Cabin Fever

Looking for New Harness Suggestions

I have an older Hunters Safety System Pro Series harness. I would like to get away from the full vest and into a lighter slimmer harness. Suggestions?

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Rock climbing harness, you’ll never go back to full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I prefer a rock climbing harness as well. For me the pros are no fear of suspension trauma, easier to self rescue with the rope in the front and able to add and remove clothing layers easily without disconnecting. My cons are more difficult to take a leak, most climbing harnesses don't double as a linemans belt unless you modify them, takes a moment longer to put on. Regarding time to put on, if I had bought a speed harness it would be as fast or faster but I opted for a entry level model. Regarding linemans belt, I just use the generic harnesses that came with my stands when I need a linemans belt to hang sets.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting. I've never looked into a rock climbing harness before, but just watched a few videos to see what you were talking about. Looks pretty nice! Thinking I'll go with one of them. Any particular ones you would recommend? Advantages one over the other?

Rock climbing harness, you’ll never go back to full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's true!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, phade said:

Black Diamond.

Which model are you using or would you recommend?

I like my rock climbing harness ,I just wish it had loops on the hips for attaching a linesman belt.

• Like 1

Vario Speed is the most common selection from Black Diamond.

www.pursuitoutdoors.com or pursuitoutdoorstrailcameras on Facebook
Trail Camera Sales, Reviews, and Troubleshooting - PM for HNY pricing!

I'm not sure they would be a 100% replacement to the rock climbing harness option (I'm not sure if they are rated to handle a fall from a treestand), but you may want to consider one of the tree saddles that are currently on the market (aerohunter.us, tethrdnation.com, trophyline.com).  I've used a saddle as a portable hunting option with my climbing sticks and platform as well as in my pre-hung treestands throughout this past hunting season.  It has worked out well for me and is quite comfortable.  Just another option to ponder.

Edited by escpen

I know nothing about rock climbing, but these harnesses look more like fall prevention equipment than fall arrest equipment. To my way of thinking, you would need to be tethered close to the tree so that you could not fall.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, cdbing said:

I know nothing about rock climbing, but these harnesses look more like fall prevention equipment than fall arrest equipment. To my way of thinking, you would need to be tethered close to the tree so that you could not fall.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Regardless of which one you go with ,you shouldn't have any slack in the tether .