Which Sight?

SFD33

I also shoot left handed, most sights say if they can be switched to suit a lefty. This can be a pain to do though, I got a Tru glo DDP and let me tell you flipping the pins on that was a bit of a pain in the arse. I suppose it wouldn't be as bad on a sight that has all the same sized pins.

You can get anything you want for say 60-100 bucks, I would look for one with a level and .19 diameter pins and a light. I got my wife a nice Apex 4 pin for I think $60 last year, thats a good sight and a fair price. I would look for sights with metal parts, the plastic one seem to slip or break rather easily.

I have two home-made sights that use 3 "ring" - pins on each one. It was made from a pair of old Cobra sights. The last picture below shows the cobra pin modifications.

The theory is that concentricity is the easiest thing for the eye to establish. So the ring (about 5/32" dia.) is centered in the peep sight aperture, and the target is centered in the ring. It all becomes second nature. In fact those of us that use a peep sight are already using the theory of "centering". What I have found is that there is a real advantage to not having some ball on the end of the pin that covers up the center of the target that I am shooting at. Advantage #2 is the fact that the ring and whatever is in the center of it are very easy to see in diminished light, so there is no concerns about fiber optics or other lighting systems.

I have used this sight since the early 80's, and it works well for me. Unfortunately, it is nowhere on the market or is it likely to be in the near future. So anyone interested in a good winter project might try coming up with something like this. The bad news is that a winter project will not be helping you out with your immediate need for this year. I'm sure that others will have some good recommendations.

post-11-0-88440200-1316112395_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-27464500-1316112478_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-61441200-1316112511_thumb.jpg

I think the sights I have on 2 bows are Tru-Glo Range Rover Bright sights . They are single pin sights that can be easily set up or down . I leave it set at 20 yards and if I need to change , it just takes a push with the thumb to adjust . It has a locking screw that I have tightened until I get in the stand .

Multi pin sights are fine . I , personally never cared for them .

As a left handed shooter. there is only one sight i would recommend. montana black gold. it comes left handed. and has a photo sensitive shade to dim the unbeleviablly bright micro pins as it get later in the morning and it will lighten again toward evening. It comes in 3 and 5 pin models. it also has a level that is easy to see. once you look through a peep at one you will never look at a different sight. tha pins are small enough that they do not obscure your target and still do not obscure the vitals at 65 yards. My friend bougth a new trophy ridge to hunt elk with in colorado but after he saw mine he switched. I used trophy ridge previously and was happy untill i saw the black gold....i'd never switch back

Edited by G-Man

dang doc those things look ancient lol... but if it works for you thats all that matters

Actually, I have tried some of the sights that use the little bitty pins with the balls on the end and always had problems with their inability to show up in marginal lighting conditions. I also never liked the idea of covering up the bullseye with the ball of the pin. With rings, you look right through the sight-pin. Also, I found the idea of concentricity is kind of a natural way to sight on things. So all-in-all, the ring pins do exactly what I want them to do. Unfortunately, nobody makes such a thing so given the fact that I have no fancy manufacturing facilities, they do not have that finished professionally manufactured look. But they sure do work.