Peep

sweet old bill

When I had the shop put my string & cable on , I told him to put a new peep on also . He suggested a 1/4" but I went with the 3/16" and glad I did . The bigger peeps just give me too much to see .

It's a pretty fussy process in order to get it right. I generally buy the smallest one I can get and then keep enlarging it with different sized drill bits until I am satisfied that I am getting the smallest diameter I can without sacrificing too much light loss. I'm not sure what size I wound up with when I finally was satisfied.

That's an excellent idea Doc . You can continue to tweak the size of the peep until you get it just right .

Just don't drill it while still in the string or... twang... it will be time for a new string!

No, actually I have never had a problem with that. I don't put the bit in a power drill, but instead use a small pair of vise-grips to hold the bit and rotate it by hand. It's a completely hand operation. On the Tru-peep, there is a center diameter of thinned out area that drills very easy and still has plenty of wall thickness away from the string strands even if you drilled that whole area out (which I never have).

Doc

That's an excellent idea Doc . You can continue to tweak the size of the peep until you get it just right .

Just don't drill it while still in the string or... twang... it will be time for a new string!

No, actually I have never had a problem with that. I don't put the bit in a power drill, but instead use a small pair of vise-grips to hold the bit and rotate it by hand. It's a completely hand operation. On the Tru-peep, there is a center diameter of thinned out area that drills very easy and still has plenty of wall thickness away from the string strands even if you drilled that whole area out (which I never have).

Doc

I was speaking from past experience hehe....I learn alot from my screw ups!

My 1st thought was , what's the big deal of leaving it in the string when drilling the hole larger . Then I thought , what if the bit stuck and wound the peep in the string . Holy crap , that could be a disaster !  ??? .. ??? .. ???

As I said previously, Do NOT put the drill bit in a powered drill. I repeat...do NOT!! It's not necessary and it could pose a hazard to your string. Use a pair of vise-grips to hold and work the drill bit. The reduced wall thickness of the aluminum tru-peep makes the operation very easy and there is no need for a power tool. Done in this way, there is no way that you can even come close to the strands of your string.

Doc

not only a safety issue of using a power tool on a peep, but the cost of a new bow string. I had a customer come in and ask do I need a new string ? he had done just above put a 1/4 bit in and tried to drill the peep out. A sting was made of 14 strands and he was done to I guessed about 6 strands so the cost to him was $35 dollars to replace the string and set it up...