Investment year in review.

Nomad

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

you didn't sell at $124 with your $120 call? that was easy $ for a few hours

i thought the pre-tournament hype would keep the momentum going. Most of the growth and then shrinking back was thursday night and then friday morning so I couldn't have anyhow. Given the pace it was growing, I felt obliged to let it ride and when 9:30 came around it had already tanked like 10 points :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Is day trading really worth the time and effort you all put in?

depends on your job. I can easily do mine while checking in here and there. And if you're not worried about a few dollars setting up buy and sell limits makes it easier too.

So I guess it depends on who you are and what you have the stomach for. Regardless, it's not for the faint of heart.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Belo said:

depends on your job. I can easily do mine while checking in here and there. And if you're not worried about a few dollars setting up buy and sell limits makes it easier too.

So I guess it depends on who you are and what you have the stomach for. Regardless, it's not for the faint of heart.

+1. it's very rare i buy and sell the same day (day-trade).

So hold for a yr + or as it has been said, set a goal and get out when achieved?

Everyone’s situation is different. Are you looking to grow you $ quick? Or over a period of X years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

+1. it's very rare i buy and sell the same day (day-trade).

same

10 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

So hold for a yr + or as it has been said, set a goal and get out when achieved?

I do both. If you believe in a company long term, buy some shares when they're low and just let it ride. You don't even need to check in on it unless you think it's about to tank for some reason. You can hold for years and years and give it to your kids. I have (we will just say a lot) of shares from my great aunt who used to work at GE. She gave them to me when I started working there in 2011. They were $1 a share when she received them lol. Talk about going long.

You can buy and hold short if you want to ride a rumor or news. For example in early February I bought shares in whirlpool and iRobot as I had hopes a 3rd check would have people continuing investing in their homes. They're both up and I'll probably sell both soon.

Hell back in March 2020, you could have invested in zoom, peleton, door dash, roku etc. All the quarantine shit and made a killing. Now people are reinvesting in travel and entertainment (while risky) assuming the world will open back up. The risk of course is if the world doesn't.

Then there's options. That's where the short/quick money and total 100% loss kicks in haha.

• Like 2

I think many people are under-educated and try to make quick money, not understanding the risk and taxes. That said alot of people have majority of investments for long term and a small % set up for "playing" with day/swing/short trades.

I have about 10% of my funds in that latter. I did make a killing earlier this year, hitting on GME and AMC and ZOM. I've since pulled back and moved 90% back into my long-term...REITs, certain EV/Solar plays, and other dividend plays mostly.

It can be insanely stressful...ha. I am 4 for 4 with options. Haven't done one in a month or so, but 5 for 5 sounds good, too! LOL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phade said:

I think many people are under-educated and try to make quick money, not understanding the risk and taxes. That said alot of people have majority of investments for long term and a small % set up for "playing" with day/swing/short trades.

I have about 10% of my funds in that latter. I did make a killing earlier this year, hitting on GME and AMC and ZOM. I've since pulled back and moved 90% back into my long-term...REITs, certain EV/Solar plays, and other dividend plays mostly.

It can be insanely stressful...ha. I am 4 for 4 with options. Haven't done one in a month or so, but 5 for 5 sounds good, too! LOL.

+1. 

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

same

I do both. If you believe in a company long term, buy some shares when they're low and just let it ride. You don't even need to check in on it unless you think it's about to tank for some reason. You can hold for years and years and give it to your kids. I have (we will just say a lot) of shares from my great aunt who used to work at GE. She gave them to me when I started working there in 2011. They were $1 a share when she received them lol. Talk about going long.

You can buy and hold short if you want to ride a rumor or news. For example in early February I bought shares in whirlpool and iRobot as I had hopes a 3rd check would have people continuing investing in their homes. They're both up and I'll probably sell both soon.

Hell back in March 2020, you could have invested in zoom, peleton, door dash, roku etc. All the quarantine shit and made a killing. Now people are reinvesting in travel and entertainment (while risky) assuming the world will open back up. The risk of course is if the world doesn't.

Then there's options. That's where the short/quick money and total 100% loss kicks in haha.

Well being Retired now I'm what you might call a Lazy Investor ! The most I gamble these days is moving my 401K to different funds within the 401K , I go from a zero risk fund (which barely keeps up with inflation) to an SP 500 fund . I have another 401K which is managed by the Financial guy at my Credit Union and I get the Quarterly Report which I can't understand to save my life ! All I'm hoping to see is do I have more than I did 3 months ago ! Thank God for Pensions !  LOL 

1 minute ago, phade said:

What options you all looking at? Not finding a ton I like.

Same. After my gopro options success, i've just been sitting on the sidelines with that $. Nothing is coming to mind that looks good. I thought about "putting" peleton. My thought is spring/summer comes, and people forget about that kind of stuff until the fall?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phade said:

are you saying we have to pay taxes? haha

I pulled back a lot too, but kept about 20% now as I'm enjoying the options thing. 3 for 4 and my only loss was a 0.76p on AMC so it's not all that bad. PENN could/will be a little more costly this Friday...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same. After my gopro options success, i've just been sitting on the sidelines with that $. Nothing is coming to mind that looks good. I thought about "putting" peleton. My thought is spring/summer comes, and people forget about that kind of stuff until the fall?

Possibly, I'm not in a hurry to jump in but usually there are a few that look interesting, but it's kind of bland. Maybe cruise lines out a ways if the "test" cruises go well. But that's just as much an actual stock play as it is an option.

Just now, Belo said:

aapl is still a fun one. Price isn't too bad and it's bouncing around the 120's enough to make 200% gains in some cases. 

Normally I'm bullish on these giants....but people might be nervous around the value/cap and other measurables. Apple killed in last quarter and their stock took it in the face. I think people are realizing that momentum might be hard with inflation and what not on the horizon, paired with alot of that built into pricing already.

I may end up just buying into them long term at this price though. Decisions decisions.

6 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Well being Retired now I'm what you might call a Lazy Investor ! The most I gamble these days is moving my 401K to different funds within the 401K , I go from a zero risk fund (which barely keeps up with inflation) to an SP 500 fund . I have another 401K which is managed by the Financial guy at my Credit Union and I get the Quarterly Report which I can't understand to save my life ! All I'm hoping to see is do I have more than I did 3 months ago ! Thank God for Pensions !  LOL 

Think of it this way, your 401k isn't touchable. Don't mess with it because you can't afford to lose it. But lets say you have 3,5 or 10k that you would really, really like to keep but it isn't going to result in you losing your home if you do lose it. That's your fun money. If you're just trading here and there it wont go to zero, but if you're buying options it could. It also could balloon to a level that now that new bass boat is in reach. It really is no different than sports gambling, although you don't generally lose all of it on a bad bet. But who wins and why? That's very much the same haha.

• Like 2

Just now, phade said:

Normally I'm bullish on these giants....but people might be nervous around the value/cap and other measurables. Apple killed in last quarter and their stock took it in the face. I think people are realizing that momentum might be hard with inflation and what not on the horizon, paired with alot of that built into pricing already.

I may end up just buying into them long term at this price though. Decisions decisions.

yeah the price is why I'm in. They were recently in the 140's. Not sure if they go back to that, but they'll tickle in and around the 130's. More interesting will be the new phone news as it comes. 

5 minutes ago, phade said:

Possibly, I'm not in a hurry to jump in but usually there are a few that look interesting, but it's kind of bland. Maybe cruise lines out a ways if the "test" cruises go well. But that's just as much an actual stock play as it is an option.

I hit the JETS etf last summer, but now with more covid variants not sure there's enough room to grow.

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

thought about the same... but what if the world isn't back to normal as we expected? Also, many might not go back to a costly gym now that they have their bike at home and it's convenient. They're also releasing a more affordable model and expanding overseas... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

are you saying we have to pay taxes? haha

I'm not yet. Similar to your store about your Aunt, when I was a baby someone in my family in western NY gave me a bunch of stock in some NY electric company, so 1980's. Anyway, I guess it rose it up crazy high and then crashed. Nobody could touch it since I was a minor? I ended up with a capital loss credit of like $125K. Once I was a teenager and started making enough $ to file a tax return I drew down -$3K each year. Nowadays I rarely sell stock, but when I do like last year I drew down like $20K worth. I still have around $40K left to use which I will this year on a lot of my short term gains. So in the end, it is tax-free until i use it all up.

• Like 2