Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

came in fell asleep...woke at 4pm and stepped out the door to hear BANG ...on land across the street...dress and out I go...still hunted to the ridge that over looks both side of ridge and gully....the timer went off and as I turn to leave neighbor down the hill calls wounded deer ran up on us...OK I'll start at the top of the hill and meet ya....we're talking on the phone as we search........he's not following a blood trail ...just general direction...lots of fur and some droplets of blood at shot sight...I think brisket...so it's way dark and we say good by ...get gear off and phone rings....neighbor above me.....there are flash lights in your woods behind the goats ...on the ridge trail....Crap!!....meet ya out there.....they are in their buggy on their land following retreating lights...the trespassers turned them off...we meet and talk....so I get back on trail turn off my light and wait for them to leave....bingo the lights come back on....so I walk the trail to get closer with no light...don't fancy getting shot ...so as I get close I turn on flash light....well lights go off and I hear the crashing through the woods...don't even bother yelling...miserable @#%%$%^#%#%^...I hope they fell and broke something....I'm hoping it put a scare into them

what a frustrating weekend for me in 3M.

So yesterday I got out to a new stand that I set up this season. First time hunting the stand - a good funnel spot where deer come in and out of adjoining state park land. Sat from 5:30 - noon and did not see an animal. As the temperatures rose to the mid 60s i decided to still hunt over to my regular stand about a half mile away. I tried some rattling and grunting and sat for an hour, still nothing. At around 1pm I decide that it is not happening for me and climb down. I start walking to my jeep, and as i get about 40 yards from my stand I hear something crash on a knoll. I look to my left and its a beautiful 8pt. Really heavy rack with a wide spread, looks like a 3.5 or 4.5 year old buck. Where the deer was standing I could have taken a shot and bagged him, but he was elevated on a knoll and I would have been shooting into the air a bit with no backstop. There are no houses behind there for at least a mile, but my first instinct was that it wasn't a safe rifle shot so I passed. He stood there for 30 seconds, then bolted and ran right past my stand. So pissed about it, and I probably could have gotten away with the shot, but to me its not worth taking a questionable shot.

what a frustrating weekend for me in 3M.

So yesterday I got out to a new stand that I set up this season. First time hunting the stand - a good funnel spot where deer come in and out of adjoining state park land. Sat from 5:30 - noon and did not see an animal. As the temperatures rose to the mid 60s i decided to still hunt over to my regular stand about a half mile away. I tried some rattling and grunting and sat for an hour, still nothing. At around 1pm I decide that it is not happening for me and climb down. I start walking to my jeep, and as i get about 40 yards from my stand I hear something crash on a knoll. I look to my left and its a beautiful 8pt. Really heavy rack with a wide spread, looks like a 3.5 or 4.5 year old buck. Where the deer was standing I could have taken a shot and bagged him, but he was elevated on a knoll and I would have been shooting into the air a bit with no backstop. There are no houses behind there for at least a mile, but my first instinct was that it wasn't a safe rifle shot so I passed. He stood there for 30 seconds, then bolted and ran right past my stand. So pissed about it, and I probably could have gotten away with the shot, but to me its not worth taking a questionable shot.

You did the right thing.

Good for you doing the right thing...best of luck...

Well after all the horse hockey on our property last night... I didn't see a single deer....squirrel nor monk...heard shot near by but nothing came my way...never seen a time where I had so many days of no sightings....there have been at least 7 deer I know of "Shot at" hit and not recovered...wish these ppl would stop telling me about them