Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Well al my new friends with the snow on the ground in 4o area yesterday was a bust am was a mess seen 3 doe 300 yards away and the pm hunt was a wash darn full moon was looking to this morning to be a good one BUT no the deer are still in he cave where they hide for hunting season hehehe lots of sigh not bodys to go with it the worst bow and gun season in my hunting life hope ML season gets them moving got 4 tags to fill so if its big and brown its going to be on the ground hunting EVERY DAY sun up to sun down no hold bar good luck to all

Edited by Dad 6424

Good luck. Im in my stand now down here on LI. Already heard a few cars honkin so that means deer crossing the road coming towards me. Should be a good morning.

John

Goodluck john, im in my stand on li also. Hope we have a good hunt. Im only in for a morn hunt. Btw, think the honking could have been tree huggers? Lol

Yea its crazy. Just had 9 does come under the stand with an 8 following them but he never came into range. Then i look behind me and 3 does come running by with a real big 7 pointer. Almost got a shot but one kf the does spotted me and they took off. Gonna sut tight for another few hours.

John

Just came in the house for some eats. I had the buck I named Hayrake in my crosshairs at 80 yards this morning. I could not shoot, as he was about 40 yards over the line onto a farm I dont have permission for. I thought long and hard before I let him walk off. Tried grunting to him but he wasnt interested. Im bummed, but will be back in the area I followed his tracks through tomorrow morning. Gonna head up to my fathers land for the evening sit.

Just came in the house for some eats. I had the buck I named Hayrake in my crosshairs at 80 yards this morning. I could not shoot, as he was about 40 yards over the line onto a farm I dont have permission for. I thought long and hard before I let him walk off. Tried grunting to him but he wasnt interested. Im bummed, but will be back in the area I followed his tracks through tomorrow morning. Gonna head up to my fathers land for the evening sit.

That is the hardest thing to do but the right thing to do nonetheless. I hope Hayrake takes a stroll onto your land tomorrow and you put one right behind his shoulder.

Looks like a lot of activity with the snow on the ground and the full moon (2nd rut?).

I got into my stand about 6:15 snowing with about 1.5 inches on the ground.

Had three good sized but tweaking doe (not another hunter in the woods, don't think they knew I was there but they were spooked) ping-ponging back and forth through the thick hardwoods...had a couple brief broadside shots @40yds but was too picky, they finally took a quick straight line but the first open shot I had was at 100yds with open sites and sluggers...combed the ridge for signs of wounds, but I am confident I missed her clean (combed the hill, no blood, not a hair). First miss this season, it happens I guess.

Packed it in, got lots to do today before an all day Stand-Still-Drive hunt on some untouched private property tomorrow...1 Reg, 1 DMP and 1ML/BOW tag yet to fill, 10 days to do it!

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

You guys are doing better than me ...decided to switch it up and go out at 10:30am and still hunt 40 of our acres....I walked the perimeter and glassed inside....not one single track going on or coming off the property....nothing near any of the food plots .....just two sets of fox and the squirrels are hammering the corn...rabbits the clovers

I still have time Elmer. The rest of the guys that hunt the farm are pretty much done so the pressure has gone way down. Hopefully I see him again and on the right patch of dirt.

For now im at my honey hole, the stand I missed a monster out of last year on the last weekend of gun. Hoping to see a nice fat doe....

I'm jealous of everyone with snow. Not a flake on the ground here. We still hunted most of the day until my dad started getting cold this afternoon then packed it in. The wind has really piked up too. Didn't see anything today except a squirrel that fell 50 feet out of an oak tree, bounced once, then ran off. That was pretty funny.