Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Curious .... My son dropped a Spike this past Sunday and he said there were two spikes travelling together along with 4 Does . Question is : will the remaining spike be a spike next year (I should know this by now) , is it in his genes or is it food supply dependant . With the soon to come Antler Restrictions spike bucks will continue to reproduce unabated . Am I wrong on that ? My son and I have'nt seen any other bucks in the area since opening day of gun season , but I find plenty of sign ... scrapes/rubs !

This morning I watched 2 guys unload both of their semi-autos within 10 seconds on a small yearling doe. They failed to hit the deer at all. I know its been a slow season and all, but damn.

I guess they don't want to track a deer, or have much left to eat for that matter.

So windy by the lake this morning I sat in my treestand outback overlooking the neighbors meadow for the first time all season. When it is windy like this they often come into the open just off the hedgerow in large groups (6 - 9 ).

Just heard my dogs whining so I came in to leave them out....sittin at the table window hunting for now.

If the wind dies down I might head out with the climber later on and get on some fresh sign.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Congrats...!...I killed a doe at camp yesterday and she left a heavy blood trail to the posted land next door....she went down into the gully and did not go up other side with others...I left and came back an hour later ...other deer were still milling around....I had contact info on one of the owners not the other....the one I had info on killed him self...couldn't get permission from other to go in....and this is why I usually do shoulder shots...but at the shot she had another doe run into her...ended up from looks of blood ...being a liver shot....she had stopped behind tree and stood bleeding for a while before walking away.... tail and head down...no clear shots....left quite a trail...DEC has told us if they can't see it from line...they won't go in

With the wind blowing pretty hard where we were, we opted to do a very slow still hunt this morning. Just a hair past 10am we noticed deer bedded, but the wind swirled on us and we were busted. It worked out in the end though as we ended up nudging them toward my dad who dropped one, first in 5 years. I was really happy for him... Then the work started!

Bout to hop on a plane and get out of the big city and head home and rest for a long days hunt. Mad I missed the snow and not looking forward to the high temps, but I'll enjoy a nice long spot n stalk over a stroll through China town any day ! The gf keeps asking why I'm not tired yet.... LOL, I've prob put on a couple hundred miles since season started, this flatland stuff is nothing !

I had a helluva day yesterday jumped deer out of the cat tailsand the swampy areas that's where it seems to me that they are layingin this warm weather climate however thursday and friday for me has snow in the forecast we haven't had a measurable snow fall since the last day of bowseason..technically that didn't even count because the airport didn't get any snow

went out late to old reliable saw nothing then my alarm went off...so I got down ...rain had started and decided to walk out the long way and past ole reliable 2....huge wide tracks on trail ...good...then 15yrds past the stand I look over on the neighbors and Wow...there are all the deer...5 big doe 4-5 fawn and 3 buck running one doe and two fawn around like cowboys in a calf roping contest...lol......then came the low grunting....finally one big doe mouth open and panting stops and notices me ...she stiff legs it towards me but a buck has other ideas and she's off again....I slowly and "quietly" walked away...ole reliable 2 is where I'll be in the morning

It's raining....so I know the deer have been in the pines a good part of night...rained all night...which means they should filter down into the reliable stands area ...neighbors green field and my lane way ....lets hope for I'm pretty sure I'm getting wet this morning....wish me luck they decide to come in through our place and not around it...followed what looked like a great.... I believe morning..... trail out last night

Started my still hunt around 12:30...cool, light rain covered my noise for the most part...did hear something ahead for a while,

Made it to the stand around 3, fingers crossed.....tempted to put out an estrus bomb for potential second rut full moon coming this weekend.

Edited by 7J Everyday