I want to buy Hunting Land

Geno C

Guys I hear you , you would think in this time of close to double dip recession land would be a lot cheaper, but the fact is it's not. These people are asking top price for their land and I don't know why. Where are the bargains ? Maybe they are waiting for the Hydro fracking for Natural gas , leases to roll in and the roaltys from the gas companies. But nothing is cheap. I always thought that during the depression land went for cents on a dollar . And this administration said we were very close to a total financial collapse . It just doesn't make sense, economy down , people need money and they raise the price of their land. Maybe these people upstate aren't hurting as much as they might want you to think. If they were there would be a lot of land for sale at the right price. Just my opinion.

Guys I hear you , you would think in this time of close to double dip recession land would be a lot cheaper, but the fact is it's not. These people are asking top price for their land and I don't know why. Where are the bargains ? Maybe they are waiting for the Hydro fracking for Natural gas , leases to roll in and the roaltys from the gas companies. But nothing is cheap. I always thought that during the depression land went for cents on a dollar . And this administration said we were very close to a total financial collapse . It just doesn't make sense, economy down , people need money and they raise the price of their land. Maybe these people upstate aren't hurting as much as they might want you to think. If they were there would be a lot of land for sale at the right price. Just my opinion.

Well let me chime in on what I see. folks aren't making what they were in income......BUT....they aren't hurting that much either. I have been trying to recall folks back to work and they are refusing because the unemployment has that 99 week limit. They are doing side work (under the table) and pulling in about what their checks were while working full time. So what is their incentive to go back to work. We are still having a hard time finding qualified people in the market that are off work. Most of the resumes I get are from people that were hired to fill a position in the boom at more than they are worth....and they have that previous wage in their heads and won't except any less.....and they don't have to becasue of what I stated before. They aren't hungry...there are so many safety nets in place that they can sit....just like they are with the land prices. Bail out here....bail out there....That is the difference between now and the great depression. There were none of those safety nets in place then.....people truely were hungry....soup lines...losing their houses....that is what cause the land prices to fall. People needed money to feed and house their families. It isn't there....yet

Well let me chime in on what I see. folks aren't making what they were in income......BUT....they aren't hurting that much either. I have been trying to recall folks back to work and they are refusing because the unemployment has that 99 week limit. They are doing side work (under the table) and pulling in about what their checks were while working full time. So what is their incentive to go back to work. We are still having a hard time finding qualified people in the market that are off work. Most of the resumes I get are from people that were hired to fill a position in the boom at more than they are worth....and they have that previous wage in their heads and won't except any less.....and they don't have to becasue of what I stated before. They aren't hungry...there are so many safety nets in place that they can sit....just like they are with the land prices. Bail out here....bail out there....That is the difference between now and the great depression. There were none of those safety nets in place then.....people truely were hungry....soup lines...losing their houses....that is what cause the land prices to fall. People needed money to feed and house their families. It isn't there....yet

I think you have got that right.

20 acres up here, 1000 an acre. old xmas tree farm, bordering an assload of farm lands, and a creek bordering it. My lil bro works for the guy. Any given time theres anything from 5 to 50 deer thru there at a time. Turkey, geese, coyotes, u name it.

sent you a PM

• 2 weeks later...

many places for sale in this economy Geno, if you care to travel as far north as the capital area.

20 acres with a 3 bedroom 2 bath mobile home on it near bunny country I hunt, see its listed today for $57,000, theres a rental property for you or a camp.

46 acres along a pond I fish for walleye, $79,900

62 acres near a farm i used to hunt, $74k

those are all over in region 4, not sure you want to drive that far north.

that the first three I see listed under 100k

or you can just hunt NYS Land, DEC watershed properties, etc. There are so many places to hunt that some people have no idea about. I have been on watershed property hunting many times and never see a trace of another hunter on a piece of land 100-400 acres.

I hunt on private property (8 acres) and can get a buck every year. I also hunt watershed properties where I see bucks every year and no hunters.

Heres a whole list of properties! http://www.nyc.gov/h...tion_maps.shtml

Many of these receive little to no pressure from hunters.

Hey Biz,

Just was browsing this post...A BIG THANK YOU....never saw this info before. Will come in very handy for next season...Have only been on this forum for two days and am very impressed at how much info everyone is willing to share. Hopefully will be able to return the favor in the future. Good luck on the rest of the season hope u get a bruiser....

Dave you also have to take into account that if the land owners are older people, the taxes they are paying may be lower than what you would pay if they have certain exemptions i.e. if they are veterans. when the land is sold those exemptions come off and the current tax rates kick in. that is why i believe the price for land has not gone down. they have no reason to sell if they are paying only a minimal amt in taxes, therefore they can wait for their price to be met.

Is 20 acres enough for hunting deer?

Sure is I have a 20 acre piece and the last 3 years have payed off nicely. 2008 got nice 6pt with bow, 2009 got doe with bow, and 2010 my brother got nice 6pt in gun season. My hunting club is just around the bend from my property and we have 200 acres and my 20 has been more productive. So 20 is enough in my opinion.

When I was looking to buy land I drove around the area's I was intrested in. I took some address's, or simply roads, then went to the local town hall and found out who owned the property. Contacted the owner and you would be suprised at how many people said, yeah maybe......give it a try I think you'll be supriced with the outcome

When I was looking to buy land I drove around the area's I was intrested in. I took some address's, or simply roads, then went to the local town hall and found out who owned the property. Contacted the owner and you would be suprised at how many people said, yeah maybe......give it a try I think you'll be supriced with the outcome

That's a good idea,I have a guy next to me who has 17 acres and I haven't seen him in the past 4 years. Think I will give him a call, may want to sell, who knows will not hurt to contact him.

Geno,

Please be careful of the large parcels that have been broken into smaller 20 acre size lots. remember when they are all sold you will have a lot of neighbors.

Burt i couldnt have said it better myself. Ive told that to every agent whos ever sent me a listing. Im right with u!