TC Encore Prohunter

eagle rider

I own 3 encores oe rifle in 25-06 one in muzzleloader and a 308 pistol. None of them are pro huters, they are basics. All three shoot great and I would recommend to anyone. Customer service ia great. That beig said they can be finnicky, but once you get the right load, they are golden.

I don't own one, but have shot one numerous times. My uncle owns an encore with a muzzleloader barrel and he also has a .308 barrel for it. I find the gun to be very heavy with the muzzleloader barrel on. You can buy a muzzleloader at half the price of an Encore that will be way lighter in weight. I also don't like the extraction of the empty cartridge case in it's centerfire barrel. Way too hard to pull out once it's fired. I don't know if this is a general issue with all Encores, but you would think for the money they ask for an Encore that they would have developed some sort of ejector to push the cartridge out at least part of the way to make it easier for extraction. I can't see how a hunter could quickly make a follow-up shot if needed, especially in cold weather with gloves on. Compare the Encore extraction, to another single shot rifle like the Ruger no. 1 and the Ruger wins hands down in quickness.

The ones I have shot had an extractor....heck my ML even does for the primer. It doesn't kick it out like my single shotgun but does push it back. That is weird.

On the weight...mine is heavy with the laminate wood stocks but I like that. I seem steadier with a heavy gun and the recoil is definitely less

Yeah, I've read that they are supposed to have some sort of ejector that pushes the cartridge out about 1/8 of an inch which is honestly very little. Especially on a case that's been shot and has expanded a bit. I have to take a closer look at that extractor this year just to see how it's really supposed to work. I've read other complaints about the difficulty in removing spent cartridges just like we've had. I realize this is a single shot rifle and one should make the first shot count, but to me the Encores cartridge extraction is a big negative against it. I know it's a very versatile gun, but it's not a cheap gun, so I think I would expect a bit better from Thompson as far as this is concerned. I've also shot a Ruger no 1 and it's obviously less versatile than the Encores, but it has NO such issues with extracting cartridges from it in comparison.

I have no issues with mine as far as making it hard to get the empty case out, as soon as I break it open, the extractor does its job. I wouldnt want it to fling the brass out, as I keep them for reloading down the road. Maybe your uncles has a broken extractor, so its not working properly?

Maybe your uncles has a broken extractor, so its not working properly?

I'll have to take a closer look at it. I know he got the barrel brand new because I ordered it for him, but I guess some sort of defect is possible. I just find it quite annoying and unacceptable having to pry out those cartridges. I wouldn't think that much effort should be needed on a gun, especially a gun in that price range.

never a problem here with my extractors. I prefer it to a ejector since I want the brass to relaod. The whole object of the encore is to make a good shot and not need a quick follow up. I admit it happens, but once you get used to a single shot, it makes you be a better shot. I prefer that to shooting 2 or 3 times with no clue where or why

I have a TC encore 50 cal muzzleloader...I bought it, took it to the range once and then never brought it out again. I recently took it out when I was sighting in my 30-06 and can't believe I never hunted with this thing. I am def hunting with it this year using iron sights. I think the kick is nothing, but then again I was just firing my 30-06 2 min prior.