Diy atv hitch carrier

Since I lost my front rack to my rad relocate, I was looking at buying a atv  hitch carrier to get me back some hauling space when working on the lease. After looking at the store bought ones I decided to build one. I had the squared tubing and half sheet of pressure treated plywood laying around, and threw one together. The height is adjustable and keeping it two piece will make it easier to store. 

ACE05919-1F48-4ACA-A598-50A3D11D55B0.jpeg

C2E2756C-DE96-4395-81C6-DA1BB08EDE6E.jpeg

25FB692D-8719-4C9F-B726-3AA8BB63E3AA.jpeg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Don't go up any steep hills with very much weight on the carrier . Speaking from experience . 

Lol I’ve already thought of that scenario . Basically a chainsaw and a basket with tools would be the only thing on it really. The steel I used to build my rad relocate plus my two ammo boxs filled with tools on the front rack and my 3500 lb winch will add some ballast .

Edited by rob-c

52 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Dumb question ... Couldn't you have simply built an extension onto the rear rack? Obviously there's a reason the frt/rear racks are pretty much over the top of the axles. Gotta be a good reason...

I looked at the basket rack extensions  along with the hitch carriers one could buy, but I had everything laying around to build the carrier for free. Not sure I follow your comment with  the racks what’s the difference if there is a extension hanging off the back from the racks or in the hitch ?  Pull one pin and the hitch mount is off and ready to trail  ride the quad . 

Edited by rob-c

13 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Think it would hold a deer?? Or too much torque on the receiver?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think it would , 2 inch squared tubing should take it . But with 100-120 lbs on it that far out it definitely would make the front end light . 

44 minutes ago, rob-c said:

... Not sure I follow your comment with  the racks what’s the difference if there is a extension hanging of back from the racks or in the hitch ?...

Like I said, "Dumb question". Very cool & inventive fabrication!

35 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Rob. Might want to cut the corner on the 90 degree bend and put in 2 45 degree bends. I had a buddy that ran one like that and it kept dragging and bottoming out in situations  like going through a ditch.  Once he changed it he had few issues. 

Good idea, if I run into problems I’ll certainly do that. Thanks