Anyone shopping for an AR 223

moog5050

On 3/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, moog5050 said:

Unless you just buy a stripped lower.  Then you build it yourself and do it at home. 

I’m thinking that this may be the way I go. Any recommendations on a good stripped lower for a budget build? And I would guess that a complete lower is no good, right?

Edited by NonTypical

13 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I’m thinking that this may be the way I go. Any recommendations on a good stripped lower for a budget build?

Budget - bear creek arsenal.   I would not skimp on trigger and barrel.  The rest can be budget!

this lower is cool:

https://andersonmanufacturing.com/receiver-lower-am-15-open-semi-auto-multi-cal-ghost-anodized-black-american-flagd2-k067-ag03.html

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Budget - bear creek arsenal.   I would not skimp on trigger and barrel.  The rest can be budget!

this lower is cool:

https://andersonmanufacturing.com/receiver-lower-am-15-open-semi-auto-multi-cal-ghost-anodized-black-american-flagd2-k067-ag03.html

I was figuring on dropping some coin on both the trigger, barrel, and optics. And try to save some on some of the nonessential parts. 

this lower is cool:

Aka the poor pony to some pretentious douches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Any specific parts you recommend? And from what web sights?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

For your average person and first build I’d go palmetto state armory. Ept magpul kit is about $400 and a LoweR is $50. 

Get the lower and build yourself! You’ll save so much money and hassle. I’ve built about 10 now and they take about 20 minutes to throw together. Only built one with a thordsen stock and they SUCK. Self taught from YouTube .
I'm fine with my thordsen. Much prefer it to a pinned mag.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Any specific parts you recommend? And from what web sights?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Components run from Yugo to Ferrari.  Trigger and barrel are where I would consider higher budget pieces.   PSA, bear creek arsenal for budget parts.  Larue for reasonable but very nice trigger.   White oak armament and rainier ultramatch for barrels.   Just some suggestions but those barrels will not likely keep you under $500 for a build. 

On 3/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, moog5050 said:

Unless you just buy a stripped lower.  Then you build it yourself and do it at home. 

Picked up a stripped Anderson lower today as well as a lower kit, stock and buffer tube. I will upgrade the trigger at some point, probably a Larue. Next up is to order a complete upper. Definitely going.223 Wylde. Just haven’t decided on one yet. 624A9C14-D014-49D5-B3F9-20AE5957FE6A.thumb.jpeg.6c5f0eec0560e24e99ca39e8544c6368.jpeg

I was thinking of this one from PSA. 
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-mbus-sight-set-516446673.html

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 3

I've built two rifles that would be considered "poverty ponies".  One with an ATI lower, and one with an Anderson.  Both lowers were of standard quality, no noticeable machining marks, edges were deburred, and the anodizing was uniform....IMO standard quality.

One upper I used was a BCA and I swapped the standard barrel for a BCA heavy barrel. Side charger and I disabled the gas block so this one operates as a bolt gun, NOT defined as an assault rifle per NYS Safe ACT, and has a grip with removable mag.....its a good shooter, likes the expensive ammo best.

The other one I bought the upper complete from Karri's Guns, and no issues there either. Pinned mag with Mean Arms kit.  Both rifles were completed at approximately $550 each by me.  With zero extras, I could have been right at the $500 mark.  The added cost for me came from buying extended take down pins for each, and a couple minor things.

5 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I ended up ordering the complete upper that I posted earlier from PSA as well as a LaRue mbt-2s trigger. The upper comes with sights, but I’ll probably get a scope for it down the road. I can’t wait to put it together and send a few!

That trigger gets great reviews