LONG ISLAND DEER REPORTS

Geno C

I'm leaving for Ohio and I'm running last minute with every bit of the packing and planning process because I'm trying to get the last few days in before we leave. However, to keep it short with the most information possible I would say to try and get out in the woods this week as much as possible. I've been out this week and have to say the bucks are seeking the doe and at some points even chasing them a little. Yesterday the deer were moving all day. In fact, my buddy and I had more movement morning and mid-day than in the evening. I had a 2 and 1/2 year old 7 pointer 25 yards from me broadside for 15 to 20 minutes. He was watching a 6 pointer 40 yards away feeding. Doe were out traveling all day. We had a broken up 7 or 8 pointer bedding down 50 yards taking in the sun at 12:30. He got up and walked to his evening feeding area mid day around 1:00. My buddy passed a 90class 6 pointer at around 4:45. I had a mature doe being pushed around by a scrub buck with a massive body all mid-day.

In my areas I have to say for the first time in many years I haven't had scrapes or rubs like I've seen before. Very few. Yet, I'm seeing a lot more activity in these areas.

A guy I know reported yesterday getting down from his stands around 11:30 for lunch and as he got down from his stand he walked up on an 8 pointer and a doe walking on the exact trail where his stand was. He said he would have had a shot at the buck.

A lot of Mid-Day activity. Pack some PBJ for lunch and stay in your stands. It's the first week of November. We wait all year for these two weeks. Don't get out of your stands.

Halloween morning I shot that 8 pointer just following a little doe at 8:04am

Nov. 2 a buddy of mine shot a 9 pointer in the morning.

I know a lot of you are weekend hunters because of work/school. This year I have the opportunity to hunt a lot during the week and can report to everyone as much as possible. I'm sure once this weekend comes other hunters will have activity to report.

I'll be in Ohio from the 11/5 to 11/9.

Be safe and best of luck.

Edited by NY-Archer

Hunted this morning from dark-10 saw one doe creeping alone at 9. Kicked up 4 does on the way out. I saw a small 6 harassing a doe last week but nothing since and Ive seen a spike since usually its the young guys first. My uncle hunts rockland everyday before and after work and same thing had a spike chase a bit last week just lonely does all this week. My bro was in sullivan county today just a spike and a button understand. So I think we have until next week before the real chasing kicks off. Very warm still. I'll be back on LI for an am on tues maybe a full day depending on the action.

Had the chance to put in a full day on stand.Spooked one walking in at sunrise.Found a new rub next to my tree,so that was promising.Saw nothing all day.Walking out at sunset,jumped 3 different deer who were still in their beds at sunset,Hence why nothing was moving all day.Guess it was the warm weather.

blew a shot at an absolute giant today was noding off a little after a few days hunting upstate looked to my left at 730 saw a white tail up in the air cruising through brush so i stood up, saw head lift up it was a giant. I grabed my bow and when I reached down you clip my release on the string my release tapped into my bleat can in my pocket one little tap he stopped dead in tracks didnt know I was there but heard it and it was to much for him so he froze and so did i after 5 mins of him still as a statue and me too hes at 40 yard behind a pine he decide it was a little to much to handle jumped all for feet off ground spun 180 and split. it got real hot so i left for work at 930place is littered with scrapes im headed out for mornings tommorow and fri before work and full days thurs, sat and sun possibly mon. a few nice bucks down this weekend by people i know i saw some good chsing up at my property and botched another opurtunityt at an 8 but that is another story im learning hard lessons this year.

Thank you Karp. BTW I grew up in Hicksville and my family still loves there. But my last 3 encounters.

11/?/10 - big 8 chasing doe down the hill in front of my stand upstate doe stops 20 yards out broadside buck waits in brush staring she moves behind me bc I turned right to postition for shot buck steps out I draw she screams he runs. FORGOT TO MIND THE DOE!

11/6/11 - same stand same senario also a nice 8 this time I mind the doe her head behind a tree I go to draw and also turned to my right my fall harness lanyard is straight to the tree behind me my elbow gets caught I cant come to full draw it makes noise against tree bark then he jumps and bolts.

11/8/11 -2 days later (see above). hahah

Ive let a few smaller bucks walk this year and last but everytime Ive made an attempt its been 3 strikes so far.

I did have a mother and 4 cubs pass directly under stand on the 6th pretty cool to watch.

1 deer in the distance today hunted sunup-10 am same spot the buck came from yesterday but used a different trail never came close enough to see what it was and my binocs were trimed from the arsenal after my equipment mishaps essentials only and if I need to glass it I can't hit with an arrow anyway. Slow morning but its usually a good afternoon doe spot that buck was crusing bc a lot of scrapes along trail my try one spot am and another afternoon just hate moving in the rain.

I was out on Monday on public land. I saw 8 deer in the afternoon. All doe as far as I could tell. Ranged the closest one at 52 yards but definitely not in my comfy shot level. Nice to see action but need to get one down soon. Leaving for Vermont Friday for a week for there rifle season. Wish everyone here the best.