Should have gone hunting.....

Deerthug

Well I was doing some yard work and as I was reseeding I stepped on a retaining wall and right foot gave out on moss growing on wall. Caught myself on chair but right foot landed and twisted it. Ankle ok just top of foot. Laid up now with ice on it. Taught me a valuable lesson. "Don't do yard work in Birkenstock sandals". Really sucks!

Glad your going to get better quick. Im always paranoid about getting hurt during deer season lol.

Same here. Always try to be careful no matter what I'm doing around this time of year. I have a friend who ended up breaking his ankle in three places requiring surgery the evening before opening day a few years back. Needless to say, he missed out that season.

I ruptured a disc in my back on Nov. 2, 2008. Ended up having surgery on December 2. Needless to say, I missed the remainder of archery season. Doc knew I was jonesing for some hunting and I asked him if I could shoot a gun and hunt opening day. He told me I could as long as I didn't lift more than a gallon of milk and if I did not have pain shooting...he knew my physical therapist was a die hard hunter as well and between the two of them, they recommended I shoot the muzzleloader. I kind of got a kick out of it. Only other stipulation was to stay on the ground (obviously, as I was in a fair amount of pain from a pinched nerve caused by the rupture).

My hunting partner went out, set up a blind on a funnel and even carried my gun for me to the blind (it weighed about a milk jug). I trodded along limping in the darkness and actually hunted. I saw three does that day...could have pulled the trigger on one but I didn't want my buddy to have to do more of my work. If it was a nice buck...that might have been a different story.

Good thing you were not hurt too bad...but you'll be surprised what you and your friends will put up with when it does happen so you can get out in the field.

Edited by phade

Yeah. I guess I'm lucky that it's just a sprain. I know it could have been a lot worse. Someone was watching over me. Foot is still sore. So I decided to stay home this weekend and finish what I started when I hurt myself last week. Spent the day cleaning out my shed and wood burning stove. Unfortunately I could not get on my pitched roof to clean out my chimney. Thats gonna have to wait till my foot gets stronger. Planning on next weekend to go up. I'm dying to get into my stand.

Dealing with injuries while the season is open is a bummer.

Well I should be hunting today, good weather & all. But as I was getting things ready in & out of the Jeep I noticed an oil oder. Sure enough up front new spot in the driveway, pop the hood - power steering line rusted out & leaking.

Glad it feels better,your foot that is.Don't you have some ground blinds to use,have you tryed to climb since your injury just asking no need to keep hurting yourself.Good luck good weather for weekend maybe alittle rain but not a wash out.