sighting in your rifle or shotgun

sweet old bill

If you have a bolt action or break open gun, just open it or take the bolt out and line the scope up by looking through the barrel, point it at an object, then line your scope up with that object, it should get you close. Then just sight it in on the range. If its a semi auto or some other gun you cant do the look down the barrel trick to, take it to a shop or pick up a bore sight, then dial it in on the range.

I have some huge chunks of cardboard that I have been accumulating for future archery target construction. Anyway, at 20 yards, it's pretty hard to completely miss one of those if you even have the gun pointed in that direction.

Having it bore-sighted first would be ideal, but as I once said in a previous thread, when I get done sighting a rifle in, I have plenty of fire formed brass to reload .... lol.

I haven't sighted in a shotgun from scratch since 1969, but I will say that I would definitely go out and find someone to bore-sight the old shotguns before I put my shoulder through the meat-grinder. I'm not a real big fan of shotgun shooting. That's why each year, I try to check out my scope with just 3 to 5 slugs just to make sure the scope hasn't moved. It's funny how when you're shooting at a deer you never do feel any recoil, but every 12 ga. slug fired off the bench seems to mangle that shoulder.

Doc

I bore sight my bolt actions myself.  I've gotten good enough at it over the years that I can get in on paper with the first shot at 100 yards.  Then I measure where it hit and make the scope adjustments.  Many times I can get it right where I want it ( 2" high @ 100 ) with the 2nd shot.

After that I clean the bore and shoot 3 shot groups to verify it's on target.

I thought this was in the optics forum recently.

It was ........ ! Anyway , I put the single shot break open NEFs in a portable clamp vice . I look at a neighbor's light through the barrel and adjust the sight to get the same pic . Then it's ready for the range and is pretty close to being right on .

Looking thru the barrel or shooting at a big target at 25 yards will work.  One must remember that adjusting a scope to bring the crosshairs in line with the bullet impact at short range will require a lot more clicks than when shooting at long range.  4 clicks at 100 yards would move your sights one inch with most scopes.  To move one inch at 25 yards would probably require 16 or more clicks.  I've seen guys waste bullets at short range also not realizing this.

Had the 700 bore sighted but that was - years ago.

With shotguns it's right to the range. And some of you guys might think it's silly but for sighting in I use some kind of shoulder pad, even if it's just part of the soft case. Hey, after a few boxes of magnum loads you can knock the crap out of your shoulder.

It is so many years since I have had to do this that here is the stupid question :

If your bullet at 25 yards hits one inch low and once inch to the right of the bull do you then 16 cliks ( Up) and then 16 cliks to the right ?

so that you do just like with a bow always follow the arrow  / bullet...

If your bullet at 25 yards hits one inch low and once inch to the right of the bull do you then 16 cliks ( Up) and then 16 cliks to the right ?
It's much easier with a friend.  Shoot the shot aiming at the bullseye.  Look through the scope and confirm where the shot hit.  Maybe it's low to the right, whatever.  After the recoil, reposition the gun and make sure it is still aiming at the bullseye.  Now, while still looking through the scope, have a friend carefully move the crosshair (without bumping the gun) so that it covers where the bullet hit.  Next shot should be dead on. 

It's much easier with a friend.  Shoot the shot aiming at the bullseye.  Look through the scope and confirm where the shot hit.  Maybe it's low to the right, whatever.  After the recoil, reposition the gun and make sure it is still aiming at the bullseye.  Now, while still looking through the scope, have a friend carefully move the crosshair (without bumping the gun) so that it covers where the bullet hit.  Next shot should be dead on. 

Yes, this can get your gun to zero real fast.  I would recommend that an experienced shooter take that first shot, however.  I have seen a good many novice shooters who shoot poorly, so that first shot may actually be nowhere close to the guns zero.  You would be moving the crosshairs to somewhere other than the guns zero and still end up wasting a lot of ammo.

Yes, this can get your gun to zero real fast.  I would recommend that an experienced shooter take that first shot, however.  I have seen a good many novice shooters who shoot poorly, so that first shot may actually be nowhere close to the guns zero.  You would be moving the crosshairs to somewhere other than the guns zero and still end up wasting a lot of ammo.

Agree.  Or also try to use something like the Lead Sled to ensure the gun is perfectly stable. That's what I do.  The Lead Sled can also help make this a one-person operation.

Agree.  Or also try to use something like the Lead Sled to ensure the gun is perfectly stable. That's what I do.  The Lead Sled can also help make this a one-person operation.

Make sure you don't put too much weight on a "Lead Sled" . I have heard of guys cracking their stocks by usiny too much weight on the sled . The recoil has to go somewhere !!!

I weighed the cost of bullets to the cost of a boresighter. I bought the bore sighter for 50 bucks.  When I go to the range, I take it. I have helped out a lot of people there who had no clue.  I love the ones who get the gun boresighted and think they are ready to hunt amazingy scary.

I tis hard to understand that some guys think they can buy a gun / rifle at Dick's and walk out the door and hunt. But it sure does help to have a buddy like you who has a bore sighting outfit to get the gun on paper prior to fine tuning at 100 yards. I can do just about you name it with a bow tuning but for some reason I sure have a lack of knowledge on Rifle. My buddy took it to his home in PA were he has his own range and got it so at 100 yards he has a 2 inch group. I shoot it offhand at 75 yards and had a 3 inch group. I am going to ask hime to take my oldest 303 british enfield and see what he can do with it, I got about 400 rounds of army ammo and would like to try to use on wood chucks.

I tis hard to understand that some guys think they can buy a gun / rifle at Dick's and walk out the door and hunt. But it sure does help to have a buddy like you who has a bore sighting outfit to get the gun on paper prior to fine tuning at 100 yards. I can do just about you name it with a bow tuning but for some reason I sure have a lack of knowledge on Rifle. My buddy took it to his home in PA were he has his own range and got it so at 100 yards he has a 2 inch group. I shoot it offhand at 75 yards and had a 3 inch group. I am going to ask hime to take my oldest 303 british enfield and see what he can do with it, I got about 400 rounds of army ammo and would like to try to use on wood chucks.

3" group at 75 yards offhand is still a lot better than I can do anymore. Good ol' wobbly Doc! I won't even take an unsteadied offhand shot anymore. I have to be steadied against a tree or in a kneeling position or prone or something. It's hell to get old. Of course it beats the alternatives.  ;D

Doc