Coyote's

We have quite a few in 7M. Here is a trail cam picture taken over the summer. I have shot a few in recent years, but only target them a few times a year. Definitely take a toll on the fawns, the older deer never seem too worried about them. I am sure once the snow gets deep that they get a few older deer too though.

post-1591-0-74371900-1319689568_thumb.jp

Now im not sure how dumb this question sounds lol but can you use a light i figure you can other wise you wouldnt be able to shoot safely.I just don't want a book of tickets and a fight to get my gun back when im only huinting them cause there killing my buddys livestock.Witch has been getting worse and worse every year in the year 2000 is when we started to get more and more of them around the farm!!

Can you hunt coyote's at night.A buddy of mine said that you can,he has way to many on his land and we are going to be going on a mission soon to get some outta there!!

Yes, you can hunt them at night. Be aware though, that during any open deer season, you can only use shotgun or rimfire on them. No centerfire. After deer closes, you can use any caliber you want on them at night or during the day. Spotlights, night vision are both allowed, as is baiting.

BTW, the blueish LED spotlights wont spook them either, and give better light than red.

I would like to start hunting them. I hunt deer in 4O and heard that yotes are killing the population. Do you need special license or is big/small game good enough? I would like some schooling on them. Camouflage? What kind of baits?

You only need a small game license. Full camo is a must, make sure you cover your hands and face too. I just started using a new kind of bait pile, it consists of 2 cans of canned mackerel and 4-5 cans of seafood flavored canned cat food. They seem to like it. Pick up a rabbit in distress hand call, closed reed to start. Oh, and make sure you play the wind! Edited by SteveNY

There was a dead deer carcass the farmer threw down back by the river about a quarter mile from my house last year, head was detached to make the cutting up process easier, threw it all in a pile.. Was walking down back with a spot light late at night cause i heard coyotes and fox right down back of my house, saw glowing eyes and then they all scattered... I walked down the next morning, those little suckers dragged the deers rib cage all the way behind my house by the fox den down there, and the head... They are getting bold. The fox pups ran right up too me one morning and got about 5 feet from me and the momma barked and the pup stopped, put its tail between its legs and booked it back to her.

they cycle like everything naturally does.

perfect renewable resource.

coyotes are very adaptable as most of you already know, if there are 7 mated pair in a region the food sources are limited so each pair will successfully raise only 2 or 3 pups.

when hunters or trappers (trappers make the most dent in them) target them and try to wipe them out the coytes respond biologically to the increased food supply made by the missing coyotes, so now the 7 pair mated is reduced to 3 pair and the remaining pairs will now raise 7 pups or sometimes more each litter.

the only dent made in them was by poisoning, both them and everything that came around, and the coyote responded by moving east and north and west to LA.

denning coyotes are in new york city's central park and have been for years.

Like the crow, it is a resource that literally can not be wiped out by hunting.

Vermont has a year round no closed season no limit on coyotes and always has, hunting at night is legal but lights are not. ( makes it tricky) but now with night vision they are back to being hunted hard after dark.

scent control and proper set up cross wind is more important than concealment, scent and movement blows more stands than anything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/GuidesForHire/hunting/fall_coyote-1.jpg

See I'll speak for myself in saying that i no way do i want to wipe them out nor did i ever make a statement like that.I love hearing them going at in in the night time and they do look cool to see (every once in a while).But the problem is at least in my back yard and region they are over run.I see them allmost daily and ive seen a few of em right in the side of the road in packs of 2 or 3,right were kids ride their bike and people walk there dogs.It just seems that there are more and more of them closer and closer to society!!

Yea but the logic is the same how are you or anyone going to take a shot at a dog thats in the pich black.I know i wouldnt even take the shot.But if there bothering my land that bad i could care less what i have to use or do there going bye bye!!

Like Guides said, people are using night vision.

Dont get me wrong, I think its a dumb law, ignorant even and dangerous. I'm glad NY doesnt have such a law.