Coyote's

Just curious about the Coyote population in your area . I've used a Doe/Fawn baying call the last few seasons and have consistently brought in Coyotes . I've been meaning to get out there pre season and blow a few away but have'nt had the time ! I hunt Greene County ...how is the Coyote population in your area ?

I hunt on the Sullivan/Ulster County border. I have never seen one in 16 years of hunting, nor sign of them. Trail cam never caught one either. But recently I have been hearing them at night.

One guy I hunt with saw one once and took a shot at it, hes been hunting the area over 30 years. And my brother thinks he saw one in the woods once.

I spent this past Saturday trying to call one in using rabbit in distress, I heard howling in the distance for about 2 minutes just before sun up, but none showed up.

Edited by SteveNY

Wish we all said no to that question. Had one come through a few days ago, shot one week before season, shot one before that on xx/xx/11 and hear them all the time. I would like to kill them all ! Had my jack russell go toe to toe with one once, couldn't believe she held her ground and the yote ended up retreating I was beyond upset all I had was a chainsaw in my hands ! See and hear them all too often. There can never be too few coyote ! I live in Erie county. 9h, Boston hills

Just curious about the Coyote population in your area . I've used a Doe/Fawn baying call the last few seasons and have consistently brought in Coyotes . I've been meaning to get out there pre season and blow a few away but have'nt had the time ! I hunt Greene County ...how is the Coyote population in your area ?

I've seen sgn of, heard or actually sighted coyote almost every season for years now. I hunt off of rt 42 near Spruceton rd. in Greene county. Where in Greene do you hunt ?

Have several packs of coyotes around me in 4F near the Otsego/Schoharie border. Hear them every night and but never see them while in the woods. I believe they are harder to hunt than deer. Occasionally, you will find a deer torn to shreds, so they do take them down. Don't know if there is a correlation but every year I am seeing less deer and hearing more coyotes.

Have several packs of coyotes around me in 4F near the Otsego/Schoharie border. Hear them every night and but never see them while in the woods. I believe they are harder to hunt than deer. Occasionally, you will find a deer torn to shreds, so they do take them down. Don't know if there is a correlation but every year I am seeing less deer and hearing more coyotes.

Buddy lost a doe to them last weekend. We've shot 3 yotes so far this year. They're a friggin plague. Our turkey population is way down (biggest flock I've seen is 5), they kill my grandfather's sheep, they kill newborn calves. If I could kill every single one within a mile of the farm, I'd kill all but a couple. Theres way too many of them right now, at least 2 active packs on the farm.

I neglected to mention, we're in 4G, right on the border of albany/schohaire counties.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

Gilbertsville Rod n Gun club is infested with them. They are like a bad case of Roaches. ALL OVER! Saw 3 in one weekend last year, brother missed one of them, and the other 2 i couldnt get a shot off at. I know you all have your opinions on whether or not they take a toll on the deer population, but the more coyotes ive been seeing, the fewer deer ive been seeing. Saw one the other day infront of the school in Gilbertsville, wanted so bad to run home and grab my 30-30 and lay him out.

I hunt in 7M and 7F and I see way to many of them - shot one last year (7F) - had one sneak up on me last week (7M) - tried to shoot it with the bow, but I moved too soon and it made me - was kind of funny to watch - it didn't know what i was and kept jumping up and down like a dog trying to get me to move again, then it slowly walked backed off and ran from where it came from...

This is a pic of over 100 killed last winter by yjis group of hunters and their dogs on the border of 6S and 7M near Waterville, NY. All within a 4 mile radius of the intersection rt 12 and rt 20. Holy Shit!!!! Huh.

post-402-0-28720700-1319679206_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-21752200-1319679249_thumb.jpg

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1