Gotta love going to Dad's house

firehunter48

Sp me and the misses took a drive to my parents house yesterday so she could wash our comforter...over sized queen sized comforter and a small washer. they have the new style front loader that holds a small car in it.

ANYWAYS.......while she was doing that load of wash, i was going to go to the shooting club with Dad to sight in the 8x57 Mauser he gave me for X-mas last year. We are downstairs getting some stuff together and he gos into his safe and says....."look at this old Mossberg .308win i icked up at the show 2 weeks ago" thats REAL nice considering you practically stole it from the guy. Yeah i did, you want it?

WHAT!?!?!?! did you just say? you heard me, do you want a .308?

um...yeah sure

long story short, went to do laundry and shoot my rifle and come home with a clean blanket for the bed and an extra rifle. not a bad day i would say.

BTW....i have never shot a gun better. once it was sighted in, i was shooting that damn .308 in 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yrds. LOVE THIS GUN!!!!

dad gave me a 16 gage hunts man shot gun that he picked up in sears in 1958 when he moved to long island used it to hunt birds right down the road from us in West Islip from 1958 to 1964 when they put up the houses I still use it once a year

papabear

Edited by papabear

Culvercreek you get that to? LOL But I do not mind. At least I still have my dad to hunt with and if it takes me to gut, drag it and cut it I will just for those time he and I have in the woods together.

Sounds like you have brain washed, mine's been doing that to me since I was knee high to a deers ass. Its part of the reason I had kids, I will need them to return the favor as soon as they are able (7&2). LOL

Its not near as fun to hunt when he stays home and I am dreading the first season with out him so hopefully that doesn't happen for many more years.

Congrats on the new gun! My old man wouldnt give me a gun, he said Im getting the whole stack of them eventually anyhow lol. Nice to be the only son sometimes. B)

I have been fortunate along those lines. I received my very gun of my own when i passed 8th grade English (was always a rough subject for me in school for some reason). it was a browning bps 12ga that i used to kill MANY MANY rabbits with throughout the years and cherish that one as well as the 870 deer gun that was a high school graduation present from him as well. other than that. i had to buy all the others that i own up until this past x-mas. maybe he's getting soft in his old age!!! either that or he knows i wont spend that kind of money on a rifle and is sick of me borrowing one of his to deer hunt with..who knows.

But i do have to agree about being in the woods together. Not that we have a bad relationship but the time spent at the cabin, in the woods and shooting, the relationship i s always better. seems like when we are doing that i am "just one of the guys" type deal instead the father son relationship and that makesits a lot more enjoyable experience.

although last weekend when we were walking out of the cabin, the neighbors dog got out of their house and was up on our property and when we came out the dog came out from behind the wood pile and scared the living (insert swear word of choice here) out of us both and he immediately did the arm in front of me and push me back thing that all parents do when put into a potential ugly situation. all of you parents out there know what i am talking about. either way, it was cool that he still did that to his little boy thats 37 now. and the dog is damn lucky neither one of was turkey hunting and had a shotgun in our hands. lol

• Like 1

I have been fortunate along those lines. I received my very gun of my own when i passed 8th grade English (was always a rough subject for me in school for some reason). it was a browning bps 12ga that i used to kill MANY MANY rabbits with throughout the years and cherish that one as well as the 870 deer gun that was a high school graduation present from him as well. other than that. i had to buy all the others that i own up until this past x-mas. maybe he's getting soft in his old age!!! either that or he knows i wont spend that kind of money on a rifle and is sick of me borrowing one of his to deer hunt with..who knows.

But i do have to agree about being in the woods together. Not that we have a bad relationship but the time spent at the cabin, in the woods and shooting, the relationship i s always better. seems like when we are doing that i am "just one of the guys" type deal instead the father son relationship and that makesits a lot more enjoyable experience.

although last weekend when we were walking out of the cabin, the neighbors dog got out of their house and was up on our property and when we came out the dog came out from behind the wood pile and scared the living (insert swear word of choice here) out of us both and he immediately did the arm in front of me and push me back thing that all parents do when put into a potential ugly situation. all of you parents out there know what i am talking about. either way, it was cool that he still did that to his little boy thats 37 now. and the dog is damn lucky neither one of was turkey hunting and had a shotgun in our hands. lol

You're always gonna be his kid no matter what the age and parents always do what they have to do to make sure their kids are doing OK.

I'm 45, married 20 yrs, raising a teenage girl and a 10 y.o. boy, I own my own house and my own business, yet my 83 y.o. parents (who live down the road from me) are always asking - how's business? do you need help? How are the wife & kids? and so on. It never stops. . . . And I hope it continues for another 25 years. ;)

Firehunter...I think it is really special that your Daddy gave you that rifle, and it sounds like it is a real shooter.....

But stop leaving us GUN NUTS in suspense..

How did the 8 x57 perform ? What rifle is it chambered in ? I love rifles in such classic chamberings. The 8 x 57 was basically the father of most of our modern rimless cartridges, such as the 30-06 and all of its offspring.

Firehunter...I think it is really special that your Daddy gave you that rifle, and it sounds like it is a real shooter.....

But stop leaving us GUN NUTS in suspense..

How did the 8 x57 perform ? What rifle is it chambered in ? I love rifles in such classic chamberings. The 8 x 57 was basically the father of most of our modern rimless cartridges, such as the 30-06 and all of its offspring.

I cant really tell you much about the rifle except that i know it is chambered in 8x57 Mauser and was built on a Mauser action. He bought that one used at a gun show last year sometime and then was given to me a s a gift. As far as the shooting part, i really didnt care for the way it shot much. I was using hand loads with 170gr silver tips. It was shooting 1 1/2" group of 3 shots at 100yrds. and that is the best we could get no matter what the load we came up with. The only thing i did like about it was that it seemed that it has recoil then most of the modern cartridges that i have shot in the same ball park category (.280, .308, 30/06 and the like ) But over all it is a nice gun and will continue to hold on to it for a while until i can find some thing else that i might be interested in. I will say that i have always wanted a .308 so i can scratch that off the list to look for.

Inch and a half groups are not bad hunting accuracy. It's nice to have a rifle that shoots sub-MOA groups, but it is not necessary in a hunting rifle.

I have a Winchester M70 in .280 that has never grouped much tighter than 1 1/2", and it has performed well on game animals all the way out to 400 yards.

However, your rifle may just not care for the 170 grain bullets. 8MM bullets are available from 150 to 220 grains or thereabouts. Routine load development might tighten up those groups considerably.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys.