3 serious issues

Rattler

Only the Covid-19 area has the unknowns.  The other two areas are quite well understood.

Knowing what we know about the possible economic damage and government's desire to expand authority, we should weigh that against the risk of the Covid-19 virus.  Concern for all three risks is key.

Edited by Rattler

Information regarding the virus is constantly changing and as we learn more about it, we learn the futility of our past efforts as well.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/04/20/how-many-people-have-had-coronavirus-with-no-symptoms/24046958/

If infections are more widespread than previously understood, it’s possible that more people have developed some level of immunity to the virus. That could stifle the spread through what’s called herd immunity, but scientists caution that there is still much to learn about whether mild illnesses confer immunity and how long it might last.

It will probably be months before enough reliable testing has been done to answer those questions and others, including how widespread infections have been and the virus's true mortality rate, which has only been estimated so far.

Edited by Rattler

Economists are trying to warn us, but the media isn't reporting what they are saying.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2020/04/20/trump-adviser-stephen-moore-its-time-to-reopen-the-economy-because-we-are-seeing-real-devastation/24048087/

"You’re talking about real devastation. So that’s why I have been such a bull on getting the economy open quickly. Really it’s just heartbreaking, and you see what’s happening with the food lines, with people at the Salvation Army where trucks in some cities are a mile long. We are facing real devastation here, and the human toll is growing with each passing day.”

Edited by Rattler

22 million on unemployment creates many problems.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/04/20/analysis-9m-lost-health-insurance-amid-pandemic/24049963/

"In the four weeks leading up to April 11, the number of unemployment claims passed 22 million. According to the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), that means that roughly 9.2 million workers likely lost their employer-sponsored health insurance during that time." 

So now we are starting to hear a push for "Universal Healthcare" which would be giving complete control of your health to the government, along with whatever the government decides you have to pay in taxes to have it.  What could possibly go wrong?

There is also a push for "Universal Basic Income", where the government would insure everyone gets a check to bring their income to $2000 a month.  Wouldn't that vastly increase all of our deficits and debt and make many people dependent on the government for survival.

As stated in the original post.  These are very serious issues and we need to be looking at the total picture during this crises.

I keep reading the quickest way to get back on track is herd immunity.  Yes it will be devastating on some people, but shutdown and quarantine is also.

My biggest issue is the outlook is only about right this moment and our own personal well being. People say we have to look out for each other, but I do not see the shutdown as that.

The financial well being of future generations is being sacrificed because of our fears from the virus. We are sacrificing our children and grandchildrens economy and freedoms so I ask how is the shutdown helping them. How much of their future freedom and happiness are we willing to sacrifice for our own sense of security.

The decision to shut it all down and give away money will fall on the working class people 25,30+ years from now to pay back. I am not willing to sacrifice my children future for my own.

Just my view of the situation which is irrelevant, I know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rattler said:

What's the matter guys?  Too much info that triggers you?  Feel free to rebut the facts at any time.

Do you believe we are not dealing with all three issues in the OP?

all I have to see is a link to westernjournal and I do the same thing i do when I see a link to commondreams or motherjones.

hard pass

The message is the important thing.  I don't care where it comes from.  I can refute or accept based on the message.  I'm not intellectually prejudice. 

Biggs: Well, you’re seriously almost at Depression-era levels of unemployment in this country, and so that causes enormous economic stress in families and individual lives, and so you’re going to deal with those pathologies that arise because of that.

Then on the other hand, you’ve got people whose pensions and retirement are in the market, and those markets, as you know, have taken a beating, and so you’ve had a loss of that type of savings.

Then you also have people who have gone with … some kind of real estate investments, and those are going to play out negatively in the long term as well, because as businesses shut down, there’s no one to pay the rent to the landlords. Landlords then can’t pay the mortgage on that property.

So you have a tremendous cascading effect going on, and it can be very difficult to get yourselves out of this, particularly if we’re going to remain closed. … There are people who are advocating staying closed a long time, until no one could possibly contract the coronavirus, and that’s really dangerous to the economy and to the physical and mental health of Americans.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/04/21/how-and-when-should-states-reopen-rep-andy-biggs-has-answers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-and-when-should-states-reopen-rep-andy-biggs-has-answers?utm_source=TDS_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MorningBell&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRjeVlUQTRaV0l5TmpCaSIsInQiOiJGT3BUM21Cc2xyZ3Nna3grNERCRGFWNlVzamt3akQxaUJOcXJZUkIyNkZmVllmQkxSaG93amVNQjFkcU9nM3dFNzJvUE9Yc0RxOGt2QW44bDZJcGhGWEdoRitHaWYzT3VCbDR5WHBlbXhYTlp6U2xhY0lMZFZOV21CZHk3Z0tDZiJ9