Hunter dies in Indiana - fall from tree stand??

Deerthug

Hey guys/gals, seems like another one of us died falling from a treestand.

http://www.wave3.com...uthwest-indiana

Interesting comment at the end - they are doing an autopsy to determine cause of death - ummm let me guess - blunt force trauma when his body hit the ground???

Be safe out there! Make sure you wear your safety harnesses. It just ain't worth dying for a deer I don't care how big a rack it has!

Edited by Deerthug

Ya I had a close experience last year after being in the stand for most of the day, now when i do go up in the tree my belts always on

I hope you mean HARNESS... If you are only wearing a belt then you may as well wear nothing. Your death will be much quicker and probably less painful. No harness- no hunt..

Gotta wear that harness whether your 5 feet high or 25 feet high, once you get used to it, its just like bringing your weapon in the stand with you. It should become another piece of equiptment you need to hunt with. I hunted for a day last year on some state land out on long island with a friend from work. When I walked to him to meet for lunch, he was at least 20 feet in the air with a climber an no harness. Couldn't believe it. Just remember, the harnesses come FREE with all treestands.

• Like 1

Gotta wear that harness whether your 5 feet high or 25 feet high, once you get used to it, its just like bringing your weapon in the stand with you. It should become another piece of equiptment you need to hunt with. I hunted for a day last year on some state land out on long island with a friend from work. When I walked to him to meet for lunch, he was at least 20 feet in the air with a climber an no harness. Couldn't believe it. Just remember, the harnesses come FREE with all treestands.

He's playing Russian Roulette.

I'm serious, do you need to be higher than the sight line of the animal ? Deer will not typically look up. If they look up, they are at the base of the tree looking up for something to munch on. But I don't think they look up in general.

Not true. I typically climb to 20-25 feet with my climber. Deer still look up, even 15 yards out. I personally do not think 12 feet is as effective as 18+ feet.

Not true. I typically climb to 20-25 feet with my climber. Deer still look up, even 15 yards out. I personally do not think 12 feet is as effective as 18+ feet.

Mossy I would agree with you that going that high in a stand would help you not getting caught drawing back your bow and may even help scent wise. I would love to be that high in a stand, but to be quite honest, once I hit about 12-15 ft, thats it for me. I dont feel comfortable that high up because im not crazy about heights. I rely more on cover and concealment to help me out as best I could. What actually works pretty well is i cut a couple of small pieces of PVC pipes and attach them to the front of my stand and stick branches in them. Works pretty good.

25 feet! do you realize that's taller than a 2 story building with 10 foot ceilings. there is no way your getting a double lung shot at 25 feet. maybe 1 lung and and exit wound, and now your carrying a 30 rope to drag up your bow.

take a tape measure, I'd bet your not up 25 feet.

Edited by the blur

25 feet! do you realize that's taller than a 2 story building with 10 foot ceilings. there is no way your getting a double lung shot at 25 feet. maybe 1 lung and and exit wound, and now your carrying a 30 rope to drag up your bow.

take a tape measure, I'd bet your not up 25 feet.

Yes, I realize that. Trust me, I have been that high. No reason to lie. I measured with my pull up rope. Do I typically climb that high? Nope. But I always try to get to at least 18-20 feet.

i haven't been in a tree stand yet this yr. I think i'm hooked on ground hunting. MUCH easier to be silent and extremely mobile. Wind shifts, no problem. And I've been blessed to have opportunities too, just not a big one yet--all young bucks.

I've got 4 kids and a wife and a job, setting stands takes a lot of time. Then theres the grooming/cutting shooting lanes making noise and stinking up the area. Then when you get picked off by deer, you have to move your stand again, disturbing another area. i don't like hunting most areas very often so I would have to move my stands. And stands often make a lot of noise, squeeks, clanks and clunks.

If you are like I was and think you have to hunt out of a stand, you don't. Give ground hunting a try. Oh and I don't really care for blinds either. Deer pick them out real easy and you should brush them in. Just think its actually more effective to NOT use one.

While in my Hunters Education class we all sat and saw a video on tree stands and I agree no matter what height you are or what kind of tree stand you are using you must wear your full-arrest harness aka full body harness. In my opinion I think that should be made into a law if you are caught in a tree stand with out a harness on you should just be told to leave the lands that you are on.

I had a deer look right up at my yesterday. I was standing still, 17 feet up in my climber and had the wind in my favor. It was a first year doe, and she got within 30 yards of me from behind me and started checking me out. She stood there and stared at me doing the ol' head bob and stomped her foot a few times. She couldnt figure out what I was, but there was no doubt whatsoever that she looked up. Deer do look up, quite a bit actually.

I always wear my harness, and also have a buddy that wont wear one. He has even fell out of a stand in the past and still wont wear one. Ive gone round and round with him about it, makes no difference to him. I do not believe it needs to be a law though.

While in my Hunters Education class we all sat and saw a video on tree stands and I agree no matter what height you are or what kind of tree stand you are using you must wear your full-arrest harness aka full body harness. In my opinion I think that should be made into a law if you are caught in a tree stand with out a harness on you should just be told to leave the lands that you are on.

I know you mean well but why should there be a law enforcing something that hunters should want to do with out a law. Senseless just like seat belt and motorcycle laws. If people are that dumb not to wear them then so be it.

......She couldnt figure out what I was, but there was no doubt whatsoever that she looked up. Deer do look up, quite a bit actually........

Think about it.... how tough is it for a deer to see 20 or 30 feet in the air simply by using their peripheral vision. When I'm walking through the woods, I can see way the heck up in the air without even tipping my head. The farther away I am the higher my peripheral vision can pick out items. How high would you actually have to go up to be completely out of sight of a deer at say 30 or 40 yards?

Somebody said something about relying more on cover than height. I think they got it right. If your going to pick out a tree that looks like a telephone pole, I doubt you can get high enough to be out of sight.

Deer will look up? ....... Darn right they will. I've seen them do it.

In regards to the safety harness, I wouldn't feel safe in a tree without one. And not just those cheap ones that come with the stand, the nice 130$ ones by hunter safety give you complete freedom of movement. When your life and your livelihood are in jeopardy, 130$ is a small price to pay. And I always wear the safety belt when I'm putting a tree stand up.

All of my hangers are at 20 feet (measure with my range finder straight down). The only thing the height really gives you is a little bit more forgiveness for movement if you havent got a screen of branches, and a little extra scent break up. Personally I like pine trees, with a screen of branches underneath, or to snuggle up in a good hardwood right next to a pine tree for my ladder stands. I put my ladders in these spots, and use my hangers to get a bit higher in exposed areas.