view from stands overlooking corn plots

OK so maybe this belongs under food plots, BUT:

G-Man what equipment would I need to plant a few acres of corn out of a brushy (not brush hogged in 5 years) field? Keep in mind we're a farm that is slightly functional, so we have big tractor, brush hog, and I think a functional plow. Obviously you need the actual corn to plan..... Is that something I could plant by hand off the back of my quad after plowing? Would I have to lime? The soil is pretty acidic.

How much poundage would I need for about 3 acres worth of planting?

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

Deerthug, looks like an ideal spot, but that corn can hold alot of deer. Farmers in our area are harvesting soybeans, and planting no-till wheat, taking advantage of the nice weather. The corn moisture is still higher then they like, because of late planting, but these days will knock that down. We just got or first frost-freeze end of last week to start the dry down.

Well if you drill it at one plant every 4 in. 28 in rows 50 lbs does about 2-1/2 acres. broad casting probably 50% more for same size..you dont want it to heavy as it will stunt itself.. The biggest thing corn needs is nitrogen(urea 45-0-0) when its about 1-2 ft high. if its reddish in color is ususally lack of potassium. For the old field ..plow disk and then harrow in (a spiked tooth would work best as it would drag seeds into rows) you can make one out of a 2x10 with 20d nail driven through and add weight on the top(rocks cinderblocks ect). corn loves growing in fresh turned over sod. If you know your soil is extremly acidic you would probably want to lime. But my theory is anything is better than nothing, your corn might be stunted and have small ears but a 1/2 acre of 3" ears is better than a field of goldenrod.. There is seed corn roundup ready(nice to spray and kill the weeds.) from the wild turkey federation,safari club and other sportsman clubs for free(must be left for game no harvest) the turkey fed make you sign a letter stating you wont sell it or harvest. thats where i get mine. you can try feed corn as most is rr ready now but why not use free certified seed?? Grows broadcast looks good could be a little thiner perhaps to create better ear production.

Deerthug, looks like an ideal spot, but that corn can hold alot of deer. Farmers in our area are harvesting soybeans, and planting no-till wheat, taking advantage of the nice weather. The corn moisture is still higher then they like, because of late planting, but these days will knock that down. We just got or first frost-freeze end of last week to start the dry down.

Based on the amount of water I saw last weekend, they are probably not gonna harvest it until December unless we really get a string of really cold weather days. The doe I shot at and missed last Saturday came out of the corn on the left side of the pictures.

I hope the cold and snow knocked down a lot of the wild brush and weeds in front of my stand so I can get a clear shot.

• 2 weeks later...