New to food plots

We currently have an 85 acre hunting lease. This year will be our third year on it. Starting to get the deer patterned and now would like to add in food plots. It is all woods, however the farmer next to us has hay fields and 1 corn field. Thinking about using whitetail institute. Has anyone used their clover, fusion, vision, no plow, winter greens, bow stand or secret spot seeds? Thinking of trying a variety of seeds in the logging roads that we dont travel on to see what's best. Also what do you guys use to kill the grass and weeds already there

FarmWorks Grass & Weed Killer 41% Glyphosate to kill weeds.

If your ph is low don't try the clover or fusion. They have a product called whitetail extreme that is a chicory clover blend for low ph. If your ph is 6.0 or above fusion or straight clover is a superior draw without a doubt. Sounds like your aiming for a "transition" plot which I think is a great idea. I wouldn't mess with the no plow mix or anything grain based. Go to your local ag supply and you will get way way way more bang for your buck as far as cereal rye or wheat. Winter greens is great for late season if it lasts but I think their beets and greens is much better and the same price. Also the tubers will help your soil more then the winter greens which is mainly rape and kale. 

If you decide on clover get it in the ground asap because it takes a while to draw deer. But man that sounds like a great setup if you can get some logging roads planted that are between bedding and a hay field.

If it were me I would try winter greens or beets and greens this year and overseed with rye or wheat in September, then next year plant a clover plot. I shot my buck September 29th over a radish plot so the false information about brassicas only being a draw after a frost is false.

8 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

First two pictures are WTI extreme which was mowed down my deer in October four months after planting. 

Next two are beets and greens.

Screenshot_20200508-201741_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-201827_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-201633_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-201533_Photos.jpg

Do you till the ground. I've got a metal bed frame I was hoping to use to scrap the ground up then use a empty plastic yard roller to go over the seeds. But have no way to till

3 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Beets and greens are tiny seeds as are clover so I say no. I would spray glyo at double the recommended rate and spread seed the same day. For clover now for brassicas late July early August.  

So plant clover now and typically anything else around July?

Clover now but brassicas kinda depends on your goal and where your at (in 5H I have the best luck July 1-15) 3m I think you could get away with mid August just as an example. Grains anywhere from late August to early mid September. Like Land said rye will grow almost with no tillage and little sun. You can always top a clover plot with rye or wheat.

Remember it may take a couple of.seasons for deer to find and eat brassica especially if not in the area where they are familiar with it. 

As for tilling it's easy to make a planker.. 2x 12 x ? ( how ever long you want 5 or 6 ft is enough ) Use 3 or 4 and nail/ screw together about 2 inches overlap legnth wise.. drive 20 penny nails thru the remaining board width , you can pile block or stone on top for weight, it will. Break up.surface and smooth to about 1.5 inches.  More than enough for any small seed, like clover simply brodcast and roll. or for  cereal grain simply broadcast and flip over to drag it in . Then roll. 

Pressure treated will last for years..

I use a York take to scratch up the ground behind my house and it works great. I prefer to scratch the surface before spreading seed. FYI whitetail institute has great seed. Logging roads I’d strictly do rye.

You need to make sure you get sunlight in these areas first. As in as long as other grasses and weeds are growing you should be ok. A soil sample would suit you well but, If it were me spray this area with Glyphosate now on a warm day, throw down some clovers and cereal Rye(Cereal Rye will grow basically anywhere) I believe this would be your best shot at getting anything to last from browse pressure as well as getting a decent stand or germinating seeds... You can scratch the soil anyway you want if you choose to, but if the soil is already exposed just seed it before a good rain..