Chipmunk clucking..........

scobar

I was told by a relative recently that the non-stop " barking" or "chirping" noise was a female mating call. My relative found that info on the internet so I really am not sure when or how long the chipmunk mating season is. It could be territorial.

Happily I caught the one living in my siding today and took it miles away to a nature area.

Edited by 132 eight pointer

Interesting. Now that you mentioned it, I spent 6 years at the University of Michigan (yes, I party a whole lot but sadly, didn't party enough) and I don't think I saw one out there at all.

Edited by Elmo

I dated someone from Mich and when she was here she thought that they were just cartoons and not real. She said they didn't have them out there. I thought it was funny.

lol, that is funny... I could tell you a similar story about my grandma that grew up in Nebraska, but I dont think its appropriate for the forums...

I dated a girl from Kentucky once that thought it was amazing that I was over 20 years old and still had all of my teeth....

LOL. I think it's the Mountain Dew soda they seem to like so much down south that does a number on them! They once did a whole program on 20/20 talking about it. Funny and sad all at the same time.

LOL. I think it's the Mountain Dew soda they seem to like so much down south that does a number on them! They once did a whole program on 20/20 talking about it. Funny and sad all at the same time.

I think its the fact that their family trees look like they belong in a tropical region.

For those that didnt get that, Im talking about Palm trees.

I've experienced that chipmunks have two main 'types' of cluck:

A sharp chirp, quite loud-- this seems to be a danger warning. Often preceded by a loud trilling noise as they run to a vantage point to 'yell' at you or any other predator.

A lower cluck that is heard long distances- This seems to be some sort of communication thing, sort of like a bunch of squirrels doing their low bark (not the one where they are upset at you and trashing their tails). Entire populations of chipmunks in an area will get to doing this all at once sometimes.