Chipmunk clucking..........

scobar

You're a nice guy... I not sure I would have been so nice.

I use a live trap so it is pretty easy to just drive over to a nature preserve and let it out .Actually it is easier than having to shoot one and get rid of it.However shooting them does help control the population.

Edited by 132 eight pointer

Tonight I would have welcomed a chipmunk clucking. What a boring hunt. Not even a squirrel. In fact I don't think I even saw a bird.

Was out all day yesterday. Saw one squirrel and I can count the number of chipmunks I saw in one hand. A couple of weeks ago I would see that within an hour. Did the freak snow storm mess up natures biological clock?

Tonight I would have welcomed a chipmunk clucking. What a boring hunt. Not even a squirrel. In fact I don't think I even saw a bird.

I hate hunts like that. I always wonder what I am missing-- why is 'everyone' hiding?, especially on days where there is no obvious cause such as a weather shift or a pressure system coming through...

Does anyone have a recipe for chipmunk stew?

First, you are going to need about 10 or so fat chipmunks - best thing to do is capture the little buggers and fatten them up. This way you can make sure they are disease free. Also, you can monitor what they eat. Unless you don't care then, just go out and hunt down 10-15 chipmunks. If you use a shotgun, please make sure to remove all shot from the meat first. IF you use any of the three chipmunks, please make sure they are fresh kills - makes it easier to peel the fur off.

Make sure you decapitate them right after and strip their fur off. Hold them upside down to make sure all the blood runs out.

Save the fur - you can make a nice pair of gloves with them later.

With a sharp knife, de-bone the little guys, but save the bones. Once you have your pile of bones, put them in a 2 qt pan and boil them. You will use this as your stock for your stew.

Chop up meat into fine pieces or grind.

• 2 lb. Chipmunk meat pieces

• 1 small yellow onion, chopped

• 1 small green pepper, chopped

• 2 stalks of celery, chopped

• 2 large carrots, chopped

• 3 potatoes, large chunks

• 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

• 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste

• salt and pepper to taste

Use your broth you made from the bones to boil the meat in a large sauce pot on low heat.

Make sure you do this slowly, use a slow cooker to make the meat tender. Cook for about 3 hours on low heat. Then let it set for 30 minutes and skim off any fat.

Add potatoes; cook until tender, bring up to a low boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.

ADD all remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

SPOON into soup bowls

Edited by growalot

First, you are going to need about 10 or so fat chipmunks - best thing to do is capture the little buggers and fatten them up. This way you can make sure they are disease free. Also, you can monitor what they eat.

Just a note that in NY, it's illegal to possess live native wildlife without a permit!

• 4 weeks later...

First, you are going to need about 10 or so fat chipmunks - best thing to do is capture the little buggers and fatten them up. This way you can make sure they are disease free. Also, you can monitor what they eat. Unless you don't care then, just go out and hunt down 10-15 chipmunks. If you use a shotgun, please make sure to remove all shot from the meat first. IF you use any of the three chipmunks, please make sure they are fresh kills - makes it easier to peel the fur off.

Make sure you decapitate them right after and strip their fur off. Hold them upside down to make sure all the blood runs out.

Save the fur - you can make a nice pair of gloves with them later.

With a sharp knife, de-bone the little guys, but save the bones. Once you have your pile of bones, put them in a 2 qt pan and boil them. You will use this as your stock for your stew.

Chop up meat into fine pieces or grind.

• 2 lb. Chipmunk meat pieces

• 1 small yellow onion, chopped

• 1 small green pepper, chopped

• 2 stalks of celery, chopped

• 2 large carrots, chopped

• 3 potatoes, large chunks

• 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

• 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste

• salt and pepper to taste

Use your broth you made from the bones to boil the meat in a large sauce pot on low heat.

Make sure you do this slowly, use a slow cooker to make the meat tender. Cook for about 3 hours on low heat. Then let it set for 30 minutes and skim off any fat.

Add potatoes; cook until tender, bring up to a low boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.

ADD all remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

SPOON into soup bowls

I heard you can fatten them up by feeding them toaster waffles. Lmao.

I was at a Lawn / Garage Sale last summer . A woman picked up a very small Have-a-heart trap and asked the owner if it would work for chipmonks . The owner said it worked like a charm and she was able to get rid of her chipmonk problem .

The other lady asked how she got rid of the ones she caught and the owner said , we take them out to Dolomite Park in Walworth and release them . The other woman looked shocked and said , what the hell . That's where we live is on Lewis road . ( Dolomite Park is on Lewis Road in Walworth )

I laughed my butt off . One woman's problem became the others !

I was at a Lawn / Garage Sale last summer . A woman picked up a very small Have-a-heart trap and asked the owner if it would work for chipmonks . The owner said it worked like a charm and she was able to get rid of her chipmonk problem .

The other lady asked how she got rid of the ones she caught and the owner said , we take them out to Dolomite Park in Walworth and release them . The other woman looked shocked and said , what the hell . That's where we live is on Lewis road . ( Dolomite Park is on Lewis Road in Walworth )

I did think about that happening, I was hoping the fox,coyotes,hawks etc. would keep the chipmunks controlled at the nature area I was releasing them.

hahaha :D

I did think about that happening, I was hoping the fox,coyotes,hawks etc. would keep the chipmunks controlled at the nature area I was releasing them.

Just remember without a nuisance wildlife control license it is illegal to transport live animals to relocate. A private citizen MUST terminate the animal or hire someone with a license to relocate it. From what a ECO told me, you can be fined a substantial amount if caught.

http://nwco.net/03-LegalIssues/3-2-4-WhatsLeft.asp

I took care of over 250 chipmunks in my yard this past summer from Memorial day through the end of October.