True or False (poaching a deer at night)

ELMER J. FUDD

Not sure, but when I was in PA I saw tons of people driving around "spotlighting", not hunting or poaching. Just driving back roads with 1 guy shining a spotlight out looking for big bucks, then hunt that area the next morning I assume?

Not sure, but when I was in PA I saw tons of people driving around "spotlighting", not hunting or poaching. Just driving back roads with 1 guy shining a spotlight out looking for big bucks, then hunt that area the next morning I assume?

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of people like to spotlight deer just to see them. I do it from time to time, but not as much in recent years as I used to.

• Like 1

I got a 120# doe this year with the spotlight / rifle... Nuisance permit of course ( still felt wrong but all legal ) and I can tell you the eyes looked normal. She had a little bald spot on her head which we looked at closely and nothing about her eyes were odd. That would be my only experience night hunting

I think they can approximate how long ago the deer was killed by something in the eye. I don't think that it has anything to do with a spot light. For example, if a DEC officer finds someone with a deer at 7am, and they can tell by the eyes that it was killed 6 hours ago, it was obviously killed after legal hunting hours.

Never heard of it, but logically, it might be possible. If you think how your eye works, the iris 'opens' up during night to let more light pass into the eye. Get hit with a bright light at night, and you get night vision blindness because too much light enters the eye, over stimulating the optic nerve.. Killing a deer at night without spotlighting it would probably keep the iris open in death, and maybe 'iris' apeture diameter info is available somewhere..

I've never heard of this before. Like someone mentioned earlier an ECO can approximate the time of death (TOD) by the eyes. However, to deterime the actual TOD they use a tempeture scale based off ambient temp. and temp of the deer. The temp is usually taken in the hindquarter since this is the largest muscle mass and the liver (most commonly used in humans to determine TOD in homicides and such) is usually gone by the time an ECO gets to the scene.

• 4 years later...
Abstract
Vitreous humor and liver samples were collected from hunter-harvested elk (Cervus elaphus) and mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) in Idaho (USA). Concentrations of calcium, chloride, potassium, sodium, urea nitrogen and selenium were determined and evaluated according to species, age, gender, geographic location, and time elapsed following death. Vitreous humor analysis yielded reliable biochemical information for < or = 96 hr subsequent to the death of the animal. Vitreous potassium concentration changes over time could be used to estimate the time that elapsed following death.