Any Frog Hunters?

Delete

I love to but seems it is hard to find a good bunch of big ones. Couple of spots in used to go are now private.  When I used to trout fish a lot we used to take a few here and there and save them up to go with a fish fry.  I don't see really any on Oneida , might have to try fish crick sometime and the back sets. 

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I love to but seems it is hard to find a good bunch of big ones. Couple of spots in used to go are now private.  When I used to trout fish a lot we used to take a few here and there and save them up to go with a fish fry.  I don't see really any on Oneida , might have to try fish crick sometime and the back sets. 

I’m lucky to know of a few little ponds in my area that hold some frogs. You kind of have to wait for the to dry up a little bit in order to get at them, but it’s fun. I used to hunt them with an air rifle, but retrieving them was a b!*tch, so I started gigging a few years ago. I usually get enough for a couple of messes later on n the summer. 

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I always use a fish pole and a panther Martin spinner fly.  Then carried a creel to put them in. 

Yeah air rifle is fun. But getting to them isn't.  Lol

Now that is a man using his head!

In Lewis County, some folks would carefully guard the location of their best grouse and woodcock coverts or favorite brookie stream. But there was another group that was even more closed lipped about where their frogging spots were. They would park a long way away and walk indirect routes. 

Just now, Farflung said:

In Lewis County, some folks would carefully guard the location of their best grouse and woodcock coverts or favorite brookie stream. But there was another group that was even more closed lipped about where their frogging spots were. They would park a long way away and walk indirect routes. 

Lol. Two of my old spots were in Lewis co.  And some of my favorite Brook trout streams.  

Used to have a camp on Chase lake. 

58 minutes ago, Farflung said:

i have been on Chases and Brantingham a lot. More for socializing with folks, rather than fishing. Spent a ton of time on the state land around that area, especially around the horse trail area.

Before those horse trails were built I had a sweet blueberry spot in there.  I've been down every little trail out there.  Lol. Confusion flats, Eatonville, etc...caught a lot of brookies years ago in those little streams.

One year during hunting season me, my Dad and uncle were going near pitcher pond and a guy was coming out with a 4 pt on his hood and a bear over his trunk on this little car.  We stopped to talk for sure and he said he was cleaning the deer and heard noise and a bear walked thru and he shot that too.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

There were lots of big frogs on Goose bay up on the St Lawrence river this weekend.  I was casting a yellow weedless frog along the shoreline for bass and the big bullfrogs were going nuts over it.  I hooked a few.  They would come from more than 10 feet away to chase that little yellow fake frog.  I don't know if they wanted to eat it, screw it, or if they were just defending their turf. 

It would not have taken much effort to catch a bushel of them up there.  I had frog legs once down in Charleston SC and they were pretty good.  How do you cook them ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

There were lots of big frogs on Goose bay up on the St Lawrence river this weekend.  I was casting a yellow weedless frog along the shoreline for bass and the big bullfrogs were going nuts over it.  I hooked a few.  They would come from more than 10 feet away to chase that little yellow fake frog.  I don't know if they wanted to eat it, screw it, or if they were just defending their turf. 

It would not have taken much effort to catch a bushel of them up there.  I had frog legs once down in Charleston SC and they were pretty good.  How do you cook them ?

Breaded and fried, deep fried or pan, doesn’t matter. There are some fancier recipes out there, but I’ve never tried them. 

16 hours ago, wolc123 said:

They are also really easy to clean. Cut where the two legs stay together and then skin peels right off and cut by bottom joint of foot. Takes 10 seconds. 

I would've been after them more than fish. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Used to go at a posh golf course with the golf pro and his sons.  We’d use 18’ golf ball retrievers ( they’re telescopic to what length you want ) . Had about 3’ of mono and a fish hook with red piece of yarn on hook. Dangle in front and instant frog.  Great eating for sure 

• Like 3

I generally have the best luck gigging late in the summer, so I’m thinking about heading out next weekend to get a mess of hoppers. Anyone else hunt frogs?
You aren't by any chance using Splitear's computer are you?

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

You aren't by any chance using Splitear's computer are you?

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Haha, more boogeymen I see. I liked being Stormy better. 

Haha, more boogeymen I see. I liked being Stormy better. 
I'll take that as a confirmation you indeed are Leland B. The musician that was supposed to perform at SPAC this year and had an extreme disdain for our current president. Welcome back though idk why you didn't just keep the same username

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

Robhuntandfish- Your mentioning Pitcher  Pond reminded me of being on pitcher pond road about 18 years ago. During muzzleloading season, I came up behind a guy driving along slow, scoping out the woods/brush on the side of the road. I was almost to a spot where a doe and twin fawns had been hanging.  He coasted to a stop, and the barrell of a muzzleloader slid out. He was about to shoot when he looked in his mirror. Where I sat in my DEC vehicle. The gun slid back in and he was back on his way. I was quite amused.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farflung said:

Robhuntandfish- Your mentioning Pitcher  Pond reminded me of being on pitcher pond road about 18 years ago. During muzzleloading season, I came up behind a guy driving along slow, scoping out the woods/brush on the side of the road. I was almost to a spot where a doe and twin fawns had been hanging.  He coasted to a stop, and the barrell of a muzzleloader slid out. He was about to shoot when he looked in his mirror. Where I sat in my DEC vehicle. The gun slid back in and he was back on his way. I was quite amused.

Yeah I bet he wanted to crawl up in the fetal position for a minute. Lol.  

Years ago when i was a kid. Prob 35 years ago there was a forrest ranger up there and I think his name was Bob. Real nice guy , he showed us some great trout spots.  He used to "test" the water with us once in a while to make sure the trout were healthy. Lol.

I used to hunt up there some usually near Payne lake. But deer were few and far between in that area. A lot of walking and very few deer . Now I just hunt southern tier near home. 

Been wanting to go up there and try early bear but every year the weather is so warm it seems like a big waste of time if you expect to see a bear.  Maybe take the trout pole and throw the rifle over the shoulder in case. 

Frogs are so easy to clean that they practically clean themselves..I love them although I have not pursued them in years....

The last time I had then was in a little Italian place on the north shore of Oneida lake near  Rob's home...I saw them on the menu and asked the waitress how they were..She told me they were to DIE for....

I ordered them and they were closer to something to die OF....They were disgusting...Next time I will get my own...

I currently have permission to get some on a property that is currently leased by friends of mine, where I used to get them many years ago....Now if I could only find my old frog gig....<<<SIGH>>>....

• Like 1