Dicks Sporting Goods - White Plains

Elmo

I was just looking to buy ammo and when you want to buy ammo thats chambered in a rifle they have no right to do that.

You stated you were trying to buy pistol ammo.

Back in the early 1990's I attempted to purchase pistol ammo from Dick's. The employee of Dicks asked to see my permit and I asked why. I was told they needed to make sure I was a legal handgun owner of that caliber. I told them I had a permit and they didn't need to see it. I walked out and have never returned. That crap they pull just isn't right. As you know there a rifles out that fire most kinds of pistol ammo. I'll pay a little extra at a gun shop just so I won't have to deal with that crap. Dicks lost a good customer.

Update: I returned with my brother on Thursday and they said best they can do is refund him the money and pretend this never happened. They continue to state that it has to be the same person all the way through. I ended up buying the rifle from Davis Shooting Sports up in Goshen, NY. They charged me $60 more than Dicks for the same rifle but they're hassle free. I asked them out also if it's possible to pay for a firearm for someone else if it's a gift and they too said that it doesn't matter who pays, just that the person who will eventually own the gun is the one who registers it.

Interesting . . . . Look at what I just found on the ATF.gov website. http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Page 165

15. STRAW PURCHASES

Questions have arisen concerning the

lawfulness of firearms purchases from licensees by persons who use a "straw purchaser" (another person) to acquire the firearms. Specifically, the actual

buyer uses the straw purchaser to execute the Form 4473 purporting to show

that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser of the firearm. In some instances,

a straw purchaser is used because the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm. That is to say, the actual purchaser is a felon or is within one of the other prohibited categories of persons who may not lawfully acquire firearms or is a resident of a State other than that in which the licensee's business premises is located.

Because of his or her disability, the person uses a straw purchaser who is not

prohibited from purchasing a firearm from the licensee. In other instances, neither the straw purchaser nor the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm.

In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully

aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements. The licensee selling the firearm under these circumstances also violates Federal law if the licensee is aware of the false statements on the form. It is immaterial that the actual purchaser and the straw

purchaser are residents of the State in which the licensee's business premises is located, are not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms, and could have lawfully purchased firearms from the licensee.

An example of an illegal straw purchase is as follows: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. If Mr. Jones fills out Form 4473, he violates the law by falsely stating that he is the actual buyer of the firearm. Mr. Smith also violates the law because he has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of false statements on the form.

Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances. In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473. The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

My interpretation of the Federal Law is that your brother could have lawfully completed all the paperwork, paid for it, picked up the rifle and given you the firearm as a gift.

you know we have all made the big box store exactly what they are, "BIG"....and now we are paying the price. the small shops used to care about our business. the BIG corporations could not give a crap and the people they hire could not give a crap. we made our beds now we gotta sleep in em.

well gotta go to Walmart and get some socks.