How long do you sit in your stand

RobC

I have always believed that it benefits the hunter to come out of the woods for a while. Get a bite to eat, take a nap, relax, whatever. Sitting all day can make one bored and un-attentive. It's not like all the deer that I have ever seen just walked out in front of me where they were easily spotted. Many times it takes a lot of looking into all the nooks and crannies of the woods to spot a tail or an ear. Being cold, bored and uncomfortable after sitting for 7 hours straight won't help you to be more observant, that's for darn sure.

Look, you ain't a real hunter unless you sit there so long that other hunters walk up to you and poke you with a stick just to see if you're still alive. I don't know, but it sounds like a lot of you guys actually leave the stand before you get your deer, some even leave the stand daily. What's up with that? You guys just don't seem to take this stuff seriously at all.

Well, I hunt a lot, I can hunt 75 % of the days without taking time off, but in bow i took off 3 weeks..... I like to hunt AM's till 10 or 11. then go home hit the gym walk the dog,smoke a cigar in the hot tub and so on. i do 2 AM's 1 PM maybe a both end day repeat for 2 months.

PM's I sit 2 1/2 hours or so.

Works for me killed 2 doe 1 buck, had a ton in range.I think I saw deer close all but a couple times.

I hunt my own property,Just to old with a heart condition,go out when I am ready to come back and have lunch and go and sit till just before dark.This year might have been different then others because of the warm weather,but the deer on my property seemed to walk to one peticular spot every morning and stay in that area all day long until around 4:00 pm.I would ride past them on my ATV on the way back from lunch and they would get up walk around and lay back down.This went on the hole archery and rifle season.

during bow i can sit all day no problem.Some days i intend on sitting till just 10 or so but just can't bring my self to leaving my stand.And when i do,i slowly walk back home.Sometimes i will even stop on the way and sit behind some brush and stay there for an hour or so.During archery i am in heaven.I can try to blend in as much as possible and hide trying to sneak one on a buck.See plenty of deer and that is very injoyable.

During gun is a whole diferant senario.I start to lose my interest.I havn't seen very many deer during gun season ever.I have tried and keep trying new tactics and they just don't seem to be moving when im in the woods.By the end of gun season i cant barely even get up to go into the woods.My esteem is just shot.I usally leave about 10 am and sit from 2;30 till dark.thats if i can push myself to get into the woods.

If i am hunting state land during gun i can stay in the woods all day but i move around alott.I scout and hunt at the same time.Just the being in the woods is pleasursome enough.

• Like 1

Arrow knocker, I feel your pain. i feel the same in gun many years,oh I can do ok but it slows way up.Nice to be in the woods , but I often take time off for awhile then come back refreshed.

Today was my first day out in idk 7-10 days. Saw 5 does by 8:00

depends on how much deer movement is going on. If they are chasing hard, then all day long. I get in about 45 minutes before firts light and still until last light to keep the stand unspooked. If its mid season, I will sit for a few hours at a clip depending on the deer travel patterns in my loaction. I have some afternoon spots and some morning spots.

Most of the time I'm in all day long from before sunrise to sunset. I pack myself all that need for a full day in the woods (drinks, snacks, lunch). If I see Deer throughout the morning I will stay in that spot all day. If the action stops for a few hours then I'm up and still hunting till I spot Deer or they spot me LOL. Then as it gets about 2 hours before sunset I'll find another spot that loos promising and stay there till then.

Look, you ain't a real hunter unless you sit there so long that other hunters walk up to you and poke you with a stick just to see if you're still alive. I don't know, but it sounds like a lot of you guys actually leave the stand before you get your deer, some even leave the stand daily. What's up with that? You guys just don't seem to take this stuff seriously at all.

people have their own ways of doing things. Ive shot plenty of deer without sitting "all day".

depends on the day, the climate, the movement, and the gut feeling i have while waiting. if i have a good feeling, ill sit till dark. If i dont have a good feeling ill get up and walk around or go home. Most of the time i sit as long as it takes. What i really want to do someday and have a nice inclosed box stand, have a small scentless heater, and stay the night so that way i dont kick anything up in the morning on my way to my stand. I just think that would be fun.

when I used to drive to my hunting grounds I would stay on stand until 10, usually because you would start to get cold. Then we walk back to the car for a sammy then back in the woods until 2pm, when we again meet at the car. back in for the evening hunt. What was nice with 2 breaks is we could discuss what we saw going on, and more important a lot of guys would only break at noon. When they did we were on stand and had a lot of success from 10-2.

Now I walk out my back door, so some days I will get a hour after work, and others are a all day thing from a few stands. There is no way I could honestly say I could stay on ONE stand all day without getting cold, maybe this year is an exception with all the warm weather.