How long to let a deer hang

zeke83

A couple big factors in answering your question. Was the deer recovered quick and gutted proper? Was the deer cooled down rather quick? When hanging was it out in sun or in a shed? I have no problem letting a deer hang for a few days if it was clean gutted, cooled quick and kept at 35 to 40 degrees? It can even hit 50 outside and a deer hanging in the shade in a shed will not be in trouble. There is no bonus to hanging though unless you do it for 10 plus days in proper conditions. Meat will not age in less time.

Lots of game is shot each year in climates much less conducive to keeping meat from spoiling. Think of the animals shot in Africa! The folks down in Texas, South Carolina, Alabama etc. aren't bitching too much about spoiled deer.

Hey Doc.....most butcher shops are not as big as the shop your referring to with a large staff etc.

Hey Doc.....most butcher shops are not as big as the shop your referring to with a large staff etc.

Yes, I have been to some of them. It seldom turns out to be a happy experience. I think when you find a good processor, it's a good idea to stay with them.

I remember one outfit that had a stainless steel table that stunk like rotten meat. I guess he never washed it. It was strong enough so that you really didn't have to get all that close to it to smell it. I re-loaded my deer and went on home to butcher the deer myself.

There was another one where I had to wait almost a week to get my deer back. While I didn't find anything wrong with the meat, I did worry a bit about how things were being stored over that week.

I was wondering ..... is there any kind of inspection or licensing for deer processors? Any kinds of regulations at all? Or does a guy just place an ad in the local paper, hang a sign up, and start butchering deer?

Many years ago (20+?) I shot a buck early in the archery season and it was very warm. I had a good relationship with a local "good size" butcher. He would grind all my venison for a few bucks (dollars!) each year after I whacked & stacked.

I called him and asked if he would let me hang my buck with him for a week before I butchered it. He said sure, no problem. I dropped it off and he said he'd hang it and I could come back when I wanted to cut it up. Well, when I did go back 7 days later it was siting at the bottom of a pile of other deer that had been stacked on top of it in the cooler,

That pretty much finished off that relationship.

. I was wondering ..... is there any kind of inspection or licensing for deer processors? Any kinds of regulations at all? Or does a guy just place an ad in the local paper, hang a sign up, and start butchering deer?

I can't find any sort of info that points toward regulation, so I think it might be that easy. There are regulations determining what live stock is and so on but nothing I can see that lays out a set of basic food safety rules for Deer procesing.

the shop I had was a usda inspected shop and the deer would not fall under any of there specs as a matter of fact the deer had to be hung as so there was no way one could touch any thig else we had to hang plastic between the deer and other animals and could only cut them after hours and the inspecter had to look every thing over the next day to make sure there was no trace of deer on the cut floor but beware the guy that cuts out of his dirt floor shed might want to find some one that has a nice shop

the shop I had was a usda inspected shop and the deer would not fall under any of there specs as a matter of fact the deer had to be hung as so there was no way one could touch any thig else we had to hang plastic between the deer and other animals and could only cut them after hours and the inspecter had to look every thing over the next day to make sure there was no trace of deer on the cut floor but beware the guy that cuts out of his dirt floor shed might want to find some one that has a nice shop

I did hear a rumor that the old Red & White grocery store down in Naples had to quit processing deer because of some conflicts with their regular butchering business. I never heard the details.

I understood that any meat market, butcher shop, or any other type of processor' that sells any other type of meat to the public, cannot process deer in the same building. Is this true? A chinese fast food take out place in WNY was closed down for processing deer in their kitchen a few years back

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

wow you guys left the hide on for that long? i would have taken that off the day it was shot... i have my deer hanging in the shed with the hide off for a few days. i have been sick the past few days so i did not butcher it yet. i did do the front qauters the other night. mine is in my shed, no light and its been very cold lately tho

Seen one hanging on a swing set in the sun Sat.. Went by yesterday, and it"s still hangin. I know we had 2- 20 degrees nights last weekend, but isn't that pushing it a little. That"s some really aged meat. Is their any regulation on that from the D.E.C..

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Seen one hanging on a swing set in the sun Sat.. Went by yesterday, and it"s still hangin. I know we had 2- 20 degrees nights last weekend, but isn't that pushing it a little. That"s some really aged meat. Is their any regulation on that from the D.E.C..

No wild game isn't really regulated too much, no need for it. If a guy wants to hang a deer for too long and risk getting sick, thats on him. The one in your example is probaly 100% fine by the way, its been plenty cool this week.

And there is most likely a law stating you cannot have wild game in the same area as a restuarant prep kitchen. Commercial foods are supposed to be controlled from initial processing to the final cooking process. Speaking as a guy that runs a couple of kitchens I can say that would never allow it, too much risk with others health and wellfare.

Does NYS have laws against wasting wild game meat the way Canada does? I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Regarding the reply that asked about DEC regulations against improper meat treatment, maybe if there is a law against wasting meat, there might be some sort of connection there ........ but I doubt it.

I have seen some deer hanging so long (weeks) that I just know that they eventually had to throw it out ....... or at least I hope they did.....lol.