Tree Stands, traditional wooden ones on tree's of 2 or more?

TheHunter

Wow, that is one nice stand :)

Thanks....

Very few parts are required. I pre assembled 2 leg sets then stood each up. As the braces are all the same they were precut to start assembly, the deck boards screwed on last.

I had myself and 2 friends in it...around 600 lbs....very steady.

I think a 12' version would be perfect. I needed some extra height to see down onto a flat where the second picture was taken from.

Some of you guys have some pretty exotic stands. I would guess that the real benefit of them is just the idea that you can get the heck out of the weather and put in some real time in real comfort. I do think my heights thing would still bother me, but I'm not sure. Do any of you put portable heaters in there with you?

Doc

I think I might try these... After talking and thinking, they look really really solid.  Maybe just add some railings after its up.  What was the size of the platform on the 12 foot high one?

The stand in the picture I posted was one of the taller ones.  Its platform measured about 2.5'x3'.  So the larger 12' high stand was likely around 3'x3.5' or possibly 3'x4'.  I don't quite remember.  But if I were to build these again, I stick to a smaller size.  2.5'x3' is plenty of room. 

I built the platform tonight... I did not dado cut the platform, I did use the deck joist things with outdoor treated screws.  Its 4ft x 40 inches...

I did not finish the back part of it yet, I bought the lag bolts, just have to screw them in then cut them off like you did.  This thing feels as solid as a rock!!  I used all treated woods.. Pics attached

post-1-13145532226_thumb.jpg

post-1-131455322278_thumb.jpg

post-1-131455322301_thumb.jpg

post-1-131455322319_thumb.jpg

Why aren't you guys using that plastic/wood decking material? it seems like a stand made out of that stuff would be virtually indestructable ....... FOREVER!

Doc

One word .............. EXPENSIVE !

I know it's a lot more expensive than regular wood, but you would never have to replace it or worry about breaking down through it after a couple years. The stuff is "forever" isn't it? I know that if I were going to all the trouble of hauling all those materials into the woods, dangling around in the trees assembling and building one of those things, I probably would want it to be there for as long as I might want to use it. Of course I am not envisioning building a condo up there. I am talking only about a hunting platform. How expensive could that be?

Doc