dbHunterNY

Non-accessible NY public land

QDMA Sponsor OnX Maps and the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership has shed some light on an eye opener for public land here in the northeast.

“Using today’s leading mapping technologies, the collaborative study found that more than 39,000 acres of public land in New York, 27,000 acres in Pennsylvania, and more than 14,000 acres in New Jersey are landlocked and inaccessible to the public unless private landowners grant individual permissions to cross their properties.”

https://www.trcp.org/2020/09/17/new-york-pennsylvania-new-jersey-80000-acres-public-land-landlocked-private-property/?fbclid=IwAR31JxUu2nzuLNJuHfRHMDjN0qEa_Wp-mxtAUoy6q57QNfiePKJEiPehXYY

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

I have a Long Post to Write . But first-- and, I know there are plenty here who hunt in Sterling Forest State Park. Get out your new Hunting Maps and on my next post, I will outline where a ( Prime Chuck) of " LandLocked Public Hunting  is in Sterling Forest State Park.

join BHA!

I don't even hunt public land anymore, but I did and we can't undervalue it. Once it's gone, it rarely comes back!

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

• Like 3

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

OK- and moving from my above post-- the LandLocked Public Hunting Land in Sterling Forest State Park is in the area just North of the " Yellow" area called the DDWS-- The Doris Duke Wildlife Sanctuary. About 1,500 acres. That group gave some millions ( before) Sterling Forest became STATE LAND in 1999 with the stipulation that no Hunting would take place in that huge area.

Now if you like at your map- you will see where the DDWS-- which is in Tuxedo Township connects to another ( Huntable Chuck) of State Land in the Monroe Township and colored Green.

Now- connecting to this Green area is in " light green"-- the Appalachian Trail Corridor. The Appalachian Trail itself and another Appalachian Trail Corridor on the Trails other side.

Now then- look again at the " Yellow" area of the DDWS-- and to the North of this - the Appalachian Trail . I should point out that the Appalachian Corridor on both sides of the Trail is 1/4 mile in Width.

Now Look at the Dark Green Chuck of Land that has the ALLIS TRAIL running through it.  Look for-- AL next to this Trail.        

It is this area of HUNTABLE State Land that is LandLocked...

You see- there is no access  for a Hunter to walk through the DDWS-- to get to this LandLocked State Land and off of Benjamin Meadow Road there is a sizable parking area with 2 Woodsroads that lead right into this area.

Just North of the Appalachian Trail is a ( Hammer Shaped) area of State Land  and this LandLocked area can be reached this way.  However--- there is no crossing of the Appalachian Trail or the Corridor with even an unloaded Gun...

I have Tryed + Tryed since 2000 to get this LandLocked State Land open for Hunters. I got a return letter after writing mine in 2002 from then Sterling Forest State Park Manager- Jim Gell . He wrote that he was working to get this LandLocked State Land open. Opposition from Hikers was the sticking point...

That was 18 years ago. I have wrote more letters since then, but how much can 1 Man do.. 

Some of the Best Hunting is in this area just North of Sterling Mountain. 

OK- This map above does not show this area like the Sterling Forest Hunting map- but the area is close to Prospect Mt. And South of the APPALACHIAN Trail.

• Like 1

Just saw your post and, ironically , I was just at Sterling yesterday to get my hunting tag and scope out the area cuz  I’ve never hunted there before . Looked to me like there was good access to get into a lot  of the areas that allowed hunting from 17A and 84 and also , from trails . So You can’t drive there , maybe From a seasonal access road , and park to get in ?

Reading the description that OnX used to define inaccessible public lands it's pretty straight forward. If there is legal ground access, via road, foot or trail it's not on the list. They even counted private conservation easements that will allow you to access land locked. So land listed as no access, for the most part has no access unless an individual has private access that allowed them to gain access to said public land.
Access to all our public lands should be high on the to do list of all the agency's that manage our lands.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, Kmartinson said:

You.can access these lands by helicopter 

Randy Newberg does it all the time. About 300$ a trip

In the old days when Sterling was a private club the rules stated that you could walk through the corridor with an unloaded rifle. I don't see why the same wouldn't apply today.

5 hours ago, reddyvv said:

In the old days when Sterling was a private club the rules stated that you could walk through the corridor with an unloaded rifle. I don't see why the same wouldn't apply today.

I remember those early years when you had to pay 85 Bucks to Hunt in Sterling Forest.

Since Sterling became State Land in 1999- there was only 1 year when a Huntercould cross the Appalachian Trail + it's corridor with an unloaded Firearm. 

I have wrote several Sterling Forest State Park  Managers since 1999 to get this LandLocked Monroe State Land opened for Hunters.

Unfortunately, I think it is a Lost cause. The Hiking Groups will not allow it.

wouldn't it be  nice if you could  just get a bear  suit then you can just run across yards or what ever private property  like all the other animals do  only thing you have to worry about is getting shot by a hunter lol  not a good idea  glad  I have private land to hunt and  don't  need to deal with that blackbeltbill  that's  got to be tuff hunting there .

Edited by phantom