Why do some

Grizz1219

Well, obviously that isn't the way I interpreted it. Perhaps I was reading it with too much of a bias based on other similar threads that I have read. I think it is because the lines often get blurred between just expressing an opinion, and using opinion to bash other hunters equipment, methods, etc. At any rate if that is what was meant, then I have to agree. We had two topics on here in particular that I felt were out of line. They were basically the "I hate Bowhunters" and the "I hate Gunhunters" threads. That's not really something that I think belongs on a hunting forum.

Exactly... Well said..

Ok, what do you think is the solution? When a demand is made on seasons or weapons are you then required to simply let it happen without a single dissenting word? Do you agree with every proposed change that comes along? Don't you have any opinions that you feel are worth fighting for? In the name of harmony is it your duty to ditch all your opinions and beliefs? Don't you people understand that everything involved in the legalities of the way we hunt have always been the result of viscious infighting, debate. And yes, a lot of those look like attacks ...... what the heck, a lot of them are. In my previous reply, I talked about attacks on the shotgun/rifle people and the opinions that chunks of their season should be replaced with additional muzzleloader season. Should they just roll over and say "yes sir, in the spirit of harmony, take my season"? Is that a reasonable response? Is that what you are expecting of them? Well, it's pretty obvious that that probably will not happen. If that opinion ever gains any traction, expect a huge battle as viscious as any that is going on now or ever has.

As long as you have special seasons, you will have turf wars, and some rather unfriendly sounding discussions about when and how long those seasons should be and what is allowed in those seasons. Some will call that stuff "elitism", others will call it maintaining traditions, others will call it evolution of technology, some may have strong feelings about the fairness of some changes. Probably all will have some element of truth and correctness, but the whole process will always look like battle. I sure don't like this way of settling things but I haven't heard anyone come up with any more reasonable approaches that have a chance in hell of ever working. But I sure am open to any suggestions.

I never claimed to have any answers. Obviously, it is not going to be all "roses and sunshine" all of the time. No one likes to feel like their season is being negatively impacted by the desires of another group of sportsmen. I have some pretty strong opinions, a few of which I have pointed out clearly in other threads. When you change anything in our sport, you will have a negative effect on SOMEBODY. I might not like AR's, and I'll argue about it until I'm blue, but I sure as hell try not to attack someone on a personal level. That kind of crap is what I was referring to. Personal attacks, and belittling comments are for kids. The most important thing to me is that we DO hunt, that we are able to CONTINUE to hunt, as well as get MORE people into it. I realize that there will be disagreements, but give me one good reason why it can't be handled like adults? We claim as a group to be such great stewards of nature, conservationists, and upstanding, responsible citizens, yet we go after eachother like high school girls. That makes us look great Doc. What do you propose? Cage fights? Mud wrestling? Or should we all just start b*tch slapping and pulling eachother's hair?

Edited by Skillet

the thing to remember is, the people here aren't the ones making the changes.. so being rude here does nothing but make us fight amongst ourselves... Trust me.. I am a strong believer in a lot of things.. When I see a post I don't agree with, I try to either avoid posting or just give my side... Attacking someone does nothing positive for anyone.. If you want to make changes, sadly the political route is in order.. Not personal attacks here... my thinking only...

• Like 2

the thing to remember is, the people here aren't the ones making the changes.. so being rude here does nothing but make us fight amongst ourselves... Trust me.. I am a strong believer in a lot of things.. When I see a post I don't agree with, I try to either avoid posting or just give my side... Attacking someone does nothing positive for anyone.. If you want to make changes, sadly the political route is in order.. Not personal attacks here... my thinking only...

+1

I never claimed to have any answers. Obviously, it is not going to be all "roses and sunshine" all of the time. No one likes to feel like their season is being negatively impacted by the desires of another group of sportsmen. I have some pretty strong opinions, a few of which I have pointed out clearly in other threads. When you change anything in our sport, you will have a negative effect on SOMEBODY. I might not like AR's, and I'll argue about it until I'm blue, but I sure as hell try not to attack someone on a personal level. That kind of crap is what I was referring to. Personal attacks, and belittling comments are for kids. The most important thing to me is that we DO hunt, that we are able to CONTINUE to hunt, as well as get MORE people into it. I realize that there will be disagreements, but give me one good reason why it can't be handled like adults? We claim as a group to be such great stewards of nature, conservationists, and upstanding, responsible citizens, yet we go after eachother like high school girls. That makes us look great Doc. What do you propose? Cage fights? Mud wrestling? Or should we all just start b*tch slapping and pulling eachother's hair?

I have already stated what I think about personal attacks. However, I fully expect that issues regarding turf wars and such in hunting are going to continue to be vigorously debated, and understandably so, just as they have for decades. And no, I do not expect that those arguments are always going to be conducted in a pleasant way. It just isn't human nature and it's silly to expect that to change. Also, I do not expect that such arguing is going to have one single impact on the future of hunting. I keep hearing this nonsense about how just because the hunting community is not enjoined in some sort of constant lovefest that the antis are going to simply walk in and dissolve hunting. That's total nonsense. We have survived many more vicious arguments in the past than anything we have going on now, and I fully expect that to all continue and be just as harmless as it always has been.

Frankly, I am totally against the tone of some of this stuff simply from a standpoint of it being offensive to watch, listen to, or read. But I have never for a minute saw any of it as being a problem for the future of hunting. Would it be better if these things could be kept civil? ...... absolutely. Is the world of hunting going to come crashing down around our ears because it is not? ....... not hardly.

For me.. you can be against what I'm saying... show your side of the discussion but when someone generalizes, i.e. gun hunters are slobs, bow hunters wound, etc... That's not a fact.. it's an opinion.. Yes everyone can have one.. but on a forum that can be viewed by anyone.. these comments are just more ammo for the anti's... AND, it serves no positive purpose between us... my opinion.. LOL

With all the places and people in NY and a deer population that fluctuates between towns and counties from hunting, road kill, nature and food source, we are bound to have differant opinions. Between long bow, compound bow, crossbow, rifle and black powder hunters we will always have opinions that will vary. Add into the mix ethics, tree stand hunters, still hunters, private and state land, AR restrictions and shortening of our seasons will cause tempers to fly even before a discussion is posted.

I have to be honest, I LOVE THIS SITE and enjoy the conversations with all my fellow hunters. We are a Brotherhood and need to stick together despite our own views. I like to still hunt on vast state land but will never put anyone down who hunts from a tree stand on 10 acres. We have heated topics but that is because we are so passionate about what we do... That fact causes us to get out of control sometimes. We are a diverse group of hunters who love of the outdoors and have a passion for it and that should unite us, but because we are sooo passionate about what we do, we sometimes have heated discussions. That should not stop us from being brothers!!!

To all my fellow hunters may your freezer be as full as your heart, may your sights be full of deer and may you shoot true as your ethics allow. Your Brother in Arms.

NFA GETSOME

• Like 2

We are a diverse group of hunters who love of the outdoors and have a passion for it and that should unite us, but because we are sooo passionate about what we do, we sometimes have heated discussions. That should not stop us from being brothers!!!

And, I don't think that it does. Sure enough there are some subjects that I will never agree with some on. But you know what ...... I do get over it and move on, never afraid to re-engage in the discussion whenever it comes up again, but I think we all understand the difference between disagreements and vendettas. At least I hope so ..... lol. If you ever want to test that out, just let some animal rights wacko come on here spewing their garbage and see what happens.

And, I don't think that it does. Sure enough there are some subjects that I will never agree with some on. But you know what ...... I do get over it and move on, never afraid to re-engage in the discussion whenever it comes up again, but I think we all understand the difference between disagreements and vendettas. At least I hope so ..... lol. If you ever want to test that out, just let some animal rights wacko come on here spewing their garbage and see what happens.

Exctly, Doc. How many of us have actual brothers or sisters...or for that fact parents or kids. There can be knock down drag outs and all kinds of altercations but let anyone form the outside threaten one of mine and then the fun begins. I am betting most if not all of us are like that. we can disagree and get heated amongst ourselves but I bet if threatened they would be surprised how united the front would be.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2