camo choices

bubba

ok here goes.  What camo patterns do you wear? How effective do you find it to be?  I personally wear a johnson green and black plaid jacket and green wool pants.  I see more deer in that then I have ever seen in camo. I put my stands in a hemlock or cedar tree either in them or ground blinds in the base of them. For turkey season I wear mossy oak  break up head to toe to include a full face mask.  It seems to work well for me.  Sall game mostly upland birds, I wear jeans ad my orange upland game vest. 

You know I can't really say what the name of my cold weather camo pattern is. I know it is a suit with the Remington name on it, but I don't know what camo they used.

And then, I have a ghillie suit. Now that's some serious camo. I can be nearly invisible practically in front of you. The only problem is that I really can't shoot the bow while wearing that thing. It's great for predator hunting and turkey hunting.

Doc

I have used Realtree Hardwoods in the past, but have noticed after seeing trailcam photos of myself walking by that the patterns are way too dark for the most part, and the deer dont see the detail in the pattern, so I am switching over to Predator Fall Grey as I replace my stuff. Lots of light area and contrasting in it.

All my jackets, pants and coveralls for warm & cold weather are Realtree AP, except my blaze camo outfit. Seems to work well. Try to match my scheme for jackets and pants. I tend to break-up my treestand outline with netting or branches (fake or real). My opinion is that if you are 15' (min.) up in a tree your choice of camo is kinda of a mute point, as long as your face is covered/painted, scent-free and movements are limited. Personally, I think a deer sees the outline of a treestand 1st and then after focusing on that, sees the object in it (you).

Who knows what they see?

Years ago I wore brown Carharts, an obscure military green camo, no gloves or face mask, NOT scent/UV free and any old ball cap. Used to smoke and pee while in the stand. Had many deer walk within 10 yards and didn't appear to notice me and weren't alarmed. Who's to know!?!

Years ago I wore brown Carharts, an obscure military green camo, no gloves or face mask, NOT scent/UV free and any old ball cap. Used to smoke and pee while in the stand. Had many deer walk within 10 yards and didn't appear to notice me and weren't alarmed. Who's to know!?!

They probably thought you were one of the farm hands and the deer don't seem to be skittish when the farmer's are out working . alt=my sidehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/2cents.gif[/img]

Quite frankly I'm not really sure what the big deal is with Realtree this and Mossy Oak that.  Everyone tramples each other for the latest and best, the most "realistic" camo pattern. 

My grandfather used to go out into the woods in Dickie's work pants and a plaid flannel shirt and he always got his deer. 

I'm not saying that camo isn't effective.  I'm not sure anyone can make an argument for that but is it really as important as we all make it out to be? 

I personally don't think the pattern matters as much. I have have four different patterns and I've killed deer via bowhunting/rifle with no issues. However, I did just receive my new camo outfit last week since my older suits no longer fit after losing 70lbs. The pattern does not overwhelmingly impress me as much as the functionality of the suit itself. Its the new Scentblocker Dream Season Silent Shell with the new Mossy Oak Infinity pattern. The suit in my opinion is well made, plenty of features that I deem suited to my needs/wants. Anyway, thats my take on the newest, bested camo pattern being marketed this year....lol

I think just about any camo sold today will suffice. It is more about movement when it comes to catching a deer's attention. When you are drawing that bow, swatting that mosquito, or just fidgeting around, you are at a high risk of being detected whether you have Realtree or Mossy Oak, or just blue-jeans and checkered flannel. I don't count on camo patterns to cover up sloppy stand techniques. Deer really aren't that sharp at picking images out of the backgrouns and analysing what they are unless it moves.

I look back and my first camo was leftover from the Vet Nam war. Then the next was a set of tan coverall that I tie dyed. Now with all the different fall leaves and trees etc. I do not worry about a brand and just look for the best buy on what I need in the way of a shirt,pant or coveralls.

I look back and my first camo was leftover from the Vet Nam war.

I agree, brands such as Mossy Oak or Realtree etc. are not necessarily the best camo patterns. I actually like ASAT pattern, just didn't find their suits meet my needs. Also, as a side note to military camo, I also picked up a set of military BDU's (pant, shirt, hat, gloves etc.) in Multicam pattern. Sweet pattern that I think will do well in the early season here on LI, but again, as long as you don't move does it really matter....lol