coyote rifle

Damn hard to beat the .223...

There are other chamberings that might work as well, but few that work better, as WNY says, the ammo issue favors the .223..

A friend of mine from Ontario uses a 22-250 in Browning BLR and has killed a bunch of coyotes with it, but that ain't to say he would not as killed just as many with a .223..

I'm a big fan of the .223, probably because I just bought one a year ago ..... lol. It's a nice flat shooting caliber which is cheap to load, and has plenty of energy to do the job without ruining pelts. It's also a good economical caliber for summertime practice.

Thanks guys but do any of you have experience using a 30-06 for coyotes or is it to big of a calliber

Depends... Are you going to skin them? If so, dont use a 30-06, it will ruin the pelts.

If you just want them off your property or something, use a .50 BMG if you want :)

The 30-06 will really reach out and touch them with the proper load and grain. Not that the 223 wont but I think the 06 will hit them much harder at longer distances if that is what you are looking for. I like the 165 grain for big game. I would prefer the 223 if I was hunting yotes, but if you don't care about the pelt any round will work. 223 is much less expensive to shoot.

The beauty about the 30-06 round is that it is so versitile. Having so many grains availible from 55 grain w/pusher to 220 grain gives nice options if you reload or want to use one gun for multiple aplications... I would think it would be a little too heavy for small game though, yotes no prob again if you dont care about the pelts...

Thanks guys but do any of you have experience using a 30-06 for coyotes or is it to big of a calliber

I once shot a yote with my 300 Win Mag and pelt damage was minimal, zipped right through him. Yet I think the 30-06 or 300 is overkill for fox and yote, I like to shoot them with my 22 hornet. I have shot the 22-250 and that is an excellent round for all types of predator hunting.

Im a 223 fan because its cheap enought to hunt everything...crows to coyotes.My friend has a 22-250 and its nice. Shoots flat with minimal recoil, buts its a single shot and im not really into a single shot when hunting varmints. The 204 is also starting to gain popularity but I have never personally shot one.

Thoughts on the .30-06 (or other deer calibre): You know, there are those who suggest that the best approach to hunting varmints is to use your deer rifle...using the same loads you use for deer. This makes a lot of sense: Why not use the varmint season to make myself a better deer killer??

To do this...do not scale down on bullet size...use the same bullet you use for deer. This means no adjustment of scope...nothing...just line 'em up and shoot! Of course this may not work for those wishing to save/sell coyote pelts.

In short, use your varmint hunting to improve your deer hunting success.

Good Luck,

Early

using 30/06 your way out of line these animals dont need that much power to put them down the other want 204 an 17 rem an after evrey 10 shots there cleaning them . i have a ruger mark 77 22/250 that ive owned an use all winter long for last 15 years an never cleaned an shot more coyotes that most people ever seen an never has been cleaned will shoot factory ammo like u never have seen. ive had all calibers for last 20 years runnen coyotes an the 250 never let me down. my own opinion

Good gravy, 15 years and not cleaning your gun? Must look like the rusty wheels I put my snow tires on lol.

Doesnt matter what caliber you shoot, you should take care of your equipment.

I can put 40 or 50 rounds through my 223 at the range and it still drives tacks at 200 yards. While the 22-250is a great round, you still cant beat the 223 on ammo availability, variety and price. Both rounds are just as effective at the same ranges, its all personal choice.

• Like 1