Steak - Beef

phade

we have come to enjoy a good cast iron seared steak as much or more than a grilled steak. Simple, quick. Luckily the wife and I like our steak the same ...rare. Venison is thus cooked the same. Hot seasoned salted butter,, black pepper and a shake of coarse salt on the steaks, and drop them on. One flip. 

Phade, I have to ask...how do you like your steaks cooked? If medium to well...and I am thinking that...venison is rendered inedible. It must me rare...rare/medium. Near zero fat content so it is dried out quickly, same as bison/ elk, moose, etc.

Man I am so not picky when it comes to steak. As long as it's somewhere near medium, there haven't been many steaks that I haven't liked. If it's still mooing, or if it's turned into shoe leather, that's no good. I've eaten at reputable steak houses, as well as lower end places like Outback. I've cooked in cast iron, spooning the butter, and I've grilled plenty. I've also thrown on a spit and slow cooked over coals. 

2 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Man I am so not picky when it comes to steak. As long as it's somewhere near medium, there haven't been many steaks that I haven't liked. If it's still mooing, or if it's turned into shoe leather, that's no good. I've eaten at reputable steak houses, as well as lower end places like Outback. I've cooked in cast iron, spooning the butter, and I've grilled plenty. I've also thrown on a spit and slow cooked over coals. 

Sometimes it is the where that makes it!! A steak cooked over a fire in the frickin boons eaten with a hunting knife and your fingers.........

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

we have come to enjoy a good cast iron seared steak as much or more than a grilled steak. Simple, quick. Luckily the wife and I like our steak the same ...rare. Venison is thus cooked the same. Hot seasoned salted butter,, black pepper and a shake of coarse salt on the steaks, and drop them on. One flip. 

Phade, I have to ask...how do you like your steaks cooked? If medium to well...and I am thinking that...venison is rendered inedible. It must me rare...rare/medium. Near zero fat content so it is dried out quickly, same as bison/ elk, moose, etc.

I'm up to and including medium rare. Anything over that and I'm out. I've had a few blue steaks before and occasionally rare, but medium rare is often the choice when in company of work or my wife, lol. But, never, ever, over that. 

For venison, I don't mind backstraps, they're usually butterflied and the typical methods people mention here, but it's not a favorite. I'll eat the heck out of venison chili, italian sausage, hot dogs, etc. One set of backstraps will last me a full year in terms of steak cuts.

53 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sometimes it is the where that makes it!! A steak cooked over a fire in the frickin boons eaten with a hunting knife and your fingers.........

Definitely. Maybe the best meal I've ever had was a bowl of venison stew my dad made over a wood stove with wild mushrooms he picked in it.  He couldn't get out and hunt anymore so stayed at the camp and cooked etc.   Also made biscuits on that same stove. ( we had a gas stove there but he wanted to make it old school). My brother and I walked for miles hunting all day and came back to that and a cold bud longneck. It was 30 years ago and I still remember it. 

• Like 1

Not if you leave it in the oven until desired temperature.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You left that part out lol

I got relatives I try not to cut up deer with as they will eat a couple pounds raw lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk