Steak - Beef

phade

I'm not a huge fan of venison steaks or roasts even - but do enjoy it alot in things like chili, sausage, hotdogs, etc. I'll do straps/loins on the grill but that's about it steak wise.

I am however a huge fan of beef steak. As my career progressed and traveled alot, I was fortunate enough to spend $$$ on steaks (alot of time at company expense thankfully); eating at some of the premier steakhouses in major US cities. It kind of dampened the basic grocery store steak on the grill Friday nights. Fast forward to now, and I have pair of old high school friends (who got married) and raise American Wagyu and Fullblood Wagyu. With the pandemic, I haven't been traveling for work as much and as a result have been spending more time eating these Wagyu steaks and home-cooking them. I've been moving away from the grill and instead pan-searing with finishing in the oven. I'm much more consistent on the grill and get real nervous when tinkering with the sear/oven method. But, when I nail the sear/oven method, it's 10x better than on a grill. I'm just not consistent enough yet.

Anyone have a good sear/oven method/recipe? Specifically, anyone have good options for lower end cuts, like hanger/sirloins/eye of round, etc.? I've stuck with the strips/ribeye/T-bone/Porterhouse Wagyus, but intrigued at trying some of the "lesser" cuts.

I agree nothing compares to a great steakhouse, but it's the ambiance that helps as well. I still love my grilled steaks at home though. I let them sit at room temp for 30-40min in salt and pepper and then i grill them hot 3-4 min per side for medium rare using the thumb test. They seem to come out awesome every time. I've never tried the oven method since grilling is so easy/good, but I bet those Wagyu's will be amazing! Good Luck

• Like 1

Sous vide at 129 for 2 hours season aggressively with salt. Finish in a extremely hot cast iron for a minute on each side. I have zero interest in grilling a good cut of steak anymore. I use your method if I'm in a rush but nothing compares to using a sous vide for steak. 

Steaks from chain grocery stores suck. My choice cut is hanger steak but it's hard to find.http://desantismeatmarket.com/ this place is 20 minutes from my cabin and has amazing steaks.

My brother, dad, mom and employees all got sous vide from Santa this year.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I agree nothing compares to a great steakhouse, but it's the ambiance that helps as well. I still love my grilled steaks at home though. I let them sit at room temp for 30-40min in salt and pepper and then i grill them hot 3-4 min per side for medium rare using the thumb test. They seem to come out awesome every time. I've never tried the oven method since grilling is so easy/good, but I bet those Wagyu's will be amazing! Good Luck

I notice you dont rest them, so you feel thats unnecessary?

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

1 hour for  1" to 1-1/2" steak.  and an hour per inch of thickness.  Nice thing is it can stay in the water bath for 4 hours and NEVER over cook. 

6# Christmas boneless prime rib will be sous vide  this year

Ive seen where people do it in a yeti cooler. Get the water the right temp or a little above and pour it in with the steaks and seal it

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I notice you dont rest them, so you feel thats unnecessary?

nice try! i always rest them. I don't stare at them, but when a steak comes off the grill, it gets put on a plate and brought inside. Then i clean the grill, pour a drink, and cut in around the 8-10min. mark. which allows all the juices to stay in

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Cast iron pan heated up with salted real butter and a little crushed garlic.  Once pan is hot but not burning butter, sear on each side for a couple minutes while spooning butter and garlic over it, leave it fairly rare and enjoy. 

This is close to what I've been doing inside, except I finish in the oven with pan included, and some seasonings. I also let it get to room temp for 30 minutes pre-cooking.

I just find it real hard to hit it "just right" and that is nerve wracking lol. But when done right so far, it's been great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Report your findings. I have never been able to replicate a great steakhouse steak at home but am definitely not using the same cuts! And I miss travel, I haven't had a great steak in 2020

It does stink not being able to access good steakhouses but if anything it's forced me to be a better cook, lol. If you search locally you might surprise yourself finding some quality steaks at local producers at good prices. I'm fortunate to get these steaks pretty cheap - the picture posted above ran me $35ish I think which is cheaper than what I'd pay for a basic angus steak at a barely above chain-level steakhouse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phade said:

This is close to what I've been doing inside, except I finish in the oven with pan included, and some seasonings. I also let it get to room temp for 30 minutes pre-cooking.

I just find it real hard to hit it "just right" and that is nerve wracking lol. But when done right so far, it's been great.

ive gotten away from grilling quite a bit.  Esp with Venison, it just seems to dry it out too much.  Grilling is close to the equivalent of air frying - come at me!  lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

ive gotten away from grilling quite a bit.  Esp with Venison, it just seems to dry it out too much.  Grilling is close to the equivalent of air frying - come at me!  lol 

Need to learn to grill better is all, control the heat..  sear it and move to side to finish cooking , sittin on an open flame is not your friend when cooking venison.

• Like 1

I cook beef steaks on the grill as well as a cast iron pan.98% of the time it is NY Strips as they are my favorite. I take out of fridge and put on counter for an hour with salt and pepper. A few minutes on each side on the grill get good color then I put off indirect for a few minutes. Pull let rest for 5-10 minutes. In a pan I tend to use butter and some fresh herbs and spoon over outa the bottom of pan as cooking. Pull pan after a few minutes on each side and the I let finish in pan off burner for a few minutes. I've eaten in steakhouses all over while traveling as well in steakhouses I wouldn't pay for on my own dime lol. Most of them are no batter. A rare few. You need to start with a quality meat which it looks like you are. I always hate when you order a $50 plus dollar steak and they want to put a sauce on it!! Might as well put A1 on it lol.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Need to learn to grill better is all, control the heat..  sear it and move to side to finish cooking , sittin on an open flame is not your friend when cooking venison.

Wings are also good in an air fryer but if you deep fry them they are better.  Steaks are good on the grill but give me a hot cast iron and i will make a better one.  When steaks come out at of a prime steakhouse they never saw a grill. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wings are also good in an air fryer but if you deep fry them they are better.  Steaks are good on the grill but give me a hot cast iron and i will make a better one.  When steaks come out at of a prime steakhouse they never saw a grill. 

If you use your grill to sear then as oven you accomplish the same. 

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If you use your grill to sear then as oven you accomplish the same. 

gonna have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.  If my Dad were still around he would be over to your house with steaks and beers in hand.  lol.  He was a chef (i am certainly not).  He used to get asked to come into kitchens all the time when we would be out to eat to show them how to prepare something- it was pretty cool and he loved it.   But never touch his cast irons!  Steaks are good that way on the grill but cant crust them as well as a nice pan sear. IMHO 

I'm not a huge fan of venison steaks or roasts even - but do enjoy it alot in things like chili, sausage, hotdogs, etc. I'll do straps/loins on the grill but that's about it steak wise.

I am however a huge fan of beef steak. As my career progressed and traveled alot, I was fortunate enough to spend $$$ on steaks (alot of time at company expense thankfully); eating at some of the premier steakhouses in major US cities. It kind of dampened the basic grocery store steak on the grill Friday nights. Fast forward to now, and I have pair of old high school friends (who got married) and raise American Wagyu and Fullblood Wagyu. With the pandemic, I haven't been traveling for work as much and as a result have been spending more time eating these Wagyu steaks and home-cooking them. I've been moving away from the grill and instead pan-searing with finishing in the oven. I'm much more consistent on the grill and get real nervous when tinkering with the sear/oven method. But, when I nail the sear/oven method, it's 10x better than on a grill. I'm just not consistent enough yet.

Anyone have a good sear/oven method/recipe? Specifically, anyone have good options for lower end cuts, like hanger/sirloins/eye of round, etc.? I've stuck with the strips/ribeye/T-bone/Porterhouse Wagyus, but intrigued at trying some of the "lesser" cuts.

Ive tried everything except sous vide and the best for me is reverse searing. I season the steak, put it in the oven on 275 until internal temperature is around 125 (if you like medium rare).

Take it out and let it rest for 10 mins. While its resting i put my cast iron pan on the stove to get as hot as possible. When the steak is done resting, I put it in for 1 minute on each side. When I flip I put in 2 garlic cloves and some butter.

The last part you can leave out if you want but the steak will melt in your mouth, especially the high end steaks you're cooking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think it is easier to cook a steak to perfection in cast iron. It is easier to control. A grill has more variables just due to weather, wind, source of heat, lighting(cooking in the dark is hard lol)...It takes me some time to figure out, work in a new grill to know my exact procedure. 

Edited by Fletch

30 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Ive tried everything except sous vide and the best for me is reverse searing. I season the steak, put it in the oven on 275 until internal temperature is around 125 (if you like medium rare).

Take it out and let it rest for 10 mins. While its resting i put my cast iron pan on the stove to get as hot as possible. When the steak is done resting, I put it in for 1 minute on each side. When I flip I put in 2 garlic cloves and some butter.

The last part you can leave out if you want but the steak will melt in your mouth, especially the high end steaks you're cooking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I tend to do NY Strips 1.5 inches thick. I am a big fan of rare but 1 minute each side it would be mostly raw.