So loading ?

luberhill

Drop in 2 777 pellets - insert sabot - use ball starter to push down a few inches - then use ram rod to push down until touching pellets - mark ramrod with a Sharpie or score with a knife so you know future loading it’s seeded well and not double stuffed. Do not crush pellets . To unload you can pull breech plug and ram rod out sabot and pellets.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Drop in 2 777 pellets - insert sabot - use ball starter to push down a few inches - then use ram rod to push down until touching pellets - mark ramrod with a Sharpie or score with a knife so you know future loading it’s seeded well and not double stuffed. Do not crush pellets . To unload you can pull breech plug and ram rod out sabot and pellets.   

Wont the pellets drop out the back or am I pushing pellets and sabot out the back ( breech) 

or let the pellets drop out then push the sabot from breech to muzzle ?

and can I reuse both ?

thx

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Wont the pellets drop out the back or am I pushing pellets and sabot out the back ( breech) 

or let the pellets drop out then push the sabot from breech to muzzle ?

and can I reuse both ?

thx

If you pull the breech plug, sometimes one or both pellets can slide right out, sometimes they don’t.  Use the jag extension for the ramrod to push from the muzzle to press the sabot out, it will slide the pellets out, catch them and then pop the sabot out last.  I have reused these loads at the range with 95% success over the years.  I always use a fresh load for hunting.  The barrel usually needs a quick cleaning at this point, I usually pop a primer off before loading it, so it needs a quick wipe out.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

to add to what loworange88 said. avoid touching the pellets with your hands (also should be the same when loading or putting into speed loaders). The oils/moisture on your hands can effect their burn or ignition.  

Do the speed loaders accept sabots or only bare bullet or power band ?

28 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Great , which speed loaders are best ? And best place to purchase ?

thx

I use these. I have tried others but prefer these. The bullet loads tip into the chamber, 3 50 grain 777 pellets in it for my load and the primer goes in the little half moon shaped cup on the cover. Picture this. I'm right handed so these stay in my right pocket. to load the butt is on my foot and left hand holding the muzzle. reach into my right pocket with my right hand and take this out. pop the top with a flip of my thumb nail and dump the pellets down the barrel. flip the speed loader over and place it over the muzzle with the base of the bullet headed into the barrel and hold it there while grasping the muzzle now with my right hand.  I remove the ram rod with my left hand and ram right through the speed loader (my encore has a bullet seating pocket so the bullet goes in it depth with almost no pressure. My Traditions has the same set up). once the tip of the ram rod is even with the top of the speed loader I pull the speed loader off, finish seating the bullet to my index line like Turkeyfeathers mentioned and  pick up the gun. remove the old primer and flick the new primer into the pocket without removing it from the cover first.  It sounds complicated but it is unbelievably fast. 

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/thompson-center-magnum-quick-shot-loaders.html

Just push the bullet down firm against the pellets. Do not crush. A smooth consistent ram rod stroke/ seating pressure is part of a consistetn loading routine which translates to accuracy. Most traditional  ML are not designed to remove the breechplug...most inlines though are, and you can certainly pull the plug to remove the load.It is routinely removed to clean the breech, but to be honest how I clean mine I do not remove the breech plug each time. Usually in seating or removing the load from an inline, the pellets are damaged enough that I wouldnt use them again, the projectile probably depends on its condition. 

Remember that with a ML it is considered unloaded for law enforcement purposes as long as it does not have a cap in/on it (for transportation, etc). No need to pull the load each day when done hunting as long as you arent worried about moisture/snow, rain etc. harming the load.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I use these. I have tried others but prefer these. The bullet loads tip into the chamber, 3 50 grain 777 pellets in it for my load and the primer goes in the little half moon shaped cup on the cover. Picture this. I'm right handed so these stay in my right pocket. to load the butt is on my foot and left hand holding the muzzle. reach into my right pocket with my right hand and take this out. pop the top with a flip of my thumb nail and dump the pellets down the barrel. flip the speed loader over and place it over the muzzle with the base of the bullet headed into the barrel and hold it there while grasping the muzzle now with my right hand.  I remove the ram rod with my left hand and ram right through the speed loader (my encore has a bullet seating pocket so the bullet goes in it depth with almost no pressure. My Traditions has the same set up). once the tip of the ram rod is even with the top of the speed loader I pull the speed loader off, finish seating the bullet to my index line like Turkeyfeathers mentioned and  pick up the gun. remove the old primer and flick the new primer into the pocket without removing it from the cover first.  It sounds complicated but it is unbelievably fast. 

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/thompson-center-magnum-quick-shot-loaders.html

i fumble in my pocket, then drop it in the snow, get another, load the pellets, drop the sabot in the snow, wipe it off, push it down with the rod, fumble for the primer cause my hands are frozen and its small and i cant hold it, drop that, get another, $%@%# glasses are fogged, close the gun, realize i lost sight of the deer and go back and get my gloves on the ground later. Its a system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I skipped using the starter the last couple years and go straight to ram rod . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

So are u using these with 50 cal sabots ?

• Like 1