Update on fatal shooting Of Sheridan NY Fire Chief

Deerthug

No, it's not "funny". It has no relevance to my comment or anything to do with my comments on blaze orange.

The DA is a dork and obviously knows nothing of the law he is supposed to prosecute. Again, that has nothing to do with my reply.

And as far as the mentality if blaze orange is made mandatory, you are simply guessing on that point and have nothing credible to base that claim on. Certainly this incident doesn't make anyone arrive at that conclusion.

The theory that hunters will shoot at anything without blaze orange on, if mandatory, is so flawed. Doc's right its a guess.

The theory that hunters will shoot at anything without blaze orange on, if mandatory, is so flawed. Doc's right its a guess.

And how many of us take off our Blaze Orange Jacket when field dressing a deer !

Blaze Orange shouldn't be mandatory . Knowing what you are shooting st should be mandatory !

And how many of us take off our Blaze Orange Jacket when field dressing a deer !

Blaze Orange shouldn't be mandatory . Knowing what you are shooting st should be mandatory !

I feel it should be mandatory but like you say Ed know what your shooting at is the number 1 way to stop the accidents.

You could always take the BO coat and hang it on something where you are field dressing the deer.JMHO

No, it's not "funny". It has no relevance to my comment or anything to do with my comments on blaze orange.

The DA is a dork and obviously knows nothing of the law he is supposed to prosecute. Again, that has nothing to do with my reply.

And as far as the mentality if blaze orange is made mandatory, you are simply guessing on that point and have nothing credible to base that claim on. Certainly this incident doesn't make anyone arrive at that conclusion.

No it seems by the posts you did not come to this conclusion and a few others have. I believe what I said was when it does happen the blame will go to the person not wearing orange instead of the idiot who pulled the trigger as it did in this case by the DA even when orange is not mandatory.

A couple BO points......

1) I wear a BO vest when gun hunting, when I kill a deer, I take my heavy clothes off but put my BO vest back ON.

2) A couple times this year i used the LONG cuff gutting gloves and, when wearing them, you DON'T have to take any clothes off, like: your BO coat. Leave it on to do the deed.....

3) If I'm not in a field, but in the woods, I hang my vest in a tree, in plain sight, when swapping garments.

4) Crap, I forgot what else I had to say.............................

Edited by Lawdwaz

My post above is only some points in regard to BO and gutting.

The father screwed up, big time. He shouldn't have been hunting, that seems obvious NOW. What did the family know? Should they have taken his gun away? Kind of like taking the keys from elderly folks that shouldn't be driving, no?

Appears to me that the son bears no fault in the matter, only a lack of judgement and a poor choice. He broke no laws.

Another horrible mistake, unfortunately.

(Boy do I miss my spell check)

Edited by Lawdwaz

No it seems by the posts you did not come to this conclusion and a few others have. I believe what I said was when it does happen the blame will go to the person not wearing orange instead of the idiot who pulled the trigger as it did in this case by the DA even when orange is not mandatory.

I already agreed that the DA is a dork. As far as jumping to conclusions, I will leave that to others.

as long as it takes. then your next response is to blame others again. I know you know the forest is there, but the damn trees keep getting in your way. I understand

As usual your reply makes absolutely no sense, but I know it is important to you to have the last word, so have at it ....lol.

a hahaha get original once in awhile. My point is simple but I guess I should have simplified it more for some. It is actually obvious to most that this is the way it will be if BO is mandatory. You refuse to see it because you refuse to see anything outside your realm of reality. I personally do not care if you wear orange long johns. That is your choice. But it is not your choice to tell me I have to. Take the blinders off and see the whole forest not just the few trees you hide behind. I hope this simplified it enough for you. The truth is logic seems to evade your responses.

Or ....... you could just know what you are shooting at !

That's the one kind of hunting accident that I have never been able to understand, but yet one of the most common. What is it about a human that could possibly look like a deer? It is hard to imagine how someone gutting a deer out (or any other kind of activity) could look like a deer. But yet every year it happens. If you are trying to "place" your shot and avoid wounding, how do you look at a human, mistake them for a deer and place a round in the kill zone? Obviously there is still the old "spray and pray" style of shooting going on out there.

One thing we all have to realize is that not everyone out there is as careful as we are. In fact some are just plain reckless and irresponsible. So it's always a good idea to hunt defensively. Fortunately, most of us do.

I'll tell you what works for me. If for some reason I take off my outer BO jacket or whatever, it immediately gets hung on a limb right next to where I am working. That is true whether I still have some blaze orange on or not. No need to bring anything extra along. Simply don't throw all your blaze orange on the ground. It doesn't do much good there. Hang it up. Also, what ever shirts I have on underneath are always a pretty bright color as well. I don't leave myself unprotected for even a second. Spending all your deerhunting life on fairly high pressured state land tends to make you always super safety conscious. Of course, it all depends on how much of a gambler you are. For me when the stakes are my life or perhaps an arm or leg or two, I don't tend to gamble hardly at all.....lol.

and you said I could have the last word. But I knew better. I have a better idea. Positively know what you are shooting at. This guy was not hiding in a tree in camo like you think we all do. He was in the open 100 yards away and got shot by another person who had no clue what he was shooting at. And to blame the fact he took off an orange coat is at the least preposterous. And to justify it in that way is just an excuse to push a personal agenda.

I don't think that I'm reading the same article as some of you guys regarding the father. I clicked on the link and nowhere did I see that he was hunting with diminished mental capacity. They said that he seemed to be suffering from a PTSD type problem which was causing him to block out the details of the incident, not that he was too senile to be hunting safely.

And while I don't belive in mandatory Blaze orange laws (even though I use it myself) just like I don't believe in helmet laws or seatbelt laws (use them too) some of you are getting a bit ridiculous with your claims that it will increase accidents. It's like saying that when NY made car insurance mandatory it caused a huge spike in car accidents. I mean why not, if your insured anyway you might as well just ram into anything you feel like.

Anyone know how many people have been shot and or killed wearing atleast a blaze orange vest in the last ten yrs? Just wondering. I personally wont go in the woods without it, just like I wont drive a car without a seat belt. Its only common sense, Im not to worried about myself shooting someone else not wearing blaze orange. But I sure dont trust anyone else not to shoot me if im not wearing it. Whenever I take my jacket off to clean a deer out I always hang it on an overhanging branch next to me and then put it back on to clean out the deer. Stiil it gives me the willies sometimes and I look around alot to make sure no one is drawing down on me.

• Like 1

and you said I could have the last word. But I knew better. I have a better idea. Positively know what you are shooting at. This guy was not hiding in a tree in camo like you think we all do. He was in the open 100 yards away and got shot by another person who had no clue what he was shooting at. And to blame the fact he took off an orange coat is at the least preposterous. And to justify it in that way is just an excuse to push a personal agenda.

My reply was not related to your BS so relax.