shoot or do not shoot

sweet old bill

Had a young basket racked 7 point chase a doe right under my stand a few yrs back. He had potential to be a nice one the next yr so I shot the doe and he ran off. I like to think this buck was the same deer at 3.5 yrs old. I shot him 100 yrds from where I passed the 7 point up the yr before. There racks were very similar this one is just a lot bigger. Might not be the same deer but it could be. So unless they have a nice rack I will let them pass and fill out my doe tags during gun and muzzleloader for meat.

post-358-131455321737_thumb.jpg

I never shoot anything smaller than 5 pointers. At that he must be a larger 5. I have been practicing this for about 6 years now. On my trail cams this year the smallest deer I have seen is a big 6. The bigger the bones, the more meat you will have in the freezer.

Good luck to all this season.

Fist day no way. Last day and i don't have any other tags filled (DMPs / DMAPs) it would be hard not to. If only one other tag is filled it still might happen, two tags filled it would be tempting but probably wouldn't happen, three or four tags filled and it wont happen.

But then again it didn't happen that way last season. Probably because i saw a lot of really nice deer. Had a beautiful 8 at about 20 yards while i was setting up a tree and the bow was on the ground. Probably would have come close to P & Y.

First part of bow no way and most likely not at all take him in bow unless I had exactly no venison and I was hunting one or two places I have that there is no way to run any kind of management. I probably would not take him during any season if I had some meat in the freezer. Unless he is a mature 4 year old say 240 on the hoof!!

I let numerous small bucks pass during the season. I think last bow I passed on at least a dozen or so before I took a nice 9 point. A couple days later out bow hunting the same spot for a doe I had a true P&Y walk by me at 20 yards. Ug I hope to see him this year!