Turkey hunting with 20 ?

luberhill

A 20GA is just fine for turkeys. I like #4 or #5 shot if using a 3" magnum shells, #4 if using basic 2 3/4" shells.

To roost birds I prefer a locator call, either a crow call or an owl hooter. I usually just try and locate the birds with either of those and then listen while scouting early in the morning. Over all roosting doesn't do me much good, on public land you can locate the roost the night before, get there the next morning only to find someone else is in that area.

Edited by DirtTime

23 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

A 20GA is just fine for turkeys. I like #4 or #5 shot if using a 3" magnum shells, #4 if using basic 2 3/4" shells.

To roost birds I prefer a locator call, either a crow call or an owl hooter. I usually just try and locate the birds with either of those and then listen while scouting early in the morning. Over all roosting doesn't do me much good, on public land you can locate the roost the night before, get there the next morning only to find someone else is in that area.

I’d be on private land 

7 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Both will work fine. Take them both out and see what patterns better.....

The 870 is a youth model synthetic stock..

Its a short vent rib model 

probably use the full choke ?

the 1187 is wood stock... safe queen , in only use it shooting clays 

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

The 870 is a youth model synthetic stock..

Its a short vent rib model 

probably use the full choke ?

the 1187 is wood stock... safe queen , in only use it shooting clays 

I would guess the full. You won't know until you get out and shoot......Look at upstate Rednecks thread with all the patterning he has done....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luberhill said:

What type of yardage ?

That's why you need to shoot and pattern. To find the yardage you and your weapon are comfortable at. Shoot at 20 yds, check the pattern. You don't want any large gaps. Shoot at 30 yds, 40 yds etc. I believe the rule of thumb is 100 pellets in a 10" circle. When you are no longer getting 100 pellets in a 10" circle you are at your maximum range. What that range is will depend on you, your shotgun, your choke and your shells..... 

I am sure some more knowledgeable people can chime in than me. But that is what i would do.......

• Like 1

Don't rule out size 6 shot in a 20 Gauge. You will get more pellets on target and a tighter pattern. When my son was old enough to hunt his first gun was a Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge and he smoked his first gobbler with it using Remington size 6 shot at a distance of 25 yards.         valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 2

You’ve gotten good advice so far.

I’ve given up on killing turkeys with everything but a 20ga. Don’t get too wrapped up in patterns, if you can find shells buy a couple boxes and shoot your full choke starting at 20yds going out until you don’t have enough shot in the pattern to kill a turkey.

It will most likely be between 30-40yds. If you’re going to get really serious about it my favorite turkey load ever is the heavy weight 7’s. Only people I’ve found that make them are here https://bossshotshells.com/products/20-ga-3-tom-15-1-1-2-oz-7/ they’re expensive but if you’ve been looking for 20ga turkey ammo you’re probably pretty frustrated and these are in stock and they’ll ship them to your door step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 4/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, luberhill said:

I can’t imagine killing one any further than 30 yards

I've shot turkeys in field at 65 a d my fall bird was over 50 this year. All.depends how gun patterns with shell and obstructions. 

Best bet is to go out several evening before and at a distance listen for gobbles, and again in am

.  Trout fishing is good excuse to listen for birds near water.  

I use a locator call sparingly when scouting as if birds hear same call they become accustomed to. It and wont shock gobble to it anymore, takes good ears to hear a bird in the middle of using an owl hooter. 

Try several different locators .  In am when hunting If you didnt locate one night before.  I also runa mopped along ridge and blow horn they answer that well.   2 or 3 gobble snacks you should be able to know where he is within 70 yards but remember in moonlit nights turkeys will tree hop so. A nice gobble in early am.is always definitive

• Like 1