Bore Butter Who uses it?

CNYlungbuster

Hey Guys I just bought a new inline and I was wondering who uses bore butter to season their barrel? How do you like it?  Do you think it makes a difference with or without it?  I go mzling in the Catskills every year and I have buddies that are dead against it and others who wouldn't go without it wondering what some others have to say about the topic? 

Thanks ahead of time for your help

CNY

When I first got into ML's I bought the (then) new TC Black Diamond/starter kit.I did the "seasoning" thing right off.Huge mistake!I would have got tighter groups had I thrown the bullets at the target.I gave the gun a thorough cleaning,ran a patch with Rem oil through and my accuracy improved dramatically.I wouldn't use it in any ML shooting PRB's,conicals or sabots.Accuracy wasn't as bad when I tried it in my Lyman GPR but there are better options.I used what was left on the plug threads on the BD and cap nipple threads on the GPR.For that it was OK but the white Teflon tape is much better here.

Seasoning is nothing but a market ploy.  Yes, you can use that stuff for roundball patch lubricant.  But ill tell you MODERN BARREL STEELS NEED NO SEASONING.  Its a MYTH.

Ive been muzzloading for almost 30 years and know many guys who are custom builders. They wouldnt put that stuff in their barrels. 

Beware of this It can also build up and destroy accuracy.  Its fine for a patch lubricant but dont trust it for a rust preservative. There are lot better things out there for that to protect your investment.  Clean any gun that doesent use a smokeless powder or Black horn 209 with a water based cleaner. ( I use room temp water mixed with nothing)  When its clean make sure you dry it very well and then use a water displacing gun oil in the barrel to make sure all water is gone .  Then oil it with something like Rem oil or Break free.  More muzzleloading barrels are ruined trying to protect them with these seasoning agents.  I found out the hard way.  DONT ASK

A mix of windex or windshield cleaner and alcohol makes a great swap for T7 - especialy if your rifle is prone to a crud ring in front of the breech plug. Simple Green makes a great cleaner as well. I generally only use water when cleaning at the end of the season and that is a boiling water bath followed by alchol and then dry patches until sqeeky clean and completely dry. Apply fav gun oil while still hot and get great coverage.

I have used it with water and by itself on a patch,works great. You can get the cheep knock off window cleaner too ,works the same.I soak my breach plug in it in a Dixie cup to get T7 off,it just disolves and comes clean as can be.Might have to try simple green SteveB....

I like to run a few patches with some good Rem oil or other type of oil then run a few dry ones down it...

ditto on the store brand windex when I am at the range between shots.  When I get home, it is hot water and dawn dish detergent for a thorough cleaning.  Then patces until dry, and g96 in and out.  I went the bore butter route, and I pretty much ruined an encore barrel.  I used remington bore cleaner and got it al scrubbed out.  I threw away all of it I had.  It my older guns I did as kits and blued or browned myself, I did use it when seasoning was needed.  Bottom line after 35 years of muzzleloading shooting black powder 777 pyrodex and amost every other powder there was, STAY AWAY FROM BORE BUTTER AND OTHER PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...