DR walk behind trimmer(or others)

Hey everyone, I'm toying with the idea of buying a DR (or other brand) walk behind trimmer.  I don't hunt a lot of areas with heavy thick brush, but definitely could use some mowing/trimming along edges, paths, etc.  Anyone have experience with one of these types of units?  Looking for a used unit as well.

Thanks.

i looked at them and thought they were still gonna be a lot of bear work mving them around.  Just had an ATV tow behind delivered that is being put together for use as we speak.  

I looked and was able to find a lot of those available used though on Marketplace and seemed like a lot of good reviews on them elsewhere. 

Thanks Rob, I don't have an ATV, or that would the way to go(sucks living in the 'burbs sometimes).  I do have a JD riding mower, but trucking that around would be a job as well. 

I have a bead on a walk behind trimmer on FB marketplace, hopefully I can go check it out this evening.

• Like 1

Walk behind trimmers is for tall grass and weeds ...  think green . I have a dr trimmer works great for weeds and tall grass . Sounds like you should be looking at a brush mower... think   wood / brush . You are looking for lawn mower on steroids.  I can rent a billy goat brush mower for 35 bucks  a day. 

• Like 1

DR does make a Field & Brush mower, as well as the trimmer.  I've had the brush mower for 15 years and it's one of the best piece of equipment I've ever owned.  It a 26" walk-behind brushhog that will mow 6' tall reed canary and 1" hardwood saplings.  It has a locking differential and ATV tires.  It's the cat's azz for mowing trails.  The downside is that they are not cheap.  I saw an older used one on FB for $1400.  If it was closer to me I might go buy it because they aren't making that model any more.  For fields I use a 5' brushhog behind my tractor, but I have taken my DR places I couldn't begin to mow with the tractor.  Good luck whichever direction you chose.  I think that maintaining trails is one of the easiest habitat improvements you can make.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i looked at them and thought they were still gonna be a lot of bear work mving them around.  Just had an ATV tow behind delivered that is being put together for use as we speak.  

I looked and was able to find a lot of those available used though on Marketplace and seemed like a lot of good reviews on them elsewhere. 

They are great but if your pushing thru trails with saplings and briars you have to drive thru it before you chop it. The pull behinds are great for overgrown roadsides when you can offset the implement into the rough and drive on gravel

5 hours ago, loworange88 said:

Thanks Rob, I don't have an ATV, or that would the way to go(sucks living in the 'burbs sometimes).  I do have a JD riding mower, but trucking that around would be a job as well. 

I have a bead on a walk behind trimmer on FB marketplace, hopefully I can go check it out this evening.

I also have a walk behind wheeled weedeater. It's fine for grass but if it gets too high it's a lot of work and broken strings.

I will keep my eyes out for a walk behind.  Guy we hunt on his land is always selling stuff for people. 

We cut all the grass in the area for food plots with the wheeled weedeater and it worked fine but anything too much and it won't go thru.  Grass was prob 8" high. 

IMG_20210731_073644053.jpg.c477f87116ff0c02a9be17575890a94b.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish