First pull of the year

Bolt action

Drove over to switch cam cards this morning. It turned out to be a really interesting morning. I was going to bring my 7 year old, but he yelled at me when I woke him up at 5. 

I saw 22 deer total, mostly doe with fawns and 6 or 7 smaller bucks. I saw one doe with really strange coloring. She had some patches of brown, but also large areas that were golden, similar to a yellow lab.  I also saw what might have been a tornado move through. Wish I had my phone to get a video of it. I looked north at one point and saw a wall of clouds connecting the clouds in the sky to the ground. It wasn't swirling, but it was moving quickly to the east and had deafening thunder.

Anyway, here are some of the pix. Lots of deer, lots of small bucks, one or two decent ones. Might be a doe only year for me.

IMG_20210906_093257301.jpg

IMG_20210906_094206039.jpg

IMG_20210906_093831025.jpg

Screenshot_20210906-090413.png

Screenshot_20210906-090211.png

Edited by Bolt action
Typos
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Waterport. It looked just like one of those monstrous funnel clouds you see on tv, except there was no swirling. It looked to be close at the time, although that's hard to gauge. On the drive back i saw broken limbs  and a few snapped trees.

No kidding? We have property interest there. Hopefully the single wide isn’t tits up…..it was just painted and looking like a million bucks.  (Maybe not that much?!?!)

2E53AA77-8E86-4C3A-9336-499E64BD2C16.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Drove over to switch cam cards this morning. It turned out to be a really interesting morning. I was going to bring my 7 year old, but he yelled at me when I woke him up at 5. 

I saw 22 deer total, mostly doe with fawns and 6 or 7 smaller bucks. I saw one doe with really strange coloring. She had some patches of brown, but also large areas that were golden, similar to a yellow lab.  I also saw what might have been a tornado move through. Wish I had my phone to get a video of it. I looked north at one point and saw a wall of clouds connecting the clouds in the sky to the ground. It wasn't swirling, but it was moving quickly to the east and had deafening thunder.

Anyway, here are some of the pix. Lots of deer, lots of small bucks, one or two decent ones. Might be a doe only year for me.

IMG_20210906_093257301.jpg

IMG_20210906_094206039.jpg

IMG_20210906_093831025.jpg

Screenshot_20210906-090413.png

Screenshot_20210906-090211.png

Nice … how much land do you have ?

I bet some decent buck pics but always at night 

@Lawdwaz I'm willing to bet it's ok. I don't know how powerful or how strong it really was. Based on what I saw, it was a doozy, but I'm no meteorologist. If you're looking to buy out there with the intent to hunt it, poachers/trepassers have been a nuisance. If you're living on the property though, maybe it won't be as much of an issue.

@luberhillthis farm is about 250 acres with about 30ish of that being woods, the rest open fields. The farmer who leases it alternates soy beans and corn every other year. Not my land, but I'm fortunate to know the owners who allow me to stomp around out there. 

@mowin the past few years, the neighbors have shot a bunch of smaller bucks. I'd love to have a year where bucks get a pass to see what they grow into next year. Don't get me wrong, if I get a shot at a slob, I'm gonna send it!

I actually like that weird rack where it looks like a heavy tall 6 point. If I see him, it might be game on. If I shoot a doe early, that'll help me be more selective on shooting or passing on bucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brought my 7yr old with me today to get the cam cards. Put him in his camo and let him carry the binos to get him excited about our scouting trip. I saw more deer today then any other single day i can remember. 81! That was 41 on the property and another 40 while driving. At one point we were walking along the field edge when a young doe nearly walked out of the brush into us. Came within 7 or 8 feet of us! Also saw a bachelor group, and one buck that was by himself that was pretty big. Here's a couple pix from our hike and one from the trail cam.

Screenshot_20210916-201602.png

IMG_20210916_180309126.jpg

Screenshot_20210916-203232.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...