Target Panic

Geno C

I htink a lot of it comes from trying to group your arrows tight. I've stopped shooting for groups instead i shoot multiple targets one arrow each. if its within and 1nch or two of my point of aim im satisfied!

calling for tight groups is prob when i started to develop it...

Geno,

How did you shoot on the 3D. I didnt get a chance to check the scores? If you were right around 200, then that's a good start for your first time @ this 3D range.

205 but i was not comfortable... The feeling i have been having is not a comfortable feeling, plus im a competitive guy so it makes it worse lol i should be shooting way better then that. once this is sorted i am going to do way better next time.

I had Target Panic pretty bad about two years ago. Like someone above mentioned, its like I would hit a wall as I was raising my pin up to the target. At times, my finger would just shoot as I was hitting that wall. As the arrow released, I knew I was aiming low.

The way I fixed it was that I changed my usual routine in that instead of pulling up on a target, I drew above the target and came down on the bullseye. I wasn't super comfortable shooting that way, but it seemed to fix the target panic. Before long I was able to go back to my old preferred way of pulling up on the target with no issues.

just spoke to a buddy of mine that i grew up with who bow hunts and we got the talking and he actually had it when he was shooting competition. He told me he will work with me to get rid of it. that was some mint news :)

I had suffered with it for a couple of years. And yes, it is psychological. And more importantly about confidence and form. As a traditional shooter I practice just at the bale several times week and all I think about is my form. That way, whether it be 3D, Stumping or Hunting the only thing I am thinking about is hitting the spot. And that's it. Archery is 90% Mental if you think you are going to miss than more likely than not you will miss, because you already told yourself you are going too.

There is an excellent book out there that deals with the Psychological and Mental game of Archery called, "Understanding Winning Archery" by (Olympic Coach) Al Henderson. It is a highly recommdeAd book.

i have been pulling the bow back anchoring, holding it and breaking down over the past few days. just trying to get my form and not release an arrow... seems to be working so far, atleast im not thinking of releasing the arrow.

i have been pulling the bow back anchoring, holding it and breaking down over the past few days. just trying to get my form and not release an arrow... seems to be working so far, atleast im not thinking of releasing the arrow.

You know, that sounds like it might work. Let us know if the cure holds over time.

Its all in your head. Shoot no pins into white paper at 10 yds. Focus on using big mucles (back and shoulders). Then put a sot on the page (not a target, like an orange dot) a couple of days later and shoot that spot at 10 yds with no pins. After a while set a 10 yard pin only and work back from there. You might even want to close your eyes while drawing and anchoring. A kisser button came in real handy for this and now I won't shoot without one. It will take a week or so of shooting daily but you will overcome. I had it a while back and that cure worked for me.

cranked the bow down to 65lbs and practicing pulling the bow back and breaking down still. Everything seems more relaxed right now and i cant wait to start firing some arrows again. i did buy some new maximas from a buddy of mine so im dieing to see how they shoot.

Next step is blind bale shooting with my eyes closed. i have noticed with just knowing what ive been doing wrong and cranking the bow down i see i am more relaxed and not telling myself to pull the trigger because i know that im not.

Cranking down the bow weight is another great way to fight target panic. Removing some of that "time limit" pressure of heavy draw bows can also remove some of the shot anxiety. It's just one more aid in overcoming panic.

• 3 weeks later...

After shooting our 3D shoot at Thrill Of The Hunt I took off a month to get my back in shape... The target panic I had seemed to be related to my back issue's, not much of a suprise considering how importian your back is with shooting. Since then I have purchased a new Helium from Mathews, my 2nd bow. Went down to a 65 lbs with a 28" I shot a 259 last week and a 261 today with it, I did not shoot great but it was not bad... I hate getting up on Sundays for a 3 D shoot, Hunting yes 3D ahh not so much... LOL But it's fun!!! Suffolk 3D shoots are open to the public if anyone wants to join me... Next weekend is mothers day, no shoot... This is our calendar.

http://www.suffolkarchers.com/schedule.html

• 3 months later...

hey funny update... since i started this post i have pic the bow up a few times over the months without releasing a single arrow... i draw and break down. i have not picked it up in some time and i drew back yesterday and tried to hold on a small object at about 40yards and was able to hold it very easy! i have not worked much on the panic but just always have the thought of TP in my head and try to recognize the problem so i wonder if that helped any. cant wait to shoot!

• 3 weeks later...

no its not... i had it for a few years before i even knew what it was. practice pulling back, anchoring and never releasing that arrow. work on your form and taking your time, do not aim. I have been talking to myself mentally and trying to work on my form. every few shots or so my TP kicks in but i stop a few min calm down and try again. If i have to go back to drawing a few times with no release of the arrow i do so.

• 6 months later...

Lord knows how many archers have and still do suffer from "TP".

I have in the past, and am hopefully in "remission" now.

What helped me, as some of the guys have stated is blank bale shooting.

It works... what the eyes don't see, doesn't translate into brain/finger panic.

I might also add that shortening one's release so that the trigger finger (if using a trigger release),

is pointed 90 degrees down to the ground, with the trigger in the  2nd index finger joint...not the tip of the finger,

might also be advantageous.

Here's the most important tip... don't pull the trigger, rather compress your back muscles, which in turn

will shift the release arm rearward, and in doing so release an arrow.

Bare in mind that the bow hand, MUST

remain loose,quiet, no flinching, no dropping, no torqueing.

Practice this on a blank bale, eyes closed.

It will help your TP and your overall accuracy.

Be safe.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...