New regulations that we should all be aware of

Clamp

I just love this law.  They say we aren't allowed to attract wildlife by putting food out for them, but in the next paragraph say that food plots are OK.  Absolutely makes NO sense when you really think about it.  Like food plots aren't food and don't attract deer?? 

I think its because when feeding with corn or something the deer are very concentrated in one single area for example 5x5.  But, with a plot they can range from 1/4 an acre to tens of acres, and deer are spread out.  So there is less if any chance of disease spreading.

I think its because when feeding with corn or something the deer are very concentrated in one single area for example 5x5.  But, with a plot they can range from 1/4 an acre to tens of acres, and deer are spread out.  So there is less if any chance of disease spreading.

That and there was that problem with not knowing whats in the feed, ie. contaminents. Remember mad cow disease.

If I had enough land I would be more apt to grow a food that I could eat/sell, usually deer like those veggies too.

Steve863: Exactly right. The DEC is so hypocritical it is ridiculous. A 100 pound bag of corn spilled on the ground under your treestand is illegal but a 1/2 acre food plot of corn under the same stand is perfectly legal. Go figure.

But to the point. I do not put any food out for deer in front of my trail cams and follow the letter of the law no matter how stupid I believe it is.  I would rather see deer in their natural behavior at scrapes.

Buckstop, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of this law.  It really doesn't take a PhD to figure out what their saying doesn't make much sense!  I guess it's the perfect law for some hunters, though.  Food plot proponents would spin it everyway and upside down anyway, so the DEC might as well write the law in a senseless fashion.  LOL

Then you get into the splitting of hairs; What are considered attractants that are legal and what are the illegal baits?

Same scenario as corn; If I get a bushel of acorns or apples and put then under my stand I would be baiting...!?!

But it's legal to hunt from an oak or apple tree!?!

I can use C'mere Deer, but not Acorn Rage!?!

A salt lick is illegal, but I can make a mineral lick and be legal...?

I too follow the law the best I can, but "Baiting" is weakly defined.

Crazy!!!

I don't think you can use C'mere deer... I could be wrong. 

Edit ***

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Q:  What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?

A:  You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for  deer hunting.  However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral  lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year.  It is also illegal to feed deer.    Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving  powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may  entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant.    These types of produces would not be legal.

Based on that above, a mineral lick would be 100% illegal.  However, I am not sure about C'mere deer?

Stand corrected on two of the scenarios!!!

First off, I do NOT bait. I'm not encouraging it either!

Not arguing the legality or necessity of DEC's regulations in an attempt to prevent the spread of CWD.

There appears to be a lot of gray area within the regulation, which I'm not about to test in court!!!

Legal to use Acorn Rage Buck Bomb, but not the bagged product?

Isn't this aerosol scent alluded to as a lure? What about the curiosity scents, like vanilla or persimmon?  Baiting them in to a non-existent food source by means of an aerosol scent bomb!?!

Sitting in your stand eating lunch and throw the apple core on the ground, am I baiting or littering?

Haven't we all done this?

the reason for stoppig feeding was simple CWD. If one deer has cwd and eats from a concentrated food pile aka a pile of corn put out which by the way is baiting, you  can unfect a whole heard. The prion is spread through saliva.  One deer eats and then the next does in the same spot poof they have it.  In a field, it i smuch less probable  a deer will eat in exactly the same spot. I hear this every time I do a hunter ed class directly form the dec.

It's quite a complex web of rules and regulations, but I believe it all makes sense. I'm supposing that the purpose for the "no feeding" law is aimed specifically at activities that promote "swapping spit" or other ways that deer standing in or around a pile of food my ingest wastes from each other, which of course is all aimed at major methods of disease dispersal. I'm not sure why that is so confusing to anyone. It seems logical to me that it might be unhealthy to draw animals into one exact point to eat and deposit saliva, and body wastes on the food that the next individual will be eating.

Now, unless you have a food plot that is measured in a few square feet, there is no comparison at all to a pile of food or a trough full of food, or a mineral block. What is so hard to figure out about that? As far as natural occurring concentrations of food (apples, acorns, etc.), there's not a whole lot the DEC can do about that, is there? However, compounding a bad situation by allowing thousands of landownwers and homeowners to create more of an unhealthy situation doesn't make a lot of sense either.

So, I'm guessing that this particular law has a whole lot more thought and common sense behind it than people are willing to give the DEC credit for.

Doc

Well, as far as the buck bombs go, whether they are food or deer scented, it doesnt matter. The deer cant eat it, so its not illegal. As far as the apple core goes, as long as you arent throwing a pile of apple cores there, I highly doubt DEC would be able to charge you with anything. It wouldnt really be littering either, I dont think. Call the DEC and ask, then youll get the positive answer.