Home made scrape pics

Gencountyzeek

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I even have home made licking branches where I use a vine I can find and tie a rope across and hang it. Use some smokey's eye orbital and it works wonders. 

I have not tried it. But I've been hearing really good things about that "Smokies" scent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I am really interested in trying this. Never done it before. Just scrape and pee in it or do I need the dripper thing?

I like to use a dripper if its a spot that i dont have to walk thru to get to the stand or if its a regular known scrape.   Then it keeps my scent out of there.  But if i am walking by it already i will freshen one up when i am there.   

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I like to use a dripper if its a spot that i dont have to walk thru to get to the stand or if its a regular known scrape.   Then it keeps my scent out of there.  But if i am walking by it already i will freshen one up when i am there.   

I wanna do this about 20yds from my stand. 

What do you suggest?

smokey's is like crack. Highly recommend it.

Here's a pic of a home made scrape. Basically what we do is find a natural licking branch. If one doesn't exists you can bend a sapling or branch to make one (needs to be alive) and zip tie it into position so the deer can reach it. If there's nothing else available you can tie a string and use a freshly snipped vine or even a rope and put some of the smokey's orbial on it. Let it drip into the scrape. Make the scrape with a hand rake or stick. Pee in it or use some scrape mate. Might take a few times to freshen it up.

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.e070eb3b78067a7c9bcaad3fc2e26267.JPG

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

smokey's is like crack. Highly recommend it.

Here's a pic of a home made scrape. Basically what we do is find a natural licking branch. If one doesn't exists you can bend a sapling or branch to make one (needs to be alive) and zip tie it into position so the deer can reach it. If there's nothing else available you can tie a string and use a freshly snipped vine or even a rope and put some of the smokey's orbial on it. Let it drip into the scrape. Make the scrape with a hand rake or stick. Pee in it or use some scrape mate. Might take a few times to freshen it up.

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.e070eb3b78067a7c9bcaad3fc2e26267.JPG

Never heard of Smokey's Orbital. Got a link? Put it in the dripper?

20 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Never heard of Smokey's Orbital. Got a link? Put it in the dripper?

no, it comes with a dropper. I put 2 or 3 droppers onto the licking branch. 

18 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

WOW! 1.25 oz $32.95

https://www.amazon.com/Smokeys-Deer-Lure-Pre-Orbital-Gland/dp/B00LW6DYKO

yea, not going in the dripper

cheaper to buy @Biz-R-OWorld pee lmao

10 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

How often do you "refresh" the smokey's?

yeah shit isn't cheap lol. Oribital gland is different than pee. But it doesn't expire and I have the same bottle still half full from last year. 

I refresh my mock scrapes until the deer start hitting them, when they start hitting them I leave them alone. So hopefully by mid October i'm done messing with them. It takes longer for "new mock scrapes". Some of the ones I have that have been in the same spot for years don't even need a refresh. Typically I'm refreshing on any visits pre-season and then the first few hunts or so... if that. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

again, peed and orbital gland are not the same thing. Nobody needs smokey's to be successful, but it's out there for those who are interested. YRMV

True, but each buck rubs their orbital on it so you can't beat that

10 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I am really interested in trying this. Never done it before. Just scrape and pee in it or do I need the dripper thing?

I have a stand 15 yards from this spot. This is year 3 making a scrape here. Towards the end of october i may throw a dripper up but my own recipe seems to do just fine.

10 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

You don't need a dripper IMO.  You do need to do it where deer are passing through regularly and you do need a licking branch of some kind.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

You don't need a dripper IMO.  You do need to do it where deer are passing through regularly and you do need a licking branch of some kind.  

I agree, I've never used a dripper. The key is the licking branch and on or near a run. If you really want to go to the next level, you can create or use a sign posting route. Notice when you scout and find natural scrapes that if you keep walking the run or route you'll find another not that far down the road.

I like to use scrapes to maybe attract that shooter buck to move to where I want him to for the shot I want, instead of veering off or heck, not stopping at all!

• Like 1