a little confused about the new hunter orange requirements

Engraver99

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html#Fluorescent

Fluorescent Orange & Fluorescent Pink Clothing Requirements

New: Any person hunting deer or bear with a firearm or a person who is accompanying someone hunting deer or bear with a firearm shall wear:

1. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  2. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink consisting of no less than fifty percent fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  3. a hat or cap with no less than fifty percent of the exterior consisting of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material and visible from all directions.
Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Hopefully someone will clarify shortly. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

The law treats crossbows as a muzzleloader. 

A muzzleloader is any firearm into which the projectile is loaded from the muzzle of the gun (from the open end of the gun's barrel). Most (but not all) muzzleloaders used are considered antique firearms and are not defined as a “firearm” according to the Gun Control Act of 1968

Welcome to NY

Wear the orange/pink and be safe outdoors

Edited by suburbanfarmer

The bullshit crossbow law states we cant use them until the last 2 weeks of archery season. So I’ll take it as it’s bow season and a crossbow is a bow so the orange rule need not apply. Orange is for firearms season and a crossbow is not a firearm!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

The law treats crossbows as a muzzleloader. 

A muzzleloader is any firearm into which the projectile is loaded from the muzzle of the gun (from the open end of the gun's barrel). Most (but not all) muzzleloaders used are considered antique firearms and are not defined as a “firearm” according to the Gun Control Act of 1968

Welcome to NY

Wear the orange/pink and be safe outdoors

But it doesn't state anywhere that safety orange is required during the archery season while using a crossbow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Hence my comment about Welcome to NY , that has another clear as mud law/directive.

I guess there leaving it up to the DEC officers, lol.

I live a couple miles from the local officer. I'll stop by in the next day or two and ask him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do not need to wear orange with a crossbow, only with a firearm. 

The crossbow is subject to SOME of the same rules as a ML in NY, but that don’t make it a firearm.  

It sounds like some folks here are still a little confused by this.  The NY setback rules might help clear that up a bit for them, and indicates another example where the “SOME” applies.

You need to have permission from a building owner or tenant to fire a firearm (a ML is considered a firearm by all 50 states) within 500 feet.

The NY setback for a bow is 100 feet, and 250 feet for a crossbow.

If NY truly considered a crossbow a ML and/or a firearm, then the setback would be 500 feet.

I am very thankful that they don’t, because there are a bunch of buildings within 400 feet of the stand location, on which I have the highest hopes for my crossbow and the last two weeks of sz archery season. I don’t feel like knocking on all them doors for permission.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You do not need to wear orange with a crossbow, only with a firearm. 

The crossbow is subject to SOME of the same rules as a ML in NY, but that don’t make it a firearm.  

It sounds like some folks here are still a little confused by this.  The NY setback rules might help clear that up a bit for them, and indicates another example where the “SOME” applies.

You need to have permission from a building owner or tenant to fire a firearm (a ML is considered a firearm by all 50 states) within 500 feet.

The NY setback for a bow is 100 feet, and 250 feet for a crossbow.

If NY truly considered a crossbow a ML and/or a firearm, then the setback would be 500 feet.

I am very thankful that they don’t, because there are a bunch of buildings within 400 feet of the stand location, on which I have the highest hopes for my crossbow and the last two weeks of sz archery season. I don’t feel like knocking on all them doors for permission.

Makes sense the way you say it :) Use the setback as baseline