ML Bullet Trajectory Question

virgil

I shoot a 50 cal TC Omega, using 100 grains of triple 7 and a 250 gr bullet. 
It shot a nice group at 100 yards at the range yesterday. 
At 200 yards, the bullet hits more than 36” lower. 
I had never tried sighting in beyond 100 before and didn’t expect such a huge drop between 100 and 200 yards. 
Is it normal to have such a dramatic drop between 100 and 200?

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, virgil said:

I shoot a 50 cal TC Omega, using 100 grains of triple 7 and a 250 gr bullet. 
It shot a nice group at 100 yards at the range yesterday. 
At 200 yards, the bullet hits more than 36” lower. 
I had never tried sighting in beyond 100 before and didn’t expect such a huge drop between 100 and 200 yards. 
Is it normal to have such a dramatic drop between 100 and 200?

that dont sound normal at all the most it should be is maybe 6 inches low if that ..if you are using a scope check the rings especially the rear one   I had that happen once when the rear scope ring came loose from the base and it tipped the back of the scope up and it made the gun shoot low

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

Maybe I figured this wrong but a 250gr Shockwave with a BC of .250 at about 1700 fps dead on at 100 yards with a .452 diameter you should have -16+ out to 200 yards . 

All I'll add to long range shooting is practice practice practice 

• Like 1

I agree. Something isn’t right. 
After shooting a few shots at 100, i shot three times at 200. None of those shots hit paper. I aimed at the top edge of the target with the lowest reticle  on the 4th shot and hit the bottom of the paper. 
i swabbed the barrel after every second shot. Could it just have been fouled and needed a good cleaning?

23 hours ago, sbuff said:

I'd be starting back at 100 and triple check scope mounts .With T7 your trajectory should be approx; 
+ 1 inch at 50 yards, 0 at 100 yards, -5.2 at 150 yards, and -15.3 at 200 yards.

thanks very much.  That's what i figured- no way a bullet could drop that much.

But, as far as the scope mounts, it's shooting pretty consistently at 100.  i would think that if it were a scope issue, i'd be having issues at any range, no?

i'll take a look at it tonight.  Could it just be that it needs a very thorough cleaning?

Did you shoot at 100 after your 200 yard drop? That was why I suggested scope check. Perhaps the stock is loose to the lugs? I have shot off a fouled barrel but never seen a drop like you have.  Can you see through the flame channel on the breach plug?

What primer were you using ?

8 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Did you shoot at 100 after your 200 yard drop? That was why I suggested scope check. Perhaps the stock is loose to the lugs? I have shot off a fouled barrel but never seen a drop like you have.  Can you see through the flame channel on the breach plug?

What primer were you using ?

No, i shot 100 and then 200.  But, i did notice that it was very difficult to see through the scope- much more so than usual.  I'll bet you're right and there's something going on with the scope.

i'm gonna give it a good lookover tonight.

Just now, sbuff said:

What brand scope, they are subject to heavy recoil for sure . By chance were you using a lead sled?

Not sure of the brand- it came with the gun when i bought it from Cabela's.  No lead sled- shooting off sand bags.

What did you sight in at? (at what range is it dead on?). 

It may very well be dropping that much for you depending on what your actual rested dead on sight in is. It doesnt mean that it is actually dropping that much. Now, my patched round ball is sighted dead on at 25, and at 100 yards drops about 16 inches. No clue what it will do at 200. I cant see to hit that far, and never will find out.

The variable here is the velocity you don’t know how fast the bullet is traveling. A 250gr 45cal. Tipped bullet (most 50 sabots are 45cal bullets) with a BC of .175 at 1700fps will drop 16.8 inches at 200yds if sighted in for 100yds. At 1500fps it’s 21.6 inches. If everything else is good the unknown is velocity.

11 hours ago, sbuff said:

Go back and confirm zero at 100 then try 200.

Was i correct  its a 250gr Shockwave bullet ?

Yes, 250 Shockwave.

i'm gonna do exactly that.  i gave it a really good cleaning last night- it felt pretty cruddy deep in the barrel.  

Thanks for the advice and help.  Will let you know how it goes.