SAN JOSE CALIFORNIA IS POISED TO TAKE A STEP CLOSER TO FIRST IN THE NATION GUN OWNERSHIP REQUIREMENTS

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-jose-california-is-poised-to-take-a-step-closer-to-first-in-the-nation-gun-ownership-requirements/ar-AAT7Xjk?ocid=mailsignout

More nonsense that does not address the “People Violence” problem.  Just more harassment of law abiding firearm owners in the quest of some to restrict and/or prohibit the ownership of firearms.

The article states “Under San Jose's proposed law, gun owners would be charged an annual $25 fee directed to a nonprofit set up to distribute funds to gun crime prevention and to victims of gun violence.”

So will those firearm owners who have to pay this extortion have a say in the “nonprofit set up to distribute funds to gun crime prevention and to victims of gun violence”? 

Apparently the gun hating politicians who are unable or unwilling to attack the real root causes of “People Violence” want to punish law abiding firearm owners instead of criminals.

33 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't think making people pay a fee for exercising a Constitutional right will stand up to legal scrutiny, and the money will probably be used to further the attacks on the responsible gun owners forced to pay it.

While i agree, i'm not so sure. Do we pay for our pistol permit? I have had mine so long i can't remember. We do pay a NICS fee....

12 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

While i agree, i'm not so sure. Do we pay for our pistol permit? I have had mine so long i can't remember. We do pay a NICS fee....

Costing me right around $100.00

10 for forms 85 for fingerprints/background check etc.  Maybe another 10 for picture.

I'm in the middle of applying now .

• Like 1

Only because gun owners have voluntarily agreed to allow it.  The only way they can take our rights is when we voluntarily give them up, or by force.

Would the govt be Constitutionally allowed to add hundreds of fees and charges to your permit anytime they wished?  If gun owners allow it, they can.

Anti gun politicians want your guns and could easily remove your gun rights by making you pay $100,000 a year for a permit.  Why don't they? They could only get away with it if nobody fought it.

Edited by Grouse

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Costing me right around $100.00

10 for forms 85 for fingerprints/background check etc.  Maybe another 10 for picture.

I'm in the middle of applying now .

Think about that.  They say you are paying for a service.  Since when can the govt require you to pay for a service they impose on you in order to exercise a Constitutional right?  Since NY gun owners have agreed to go along with it, that's when.

My friend in NJ tells me they even add sales tax on to the cost of the NICS fee, because it's a service. :rolleyes:

And that's how they are winning.  If gun owners were united in one organization that would fight these things, representing a huge voting block that could toss any anti-gun politician out on his ass, these violations of your rights would never happen.  Alas, gun owners are not united, content to quarrel among themselves about stupid things, while the government shoves it up their behinds.

All of the above laws are unconstitutional but they stand and are enforced until someone challenges it through the legal system.  If it makes it to SCOTUS, they have the option of not taking it on.  Fees are not new.

The BIGGER issue here is not the fees, but "...and carry liability insurance."    Firstly, the government is forcing you to buy a product to exercise a right!  Blatantly unconstitutional.  Secondly, how much coverage $1M, $2M, $10M?  What will the premiums be?  Insurance companies can have a windfall field day with this.  Will it be like DMV where the Insurance company will notify the government if/when the policy lapses and now your permit is revoked?  You can be sure our Governor and politicians will be considering this for NY especially if SCOUTS rules pro-2A on carry permit.

Don't forget NY just passed a law against concealed carry insurance banning it's sale to permit holders.  They called it "Murder Insurance".  It was only good to cover your legal fees in the event a permit holder legally defended themselves and shot someone.  It wouldn't pay for your defense if it was a case of clear cut murder. 

This law also wound up cancelling the firearm theft insurance the same insurance company offered, as they were banned from NY by the AG for business license violations in the eyes of the AG.  They committed no crime and never got due process, just a legal bludgeoning by a rouge anti-gun NY State AG.  The AG just pulled their state license making them ineligible to conduct business in NY.  See why the state requires you to have a license for everything?  It makes it simple to pull your rights.

So how would it seem legal for the state to now turn around and order gun owners to get the same type of insurance they just destroyed?

49 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Don't forget NY just passed a law against concealed carry insurance banning it's sale to permit holders.  They called it "Murder Insurance".  It was only good to cover your legal fees in the event a permit holder legally defended themselves and shot someone.  It wouldn't pay for your defense if it was a case of clear cut murder. 

This law also wound up cancelling the firearm theft insurance the same insurance company offered, as they were banned from NY by the AG for business license violations in the eyes of the AG.  They committed no crime and never got due process, just a legal bludgeoning by a rouge anti-gun NY State AG.  The AG just pulled their state license making them ineligible to conduct business in NY.  See why the state requires you to have a license for everything?  It makes it simple to pull your rights.

So how would it seem legal for the state to now turn around and order gun owners to get the same type of insurance they just destroyed?

Are you talking about the NRA plan that was cancelled? They didn’t have a license to sell insurance in NY.

I carry theft and liability, valid in NY and world wide actually, through a member benefit program offered by a hunting organization. But its licensed properly.

There has been a liability law introduced in NY for many years. This years senate version is S4946, its in committee if one wants to read about it. It calls for 1 mil in coverage.

Edited by Dinsdale

Not True.  The NRA's carry insurance was offered by a licensed NY insurance company that also covered my firearms for theft and had done so for a long time.  All of that was cancelled by NY's AG.  they were accused of violating insurance law by offering coverage on illegal activity.

Are you covered for legal fees if you use one of your firearms to defend yourself?  I think not.