Thanks for all the updates guys. Looks like we're in the running for a dove season!

Saw George Maziarz last night at the Smelt Festival in Lewiston. If I'd have been aware of this bill I'd have bought him a beer or three and got him voting for our team..........

Contact him today! We need to get this bill out of committee however; so everybody needs to hammer the en con committee. Unless your under about age 5, this may be your last chance for a dove season in NY!

I keep hearing the same old (literally old) comments on every single sportsmen's issue that does not regard deer hunting and the deer herd.

OK. There were a couple of failed NY dove bills in the 1980s (which I will point out was before we had the internet as a fast &cheap communication tool). And... in 2006 the DEC mailed out 5,000 surveys asking hunters if they ever thought about dove hunting.... And as a result of that survey, the DEC decided to wait and posted a web page that is still posted saying so....

Fine. So what did the pessimistic sportsmen do in 1980 and in 2006? And what are they going to do in 2012 - that is DIFFERENT? What are they going to do to help pass NY SB-6968?

Does anyone actually believe ANYTHING can get done by do nothing other then dwelling on past failures?

I dont care what Bubba says, a shovel doesnt make you a gardener and a deer rifle doesnt make you a hunter. Instead of quoting Bubba; quote Einstien: "Insanity is doing the same thing that has not worked, over and over again and expecting a different outcome."

Dont wait for "them" and stop listening to bubba. We need to flood the legislature with contact and we need to become educated about doves, dove hunting, and how it relates to conservation funding and local economies and recruitment of new hunters. We need to EXCITE other sportsmen about dove hunting - generate interest in going dove hunting!

For those who are wondering what Mike is talking about, he has a PM going and keeps adding people to it, so theres some conversation going on that most of the site cant see.

Mike, you would be best served to have the conversation in the regular area of the forum, you will get the most response and visibility that way.

Second, I and probably others have tried to explain to you that you should consider starting up an advocacy group if you are this passionate about getting a dove season in NY. Ranting and raving on this site is not going to get anything done. Take a look at what the NYCC has started recently, they are doing great things for crossbow advocacy in NY, and I can say they did not start by trying to get a separate forum on this site. The person that stated it is a member on this site, maybe shoot him a PM and see if he would be willing to give you some ideas on getting your group started.

Just keep things relevant and not inflammatory to the anti-hunting lobby.

We are NOT addressing the anti-hunters. We ARE addressing:

1) Hunters who are not familiar with dove hunting, to generate their interest in it.

2) NY and NJ Legislature to educate them about:

a) Effect of dove hunting on the local economies of rural communities.

B) Effect of dove hunting on conservation funds derived from the excise tax on hunting equipment.

c) The recreational aspect of dove hunting, including how it is different from other forms of hunting.

Dove Hunting Advocates/Lobbyists Wanted!

Would you help NY and NJ hunters lobby for a dove hunting season? Please review the following sites and get back to me. You can also sign up to receive e- mail update info from #1 and #2 below.

1) Send email asking to subscribe to: [email protected]

2) httpp://www.ussportsmen.org/legislative-action/new-york-bill-would-pave-the-way-for-dove-hunting-season/

3) Take a look at this Anti - Hunting You Tube Channel which shows the misery they gave the state of Iowa for 10 years in trying to legalize dove hunting: retiren11w

4) Go to these 3 message boards and look under the political/legislative forums for dove hunting. This will provide insight into what is going on and the attitudes of the hunters.

http://huntingny.com

http://nytrappers.proboards.com

http://www.newjerseyhunters.com

We need videos; speakers, writers, phone callers, bloggers.

Partners #1

Iowa’s ten year battle for a dove season was won with the help of Iowa Chapter of Safari Club International; Pheasants Forever, National Wild Turkey Federation, Iowa Trappers Association, and the Iowa Bow hunters Association.

We need to compel our state’s equivalents to help us pass NY SB- 6968, the “dove bill”; just like their sister organizations did in Iowa.

We will produce a series of contact sheets for you to contact these organizations and ask them to please get on the bus! The first organization this notice will address is the Safari Club International.

The Safari Club as of today, 3pm; has no information posted about SB-6968. We need to contact the Safari Club and tell them we ARE interested in a dove season to give priority to senate bill -6968! Call Nikki Lucas at the Washington DC office for hunting advocacy and science based conservation: (800) 711-8315. Then Email the New York Chapter reps:

Larry Stiener: [email protected]

William J. Scheg, Jr.: [email protected]

Mark Zucco: [email protected]

Tristate Rep: Michael S. Clifford: [email protected]

Mark Mann: [email protected]

Form Letter to Advocates/Partners

TO: Safari Club International, NY Bow-Hunters, NY Trappers Association, National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants Forever, Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation

Cc. US Sportsmen’s Alliance C/O Jeremy Rymes

Dear Sportsmen’s Advocate;

NY currently has legislation pending in the senate environmental conservation committee which would increase federal conservation funds to our state. It also would give the DEC authority to eventually set a dove hunting season. The NY “dove bill” is SB-6968.

The state of Iowa recently won a ten-year long battle for a dove season. Videos of some of the last eleven Iowa dove hearings are available on YouTube on the channel retiren11w.

Iowa wing-shooters had help this time. The Iowa Bow Hunters Assoc., Iowa Trappers Assoc., Iowa Chapter of Safari Club International, National Wild Turkey Federation, and Pheasants Forever were facilitative in getting a dove season in Iowa.

I am writing on behalf of all sportsmen to ask your member roster or lobbyist to contact the NY legislature in support of SB-6968.

Went dove hunting a few times in Alabama, and they arent kidding when they said they were difficult to hit. Though I dont think we have quite the population of birds the south has.

I would agree with you.

I've been dove hunting in Maryland since 1969. Back then the area around the Chesapeake and north and west adjacent to the Virginia border were flush with agricultural fields and crops. Those corn and soybean fields along with conveniently planted sunflower plots really drew in the birds. Shooting could be fast and furious and you could easily go through boxes of shells in an hour. Dove shooting back then was phenomenal, and remained good until the early 80's. Then a strange thing happened. The metro rail system was extended to the 'burbs of MD and all that farmland changed into housing developments and strip malls and shopping centers for folks who commuted and worked in the Washington D.C. area. My uncle still has his farm in MD, but he's surrounded by urban sprawl and rich politicians with fancy riding stables and foreign diplomats who own land around him. The dove hunting isn't close to what it used to be any more. Deer hunting is good, but access to what is left of private land is limited.

New Jersey conducted a study for dove hunting back in 2006, no doubt more than an odd coincidence that New York conducted one as well. Based on numbers polled in 2006, on a national level, 1.238 million hunters were active 5.893 million days and spent $729 million pursuing doves in the U.S. In 2006 New Jersey based (assumed) their participation on approximately half of their hunters who purchased a waterfowl stamp. The numbers weren't encouraging, with 14,491 waterfowl stamps purchased. And last year only 11,551 waterfowl stamps were purchased. Like every other state, hunter numbers are on the downswing. And while New Jersey's WMA lands would be the most logical areas for dove hunting, they are not planted with many crops and doves in these areas would be very limited. And NJ has other problems. The State of NJ has neither the time nor additional monetary resources to battle the anti's who will come out in force to counter the dove hunt. As one biologist explained to me; "The problem is the animal rights advocates are extremely well organized and vocal whereas sportsmen are not. Anti-hunters don't give a hoot about data or reason - it's all about their emotions, and you know how politicians are." The State's legal team and biologists are busy spending effort, time and money battling for a bear hunt each season.

In Iowa's case it came down to participation from hunters, their numbers, and the amount of money they could infuse back into the state's economy. They sell something like 170,000 resident hunting licenses each year, and another 50,000 non-resident licenses. That's a hefty pool of people who would vote their opinion positively if polled or asked to get involved.

Let’s see how long this list can get…. Fill in the blank: I am ________________and I want to hunt doves!

I am a paraplegic and I want to hunt doves!

I am a senior citizen and I want to hunt doves!

I am a person with arthritis and I want to hunt doves!

Back problems

Asthma

Limited resources or Fixed income

A parent

A guardian

A child

A grandparent

A grandchild

An uncle

An Aunt

A nephew

A niece

A husband

A wife

A boyfriend

A girlfriend

A novice

A person who never hunted but adopted a retriever breed from a shelter

A dog rescue volunteer with a bunch of bored dogs

A person whose doctor prescribed light exercise

A person with a busy schedule

A person who cannot handle heavy recoil & loud report

A hunter with an ageing retriever who just can’t do the ducks anymore

I have many Morning Doves that come to the bird feeder and they have to be the stupidest birds in the world . When blackbirds show up , I rap on the window and the blackbirds take off . The doves just wander around wondering what just happened . Hunt them down and maybe they will become extinct like the Dodo birds .

I couldn't care less if there was a dove season but I wouldn't support it .

To get a shootable # of doves you would have to plant a field of millet or equivalent crop and then mow half of it down and leave it on the ground to bring them in. I dont think it would be legal to throw birdseed on the ground and hunt over it. :lol:

I can say though they are rather tasty and easy to clean.

I have many Morning Doves that come to the bird feeder and they have to be the stupidest birds in the world . When blackbirds show up , I rap on the window and the blackbirds take off . The doves just wander around wondering what just happened . Hunt them down and maybe they will become extinct like the Dodo birds .

Send all the dumb ones my way.........

dovehunt.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

Until you've done it, you don't know what your misssing!

September, cool weather, good dog (maybe out of shape a bit) a couple boxes of #7 1/2 20ga., bucket w/swivel seat, cigar, Diet Pepsi, cheap sunglasses and good friends.

Are you kidding?

Awesome.....................................

September, cool weather

Every year for Maryland's opener, the temperatures were usually in the 90's, with humidity that would drench you. It was not uncommon to get a "dove tan" while sitting on field edges and along fence lines. But it was always a fun time.

To get a shootable # of doves you would have to plant a field of millet or equivalent crop and then mow half of it down and leave it on the ground to bring them in. I dont think it would be legal to throw birdseed on the ground and hunt over it. :lol:

I can say though they are rather tasty and easy to clean.

Federal Law specifically addresses food plots for doves. Manipulating a crop to attract migratory gamebirds is considered baiting and is illegal. You cant scatter waste grain unless it is in the normal course of agriculture. Same applies for waterfowl, but the fed regs expressively mention mourning doves - look it up if you dont believe me.

Granted classical dove hunting is portrayed as during the peak of migration in harvested grain or sunflowers. However, doves overwinter like resident geese and sizable flocks of doves use a wide variety of habitats. Even if you are not hunting in the classical way; doves are still the most numerous and widespread gamebird. Even if it wasnt the best dove hunting that exists, it would still be incredible hunting.

Non hunters, antis, and city slickers will say the same thing about whitetails and turkeys.... And - mourning doves will never become extinct like Dodo birds. Or passenger pigeons...

Did you start your facebook support page yet?

No, we are working on a video. It will be available soon. Like I said, it would be great if someone else could launch the facebook page. Still not sure if social media is the way to reach an ageing population of hunters, small game hunters particularily, who are even older on average. Plus too may trendy anti hunter types on social media, isnt that true?

And while New Jersey's WMA lands would be the most logical areas for dove hunting, they are not planted with many crops and doves in these areas would be very limited. And NJ has other problems. The State of NJ has neither the time nor additional monetary resources to battle the anti's who will come out in force to counter the dove hunt. As one biologist explained to me; "The problem is the animal rights advocates are extremely well organized and vocal whereas sportsmen are not. Anti-hunters don't give a hoot about data or reason - it's all about their emotions, and you know how politicians are." The State's legal team and biologists are busy spending effort, time and money battling for a bear hunt each season.

Message me about who that biologist is, I want to talk to him. The additional conservation funding obtained from desinating doves a gamebird and/or hunting of doves; could be put into habitat for doves, it may be crops or it may be native plants which produces massive tonnages of birdseed - these habitat enhancements would not only benifet doves, but many other species including nongame and listed species.

It is the state's wildlife divisions obligation to fight court battles against policies which are not ecologically sound and that isnt a budget consideration. Groups like the Humane Society should be held accountable for frivilous lawsuits and made to pay back the states legal costs.

Nonprofit hunting advocacy organizations also help states. Problem is sportsman arent getting on their backs about doves. I recently complained to the Congressional Sportsmens Caucus that they were not properly representing hunters by wasting resources fighting a lead shot ban. I explained that they were misleading and incorrect that sciencetific consensus does not support the ban and that ingested lead shot does not impact birds. I also explained that if you take lead shot out of the equation; that the anti hunting lobby has nothing to stand on except "doves are special" and doves are peaceful". Thus, fighting a lead shot ban is actually counterproductive to establishing dove seasons in the handful of states which dont hunt doves.

No, we are working on a video. It will be available soon. Like I said, it would be great if someone else could launch the facebook page. Still not sure if social media is the way to reach an ageing population of hunters, small game hunters particularily, who are even older on average. Plus too may trendy anti hunter types on social media, isnt that true?

If the goal is to spread the word, why wouldnt you use all of the resources available to you? If social media wouldnt be a good way to spread the word, what makes you think this website is?

Heard you the 1st time ! B)

Dove hunting compared to other forms of hunting is low-exertion and not equipment intensive. For those reasons, in addition to the wide-spread abundance of doves; hunting them provides more opportunity than any other form of hunting.

Low-exertion does not mean easy. Hunting any species involves knowledge of your quarry and doves are no exception. Hunters must apply that knowledge to locate dove habitat, determine the pattern of the birds, and select a well hidden vantage point and be patient.

The difficulty of shooting a dove is legendary. A shotgun is effective up to 40 yards. A dove can be in and out of range in seconds. Not as wary as a crow, but you must be well hidden and make your move at the right moment or you won’t get a shot off. Even top clay target shooters find doves extremely challenging. In clay target shooting the flight line and speed of the target is constant. You know when the target is coming; where it is coming from; where it is going, and what lead technique to use. Not so with game-birds and as a matter of fact when a dove detects a hunter it accelerates and changes direction. Dove hunting requires you to make your move at the precise correct moment and choose the appropriate shooting technique within the moment the bird is within range and if the bird detects you, adapt your method to the bird’s reaction.

If the goal is to spread the word, why wouldnt you use all of the resources available to you? If social media wouldnt be a good way to spread the word, what makes you think this website is?

Might do that. I got other things going on related to this. Nice if someone else would launch the facebook. But like I said, I am concerned about educating people I would rather remain uneducated. They are ussually there own worst enemy. Not closed minded to facebook, just not there on the list.