Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts?

TheHunter

Antler Restrictions Poll  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Antler Restrictions Poll

• Yes - I
    • Nope - I
    • Give it a few years to see the results
    • Not Sure

yeah i don get it, your still going on about AR, 98 pages later. if anything maybe you should get with the DEC since you know so much about AR and inform them how it should be instead of trying to convey to a room of hunters what AR really is...

just my opinion....

AR, its a friggin restriction on antlers to give lesser qaulity buck the chance to grow! jesus christ!!

it cant be put more simpler then that!!!!

Well then if that is all it's really about, I guess I am guilty of practicing that already.

We hunt several properties, and let them little fella walk past us all the time.

I personally will take the biggest (oldest)doe I can while I am out.  And if I see a buck that has a screwed up looking rack on him, I will take him if I can.

When hunting on State and Federal land,  I guess I am guilty again of being a trophy hunter.

I will scout out the area and "if" I can find a wall hanger, I will target that animal all season, if I get it then fine, if nt I will look for it next season.

The big bucks by you must be very smart!

One thing I can say was there were more does this year than I have seen in a long time. Last day of season 6 came by my stand and I had a doe permit and didn't take the shot. Hope to see more next year along with a few bucks. Those does didn't get here on their own.

Dave                   

ar is a tool to increase the age structure in the buck herd.  feeders don't do that.

yup.

either side of the argument, when open minded and having an unbias perspective will easily see the lack of education NY hunters have and that is matriculating from the lack of understanding our DEC has

never hunted over a feeder but have food plots for several years and yet to kill a mature deer over it but yound deer i see all the time.

food plots dont = mature buck

That is true, also have seen trail cam photos over pile of corn and no mature bucks there either. You can't hunt what you don't have.

Dave

Joe, then in the simplest term possible in one post please explain EXACTLY what AR is, since you seem to be the only one here who knows what it means!! please i ask you to explain it in

1 post...    i dont want a followup post about your origonal i want you to state for the record YOUR definition of AR and hat it means.

if you think it has nothing to do with a retriction implemented on lesser quality bucks and by that i mean we will say anything under an 8 wont be shot, to give those smaller bucks a chance to grow. If you think thats not souly what AR is about then your crazy man... QDM and Ar are two totally different practices. AR promotes rack size in a herd nothing more nothing less and honestly only benefits the hunter in real world siutations. i seriously do not even know what you are trying to say any more lol i really dont... no offence Joe. like i said explain to me what AR means since we all have it wrong. it would not make a world of a difference to me if AR was spread state wide, i let smaller bucks walk all season for seasons on end. but it does you NO real good to pass on smaller bucks if its not the law. yoy can be passing smaller deer and your neighbor can be hammering them...

Joe, then in the simplest term possible in one post please explain EXACTLY what AR is, since you seem to be the only one here who knows what it means!! please i ask you to explain it in

1 post...    i dont want a followup post about your origonal i want you to state for the record YOUR definition of AR and hat it means.

if you think it has nothing to do with a retriction implemented on lesser quality bucks and by that i mean we will say anything under an 8 wont be shot, to give those smaller bucks a chance to grow. If you think thats not souly what AR is about then your crazy man... QDM and Ar are two totally different practices. AR promotes rack size in a herd nothing more nothing less and honestly only benefits the hunter in real world siutations. i seriously do not even know what you are trying to say any more lol i really dont... no offence Joe. like i said explain to me what AR means since we all have it wrong. it would not make a world of a difference to me if AR was spread state wide, i let smaller bucks walk all season for seasons on end. but it does you NO real good to pass on smaller bucks if its not the law. yoy can be passing smaller deer and your neighbor can be hammering them...

I have posted it several times on a couple threads... I'm getting tired of repeating it... lets just say.. it isn't about trophy buck hunting

As for passing on small bucks.. I don't caare if you or your naighbor shoot the buck I pass on... I pass on them because I choose to pass on them... if I pass on a young buck that leaves a chance that he may survive... If I kill him ... I am 100% sure that he will never grow to fill in another age class in the buck population... it's that simple.

You're right, me passing on a buck is not going to have much impact on any overall management improvement... personally I don't pass on bucks thinking its going to change anything. I do it because I personally think its the right thing to do.. and frankly, young bucks are so easy to find and kill that I don't find it a challange.

What others do has no influence on my choice of hunting.. I do it to satisfy me... Like you.. a statewide AR will not impact my hunting experience what so ever... as I have stated many times before.. in my opinion I still think AR's are a good idea along with any solid management plan, but thats my position on the subject if asked... I am not lobbying for any program or really care one way or the other if it ever happens in NY.

But, I am very well versed on the subject and have done numerous seminars on the subject as well... long before most guys on this forum ever heard of it. I am only interested on passing on correct info... to help combat the BS that most of the guys spout...

Other than that.. I just think its an interesting topic

I have posted it several times on a couple threads... I'm getting tired of repeating it... lets just say.. it isn't about trophy buck hunting

As for passing on small bucks.. I don't caare if you or your naighbor shoot the buck I pass on... I pass on them because I choose to pass on them... if I pass on a young buck that leaves a chance that he may survive... If I kill him ... I am 100% sure that he will never grow to fill in another age class in the buck population... it's that simple.

You're right, me passing on a buck is not going to have much impact on any overall management improvement... personally I don't pass on bucks thinking its going to change anything. I do it because I personally think its the right thing to do.. and frankly, young bucks are so easy to find and kill that I don't find it a challange.

What others do has no influence on my choice of hunting.. I do it to satisfy me... Like you.. a statewide AR will not impact my hunting experience what so ever... as I have stated many times before.. in my opinion I still think AR's are a good idea along with any solid management plan, but thats my position on the subject if asked... I am not lobbying for any program or really care one way or the other if it ever happens in NY.

But, I am very well versed on the subject and have done numerous seminars on the subject as well... long before most guys on this forum ever heard of it. I am only interested on passing on correct info... to help combat the BS that most of the guys spout...

Other than that.. I just think its an interesting topic

Well put.

Dave

Just curious Rocket is there suppose to be some deep meaning to these threads or any forum for that matter... none of this banter is important to me at all... just a good way to pass the time and participate in some good debate... I love all the different opinions and get a good laugh out of guys like you that have no idea what they are talking about ;)  and occasionally I learn something that I didn't know. Kinda like hanging out with buddies without hanging out with buddies... I even have one buddy who is a lot like you.. he was kicked in the head by a horse when he was younger and doesn't make much sense either. :D